Don't you think it's time to forgive Bill Callahan?

I would be the happiest man in America if somehow he came back to NU as O-line coach or O-coordinator.

O-Line coach? Maybe

O-coord? No. No. No. No. Did he have a decent offense at times? Sure, but where was the offense in any big game? Absolutely non-existant.

I would be the happiest man in America if somehow he came back to NU as O-line coach or O-coordinator.

O-Line coach? Maybe

O-coord? No. No. No. No. Did he have a decent offense at times? Sure, but where was the offense in any big game? Absolutely non-existant.

Exactly.

I like our offense as it is evolving. We don't need someone back that didn't understand how to mold an offense to the talent you have on the team.

As an O line coach would be the absolute only position I would even consider. However, his attitude towards anything Husker that came before him would now allow me to hire him again. Someone in the position of coach on our team needs to understand that you build upon what has come before you and you appreciate that. Billy C never understood that.

@knapplc

You're right, all of my threads are displaying viewpoints that are relatively uncommon. I did that for a reason.

The value for me in this website is not achieved in me starting a topic that reflects a relatively common viewpoint, which I know it may not seem like it, but I do Hold many common sentiments as an average NU fan. But I learn nothing new by posting diatribes that are a regurgitation of LJS or OWH content. Everyone will just agree and nothing is achieved.

Virtually all of my threads reflect uncommon viewpoints because I like to bounce my bizarre theories and ideas off other husker fans to see whether there is merit to them or not and I also enjoy hearing other husker fans' interpretations. There have been a few instances where posters have offered their insight and I became persuaded of their viewpoints.

I stand by all of those threads save for the Bowl game thread. The bowl game's pass defense was indeed abysmal and that thread was started more as my paranoid reaction as something to quell the fire-Bo sentiment after the CCG. The DB's in the Cap1 game contributed to the loss more than any other position group, but I wasn't completely off-base in that thread. I said we would hang with Georgia for a half to 3 quarters, and It should be noted that at least one of Martinez's INT's and AA's fumble proved unbelievably costly.

And Andrew Rodriguez's miscues on the drive after Georgia tied the game at 31 stalled out the drive (holding and getting schooled by Jones) and caused the Georgia fans in the stadium to turn up the noise considerably.

I'm not quite the basket-case your post seems to imply, but I do certainly have some alternative viewpoints on some husker subjects. I won't start threads with subjective opinion anymore if you think it's becoming too much of a disruption. I have no problem people calling me an idiot for having those views because I like to hear other husker fans' take on topics that are not your run-of-the-mill husker subjects, and I may learn something new.

Hope that clarifies the thought process behind those posts

I blame Callahan for not understanding the culture at the University of Nebraska and the state of Nebraska as a whole. He treated everything like he was coaching a pro team and that is not right. He could have won more games his first year, with a different approach, by the time he realized that it was too late. He was willing to scrap 2004 in order to build what he wanted.

The person that can never be forgivin is Pederson. The program didn't need to be dumped and started over in a new direction it needed to be tweeked and I think Solich was on the right track with the changes he made. He put together an outstanding staff that was putting together a pretty nice recruiting class when the firings took place. I'm sorry you don't fire a 9 win, most likely 10 win coach ever. He had some great coaches on that staff that knew the culture and knew what Nebraska stood for. They deserved the chance to get better.

Do you think it's time for Husker fans to admit the healing process from 2007 is over and to forgive Bill Callahan for his debacle of a tenure at DONU?

I think the man is unfairly given too bad of a rap by Husker fans. Believe me, he deserves some flak for the collapse of the program, but I disagree when Husker fans state or insinuate he had an ulterior motive in destroying the program on purpose. He wanted to win just as bad, if not more, than the rest of us because his salary was riding on it, he was just bad at doing it. His two biggest downfalls were basically hiring Kevin Cosgrove as DC and marginalizing the tradition of NU. The man could recruit and had a powerful offense. He diminished the walk-on program, which believe me, I love as one of our program cornerstones, but I can see his thinking in trying to focus energy and resources on recruiting big-name blue-chip recruits. He also shut out former players, which won't help your support if you're losing, but if we were winning alot, I suspect most people wouldn't care. Can you think of the program if he had decided to retain Bo Pelini as DC? (I know that was probably unrealistic because Bo probably would've bolted on his own anyway after Steve Pedersen passed him over) ?

