Bob Stoops comments on the SEC..

And why does they SEC always have those 2-3 of the top 5 teams?

That's right. The damned propaganda. NO other team could lose a game, at home, costing them the division AND a conference championship game appearence only to be left high enough in the rankings to be able to regain a spot in the NC game a mere 3 weeks later.

Very true. There is no excuse for Okie State not being in the NC game 2 years ago, or even Stanford. Nobody except SEC homers and ESPN wanted to watch a rematch of Bama and LSU...

Okie State lost to Iowa State. Alabama lost to LSU. I agree about not wanting to watch the rematch, but that is the system's fault.

Okie State lost AT ISU right after the plane crash. Alabama lost at home and only scored six points.

Okie State won their conference. Alabama didn't win their division.

I agree, it is the system's fault.

Just look at this last year...Bama lost to Aggy and dropped 3 spots; KSU lost to Baylor and dropped 7; Oregon lost to Stanford and dropped 5. It is all hypocritical bullsh#t from ESPN and their cronies in the SEC.

Frickin Bama has lost home games, IN NOVEMBER, in EACH of their last two title runs, and still find a way to get back to the title game. One with even being able to play for the conference championship. Now, cudos to them for making the most of it, but, do they get back to that position without the SEC being overblown as this end all king of college football?

Northwestern beat TWO SEC teams last year.

This conversation is over.

+1

Kentucky lost to Louisville & Western Kentucky.

Arkansas lost to ULM & Rutgers

Ol Miss lost to Texas

Auburn lost to Clemson

LSU lost to Clemson

Miss St lost to Northwestern

Mizzou lost to Syracuse

Florida lost to Louisville

This just shows me that their conference is far from elite over the other conferences. Just because they happen to always have two of the most dominant teams nationally doesn't mean that the rest of the conference is as hard to deal with. Texas aTm showed that. One year removed from the Big XII they stepped right in and competed for the division.

Not to mention that Kentucky and Vanderbilt didn't beat ANY TEAM with end of season record above .500. I am not sure about the other teams, but those 2 for sure.

Mississippi State only beat 1 more team over .500 than USM did last year.. Middle Tennessee State.

Until someone dethrones the SEC, they are as good as they say they are. They are head and shoulders better than any other conference right now, and have been for several years.

Have to disagree with you here. There was not a Big Ten team that was terribly outmatched by the SEC team they played. Are they the best conference? Yes. Head and shoulders? Not a chance. That gap isn't as wide as people say.

• Fire 1

It really depends on how you define "best". If best means "win the national championship," which seems fairly obvious, then yes, the SEC is the best conference in the nation, as they have won 7 MNCs in a row.

So they've produced the best team seven years in a row, but that doesn't necessarily make it the best conference. The best conference is the conference that continually outperforms other conferences in head to head match ups (ie more wins vs conferences). Conference A's #5 team should be able to consistently beat Conference B's #5 team. Here's a look at conference vs conference records:

||||||||| SEC ||| ACC ||| BXII ||| B1G ||| PAC ||| Winning Records

SEC ||| - ||| 280-135 ||| 75-63 ||| 77-53 ||| 67-39 ||| 4

ACC ||| 135-280 ||| - ||| 39-49 ||| 50-65 ||| 20-30 ||| 0

BXII ||| 63-75 ||| 49-39 ||| - ||| 170-229 ||| 135-121 ||| 2

B1G ||| 53-77 ||| 65-50 ||| 229-170 ||| - ||| 234-242 ||| 2

PAC ||| 39-67 ||| 30-20 ||| 121-135 ||| 242-234 ||| - ||| 2

So even by that definition, the SEC is the best conference. The B1G, PAC 12, and Big XII are all interchangeable, and the ACC is the bottom of this list.

But this is data from a huge time frame--perhaps a better definition of the best conference would be a look at these records over the past 7 years, the same amount of time the SEC title game dominance started.

