Defensive Play Calling vs Southern Miss

Definitely a much better performance by the Blackshirts, so far. At halftime, SoMiss has 168yd (only 8 rushing), no TDs, and gave up two Pick-6. It seems like there has been better tackling and stopping the run at the middle of the field. My question is how does the play calling look compared to last week? Is it better play calling, or are we seeing better performance (reads and tackling) from the players?

I am not sure what adjustments were made on the "defensive play calling", but the defense looked more composed and relaxed compared to last week. There were a lot of young guys playing in their first college game last week. We will probably see a lot of growth by the defense by the time this year is over. There will be growing pains (cue Mike Seaver) along the way.

Well the youth and inexperience has settled in, but lets not forget So Miss has a nation leading losing streak. We looked better, but still far too many holes and open receivers. Not a huge fan of LB's one on one with RBs and WRs as much as we do. UCLA will test us in every way and I hope we are ready for it.

I can tell you right now that I"m bettin the schemes and concepts on D were not set up for Wyoming and So Miss. This staff is preparing for UCLA all the way. Biggest tone-setting game this program has had in a while. Coaches have been preparing for UCLA on a dame-near exclusive basis. We found out the hard way that's not very smart against a very underrated Wyoming qb. Theyre designing stuff for UCLA and applying it to game plans for So Miss and Wyoming in order to see where the youngins are and what their capabilities are at full game go. At least this is my opinion. These first two offenses have some similarities to UCLA but theyre different in the UCLA is a little more balanced and will probably utilize the qb run game a bit more. UCLA will be much closer to what we see in conference play. These first two games were more of a sling it around like we saw week after week in the big 12. I anxious, cuz we get to see how we stand up to something we're built for.

Same play calling, same system, guys actually making plays.

Blitzing the right end from the middle linebacker spot has been a cornerstone of Pelini's defense over the last 5 years. :hmmph

I won't be surprised if Randy Gregory literally throws a kitchen sink at Brett Hundley next week. But seriously, we need to stop playing QBs named Brett.

• Fire 1