UCLA Game worries

Owa done for the season.

That line gets keeping thinner and younger.

Our offense - turnovers + Memorial Stadium X UCLA defense = 40-45 points.

Hard to believe he's already a senior. For all the hype he received and all the hoopla surrounding his recruiting, he sure hasn't done much.

Well, he did play under Slick Rick for a while...

Owa's being out for the season should increase the likelihood that Eddie Vanderdoes will see more action earlier. How much more action and how much earlier is difficult to tell. I hope he plays in the Nebraska game because that would be a good gauge of his talent.

Vanderdoes should play a lot during 2013. I do not think that the UCLA coaching staff is thinking of reshirting him due to injuries to the DL. This is just my guess.

Why do you think EV will play? Isn't Owa a DE while Vanderdoes is a DT.

Owa's being out for the season should increase the likelihood that Eddie Vanderdoes will see more action earlier. How much more action and how much earlier is difficult to tell. I hope he plays in the Nebraska game because that would be a good gauge of his talent.

Vanderdoes should play a lot during 2013. I do not think that the UCLA coaching staff is thinking of reshirting him due to injuries to the DL. This is just my guess.

We run a 3-4 alignment so EV is a DE in base and a DT in the nickel set, which is what Owa played. I'd actually say our D-line is quite deep, just unproven. We only have 2-3 d-linemen on the field at a time so we don't need big numbers to be deep.

BTW I will be making the trip out to Lincoln so I'm really excited for September 14th

We run a 3-4 alignment so EV is a DE in base and a DT in the nickel set, which is what Owa played. I'd actually say our D-line is quite deep, just unproven. We only have 2-3 d-linemen on the field at a time so we don't need big numbers to be deep.

BTW I will be making the trip out to Lincoln so I'm really excited for September 14th

Good thing the atmosphere of gameday is so incredibly special at Memorial Stadium, or else I'd tell you to be prepared to leave at half time...

Blow out...

Two factors or Nonfactors? UCLA opens on August 31, then has a bye week. So UCLA is playing us as their second game while we play Wyoming and Southern Miss the previous weekends. No bye week but an extra game of experience. Also, the game is at 11 am - or 9 am California time. It will be interesting to see how Mora practices for us - a morning practice or two to get his guys used to playing pretty early (I don't normally place much weight on the time a game is played, but it's only the second game and it's very early by their body clocks.) What do you all think?

I think the bye week actually puts them at a disadvantage - they only get one week of game speed experience against some scrubs and then a week off. Bye weeks are beneficial later in the season because you need the rest from season-long fatigue and because other teams have put a lot more on film - we'll hide our hand enough in our cakewalks against So. Miss and Wyoming that it won't be of much benefit to them.

Just my opinion.

All you guys expecting to win this game easily, I hope you're right. We surrendered over 600 yards in offense to this team last year and we're replacing seven starters on defense. I get the "addition by subtraction" idea about our defense but the guys we're counting on to stop this team are completely unproven commodities.

I could easily see us lose this game by two scores. If the offense isn't clicking like a fine-tuned machine we could get blown out.

Loving the confidence, but I'm not seeing where it's coming from.

• Fire 1

All you guys expecting to win this game easily, I hope you're right. We surrendered over 600 yards in offense to this team last year and we're replacing seven starters on defense. I get the "addition by subtraction" idea about our defense but the guys we're counting on to stop this team are completely unproven commodities.

I could easily see us lose this game by two scores. If the offense isn't clicking like a fine-tuned machine we could get blown out.

I have a feeling we'll win confidently, but I'm not sure. Anyways, these are the key things I'm seeing:

1. Jonathan Franklin was by far the majority of their offense and is gone with unknown and unproven talent coming in.

2. As many yards as we surrendered, our defense shut them down in the second half.

3. We have a year's worth of film on them this time around - were left woefully unprepared with their shifts and motions and misdirection into space so early last season.

4. Our offense and defense will both take marginal steps up at least (imo) - my uneducated perception of theirs is that they could both take steps back.

5. Memorial Stadium.

I have gotten a ton more confident the past week than I was before camp.

1) UCLA is really as unproven on defense as we are

2) Hundley gained a ton of yards last year on broken plays and when he scrambled out of the pocket. This year you are going to see our LBs that are better in these instances and better at what I call "being football players" and ignoring the scheme at times and making the plays.

3) UCLA is going to have to score 45-50 points to beat us. I don't give a damn about the yards they gain between the 30s, its whether or not we can keep them out of the end zone.

• Fire 1