It really depends on how you define "best". If best means "win the national championship," which seems fairly obvious, then yes, the SEC is the best conference in the nation, as they have won 7 MNCs in a row.

So they've produced the best team seven years in a row, but that doesn't necessarily make it the best conference. The best conference is the conference that continually outperforms other conferences in head to head match ups (ie more wins vs conferences). Conference A's #5 team should be able to consistently beat Conference B's #5 team. Here's a look at conference vs conference records:

||||||||| SEC ||| ACC ||| BXII ||| B1G ||| PAC ||| Winning Records

SEC ||| - ||| 280-135 ||| 75-63 ||| 77-53 ||| 67-39 ||| 4

ACC ||| 135-280 ||| - ||| 39-49 ||| 50-65 ||| 20-30 ||| 0

BXII ||| 63-75 ||| 49-39 ||| - ||| 170-229 ||| 135-121 ||| 2

B1G ||| 53-77 ||| 65-50 ||| 229-170 ||| - ||| 234-242 ||| 2

PAC ||| 39-67 ||| 30-20 ||| 121-135 ||| 242-234 ||| - ||| 2

So even by that definition, the SEC is the best conference. The B1G, PAC 12, and Big XII are all interchangeable, and the ACC is the bottom of this list.

But this is data from a huge time frame--perhaps a better definition of the best conference would be a look at these records over the past 7 years, the same amount of time the SEC title game dominance started.

I think you made a good point. I think the only way to again fairly say they are THE BEST is you would have to look at which teams were winning and which teams were losing those games. Point being that if Bama, LSU, and Georgia were winning most of these head to heads and the rest of the conference were losing the majority, I think it would still prove the point that the SEC isn't necessarily THE BEST but that they have 3 Great programs and a bunch of middle programs. I don't expect anyone to go through the process of doing that but it was just an observation

ESPN created the SEC super conference talk. I remember all the hype when I was back in college and never understood the fuss. That's why I will always hate ESPN. They took their power and manipulated my favorite sport. I still don't fear the SEC and I think a lot of teams do and that's the problem. Perception is important in college ball. Remember all the teams that used to fear Nebraska. It took time for that fear to diminish. As long as ESPN keeps feeding the propaganda, the SEC will always have an unfair advantage.

Northwestern beat TWO SEC teams last year.

This conversation is over.

+1

Kentucky lost to Louisville & Western Kentucky.

Arkansas lost to ULM & Rutgers

Ol Miss lost to Texas

Auburn lost to Clemson

LSU lost to Clemson

Miss St lost to Northwestern

Mizzou lost to Syracuse

Florida lost to Louisville

This just shows me that their conference is far from elite over the other conferences. Just because they happen to always have two of the most dominant teams nationally doesn't mean that the rest of the conference is as hard to deal with. Texas aTm showed that. One year removed from the Big XII they stepped right in and competed for the division.

:box

• 7 months later...

Regardless of my feelings towards Alabama or the rest of the SEC, I have to say I watched the Sugar Bowl from start to finish last night and was very entertained. It was one of the best matchups I had seen in a while.

Very good game

Sugar Bowl was entertaining for the result that was happening.

I think the Rose Bowl was the best matchup to watch though. Then again, I love smashmouth football

They definitely have the elite. They are stacked at the top. However, their bottom sucks. The problem is that the media props up the conference as a whole, so any win in the SEC is viewed as huge (Kentucky, Ole Miss, etc.) It is a self fulfilling prophecy.

If they are so stacked at the top, why do they have so many problems in the sugar bowl?

They definitely have the elite. They are stacked at the top. However, their bottom sucks. The problem is that the media props up the conference as a whole, so any win in the SEC is viewed as huge (Kentucky, Ole Miss, etc.) It is a self fulfilling prophecy.

If they are so stacked at the top, why do they have so many problems in the sugar bowl?

You are NOT supposed to look behind the curtain!!