I shake my head lately at any Bill Callahan related article here 5 years after his last season. Husker fans, without fail, spit the most venomous comments about him which I think is a poor representation of us as a fan base. Let's just move on since our program has stabilized and be happy for the man in his recent NFL O-line success, I root for him to do well wherever he goes. We should not wish the man ill-will towards his future ventures. Part of the cognitive years of my Husker fandom were in his tenure, and even though we were nowhere good as the '90's I still appreciate many of the Husker memories from that era.

If anything the real target of Husker Nation's anger should be directed toward Steve Pedersen for not hiring Bo the first time back in 2003. He was correct in firing Solich, but the mistake was not hiring Bo and hiring BC. But what was BC supposed to do, refuse the job? Quit after a bad season? No self-respecting coach would do that. He tried, failed, but we're back to relative calm. Ironically it was him hiring a buddy (Coz) which contributed to his downfall. Bo has produced better results making defense the foundation of his program, but a lot of the criticisms toward his failures are that he hires pals over experienced professionals. Just food for thought. I respect the hell out of Bill Callahan as an offensive coach, but not a head coach obviously. I would be the happiest man in America if somehow he came back to NU as O-line coach or O-coordinator.

meh. totally moved on. yes i remember how bad it was, but ive totally moved on.....lifes too short...

@Sir Alex

This thread, not a good idea. I'm not sure if you did or didn't like Clownahan, but he completely obliterated the long historic tradition of a program. We're all pretty much agreed to the fact that Pedersen's hiring of BC set the program back years due to BC being a raging egotistical douchebag.

I'm old enough to remember the pain of the late 80's, very early 90's when the Huskers would be in a big time situation, they'd fold like superman on laundry day. Then being able to watch the resurgence during the mid to late 90's, were the halcyon days of this program. And then the Solich mess and the unmitigated dumpster fire that was the reign of BC.

If you posted this to ruffle some feather, you succeeded. If you did this to post a contrary point of view, then there are other subjects that probably would have been a better choice.

Every head coach is a raging egotist. This idea that Bo worships and carries on old Nebraska traditions while BC snidely set out to stomp on them just because is just that, an idea. I think the fanbase needs to come to terms with the fact that Bill Callahan was just not a good head coach, and not cling to the idea that he was anti-Nebraska evil.

We will run out some good guys from here on the loose basis of "not doing things the old-fashioned way", and give too much rope to others if we stick to silly criteria.

This idea that Bo worships and carries on old Nebraska traditions while BC snidely set out to stomp on them just because is just that, an idea.

Even as a caricature, nobody believes this. Bo is a better fit than Callahan, but not by leaps and bounds. Bo is doing things his way and they're not necessarily "the Nebraska way," which is always a rather nebulous concept anyway.

Hate should be reserved for those who engage in deliberately destructive practices that have/will continue to hurt a program. I'm thinking of explicit NCAA violation kinds of stuff. Callahan, although not the most tactful in some situations (calling Osborne a "crusty old f***" "f***ing hillbillies" at OU) actually has had less outbursts and less foot-in-mouth moments than Pelini. Now this isn't an attack on Pelini, but if you consider that he didn't bring about violations, wasn't really a bad face for the team, recruited high-performing players...I don't see what there is to hate, or not to forgive...

BC did everything he could to try and make his own tradition here and failed miserably in doing so. Now i wouldn't say I have forgave him but I guess the best way to say it is that I'm over it. Now having said that there is no way I will forget the Callahan years. I can remember sitting at a football game for my JUCO in Kansas when the announced over the loud speaker that we beat Ball St. by 1. I caught more crap from the game from KU and K-state fans than I did most loses. Very hard times thats for sure.