Bob Stoops comments on the SEC..

What are you guys thoughts on this? Stoops commented on how a lot of the "SEC dominance" was just propaganda. He continued to say that the SEC was strong and the top and terribly weak at the bottom and was not the strongest top to bottom. I've heard a few say that the Big 12 is stronger top to bottom; which I would agree with. As a Southern Miss fan in MS, I hear my share of SEC propaganda from the lesser schools in our state who think they own the place.

"So [the SEC] had the best team in college football. They haven't had the whole conference. Because, again, half of 'em haven't done much at all. I'm just asking you. You tell me." —Bob Stoops

He's got a point.

There are several threads on HuskerBoard echoing the sentiments of Stoops. The SEC has a couple of great teams at the top and then there is some major drop off after that to get to the good teams in the middle and then a bottomless pit to get to the terrible teams. Personally, there are a few conferences that are better top to bottom

What are you guys thoughts on this? Stoops commented on how a lot of the "SEC dominance" was just propaganda. He continued to say that the SEC was strong and the top and terribly weak at the bottom and was not the strongest top to bottom. I've heard a few say that the Big 12 is stronger top to bottom; which I would agree with. As a Southern Miss fan in MS, I hear my share of SEC propaganda from the lesser schools in our state who think they own the place.

Most conferences are not good top to bottom. I tend to agree with Stoops. The top end of the SEC is really good, but the bottom 5 aren't anything special. The SEC rarely if ever gets out of their confort zone. They rarely travel anywhere out of the deep south to play.

But Stoops is correct on the propaganda part, especially with the media. Last year was so evident that it isn't even funny. How many of those SEC teams did the media help out in the polls? Bama was helped out big time while KSU and Oregon got screwed...The new SEC network will show you how bad it is when ESPN has invested 100% of the cost and yet are giving the SEC 50% of profits.

I agree 100% with Stoops. I have said that the SEC is not as good as many think. Sure Alabama is, but they are not the whole SEC. I believe the Big 12 and the B1G are stronger from top to bottom, than the SEC is. Our weakest links... Purdue, Indiana and possibly Illinois, and I think all 3 of those teams would give the SEC bottom 6 a very good battle. Iowa, after last year's performance could be put there too I guess. Adding Maryland and Rutgers doesn't help out this argument though.

From top to bottom, as much as I hate to say this... the Big 12 is the strongest.

Northwestern beat TWO SEC teams last year.

This conversation is over.

Look, I hate the SEC but they beat Vandy and Miss. St and they were the bottom feeders in the conference.

Bottom feeders that were ranked high during the year (Miss. St.) and are ranked in preseason polls (Vandy). That is the point. Their bottom feeders get credibility by association. It is a joke.

i agree with knapp. if you are not first, you are last. this argument, although interesting, is meaningless. who cares who has better bad teams? the only thing that matters is who has the best team. also, the sec does have a strong enough top (bama, georgia, south carolina, lsu, aTm) to make up for its pathetic bottom.

Until someone dethrones the SEC, they are as good as they say they are. They are head and shoulders better than any other conference right now, and have been for several years.

I have to agree with this. 7 MNCs in a row? That's crazy.

Stoops has a reason to put down the SEC, recruiting. Most of OUs players come from Texas. Now there is a Texas school in the SEC.

If A&M plays their cards right, they will be a force.

They definitely have the elite. They are stacked at the top. However, their bottom sucks. The problem is that the media props up the conference as a whole, so any win in the SEC is viewed as huge (Kentucky, Ole Miss, etc.) It is a self fulfilling prophecy.