Deadspin just dropped a bomb - "fu fans"

Saunders

Okay, let's think about a couple of things about this audio tape for a minute before we all go and get our panties in a bunch because Bo Pelini isn't allowed to have feelings:

1) This tape was recorded in 2011. You know, that year when Taylor Martinez was being hounded by the media? You know the year when Dirkity Derp Chatelain was taking his asshattery to a new level? The year when Taylor was called out in Spanish class and was booed off the field at halftime? That year? I'm sorry, but could any of you not have any bad feelings regarding Husker fans then. Even I was saying f*** these fans at that game.

2) I think since 2011, Bo has gotten more comfortable with the media, with the fans, with everybody in general--and the fan support has been there to back him up. So why are we making the assumption that Bo feels the same way about the fans now as he did in 2011.

3) The person who decided to release this just now is an ass. If you didn't like Bo in 2011 you should've just released it then. Whoever did this is running off an agenda and for all I care they can quit being a fan of this team--there'll be plenty of others who will donate money to the school if it is a booster.

That's all well and good, but does any of it really matter?

This will hang over the program for at least as long as Bo's here, whether we like it or not. The best thing the university can do is make that time as short as possible.

There really are no other options for NU at this point than to part ways with Bo and clean their hands of this at an appropriate point in time... season's end. Earlier than that may be unreasonable (or may not... depending on variables we know little about)

To not part ways with Bo at this point given this tape would then implicate NU beyond what is the case now. Pelini cannot be connected to NU in any way and have NU not look bad. He is now anathema ... by his own conduct (his performance, or lack thereof notwithstanding)

That's so extremely overblown it's not even funny.

Oklahoma State has players getting money and sex for playing

Miami has the same thing

USC

Ohio State

Penn State

and we're mad because Bo said f**k the fans when the irritability was the highest.

This....

Is.....

Ridiculous....

Mad is not the issue.

Public relations is the issue. The schools you mentioned all had to have public response to the conduct issues at hand --- and most of those responses were straight forward because those implicated were, in most cases, no longer at the school. For each program there was a public relations response and NU will as well have to have one. Now... a difference is that Bo is still currently employed. The PR issue is more sensitive and more complicated. Is the crime as egregious as some you mentioned at the other schools? No. But it is still an image issue and NU does not want (I would think) an image issue by connection to Bo. Breaking that connection gains NU more than retaining him.

I just wonder if the sellout streak is in jeopardy now? It's the last thing we have that links us to the Nebraska of old........................if he pissed enough people off, and it looks like he did, the fans could send a SERIOUS message by not showing up, but it's also something that's very dear to us all.

This was actually the first thought that crossed my mind when I heard the tape. I hope not.

Don't like the comments, BUT I love the intensity. Something missing since Bo was neutered after A&M. Would love to have the intensity, getting in the faces of his OC and he runs that abomination of an O against UCLA, in the face of Randle as he pattycakes with the OL. In the face of his QB when he fumbles or throws and INT. We need that guy back. Not this CEO of a college game. Football at this level is an emotional game.

2 years ago. Oh well.

I'm not even mad, this just really sucks because I genuinely liked Bo as our coach. I thought he could take us back to the promise land, it seemed like the last couple of recruiting classes were finally bringing in some much needed talent. I liked his demeanor all Spring/Summer. Feels bad, man.

Anybody else more pissed off about him saying he was on his way out the door than about him cussing out the fans?

Still think this damage can be managed by Bo. But he's got to apologize, and he's got to do it well, and then he's got to WIN.

That's true. Starting to really seem like Bo wanted the OSU job from the start. Or, apparently, an SEC job. I always kind of figured this, but now it's clear that Bo has few if any emotional ties to Nebraska, the University or the state. His players, sure, but players are gone in 4-5 years. If you don't have any liking towards the fan base or the city, what's the incentive to hang around long term? The weather?

We named the field after someone who wasn't far from bolting.

Zac Taylor made a public declaration of his support for Bill Callahan as well.

Means nothing.

Callahan was a good guy too and I really don't think he was that bad of a coach. Of course he lost the team, went 5-7 and what more can you say at that point with the results. He deserved what he got, if not the enduring negativity Husker fans still feel about him. And I think Zac's endorsement of Callahan does mean a lot. A lot of people with blind ill will towards BC.

Bo, on the other hand, he's not lost his team in any way, I doubt he will, and if this season implodes I'm all for the comparison. But it probably won't.

I agree about Callahan being a good guy, and think Bo is too. I wasn't meaning that it means nothing period, just that it doesn't pertain to the issue at hand.

He shouldn't have went off like that, obviously. All coaches have, however, just not with the mic on. Bo is guilty of poor judgement in this instance. Honestly, the fans at that game that he's referring to deserved this. They are not the same fans that have been selling out the stadium since the 60s. The biggest joke in all this is the coward who hung onto this audio for two years and drop it now.

Will Compton RT

@KornhuskerJ: So #Huskers fans can bitch about Pelini but then get butt-hurt when he bitches about them. It was 2 yrs ago. Who gives a sh#t!

Good point. Guys on this board call out players, coaches etc, but we get angry when a player makes a comment about the fans or the coach tells us to go f ourselves. Again, unleash this Bo again.

Direct correlation of Bo getting more savvy and team sucking,

• Fire 1

I agree about Callahan being a good guy, and think Bo is too. I wasn't meaning that it means nothing period, just that it doesn't pertain to the issue at hand.

Hm, what is the issue at hand?

I would agree that this is a legitimate public relations nightmare, brought upon by Bo himself really, for the entire program.

It does not affect how good or deserving of a NU football head coach he is, in my eyes. But it is a fire that he will now need to fan out.

For our part, as reasonable fans, I think we can distinguish the two and refuse to join the frenzy of outrage over the comments, while still acknowledging how stupid it was for him to make them and how he will have to apologize really thoroughly to the folks who are up in arms.