\\ Illinois Game Discussion Thread //

So no one's happy right now?

This was a strong win. Illinois is not a running team, so the defense had to get pressure to Scheelhause to keep him off balance (CHECK!) and secondary had to step it up and communicate better (Check). Offensive looked good until the last quarter and of course poor ball security by the RBs. Two missed extra points (windy in Memorial Stadium though). Still, good win from start to finish.

Defensive confusion, several illegal subsitutions, two missed extra points, Cross' fumble, the blown TD on 4th down.

Those are the kinds of things that keep a good team from being a great team.... such is the source of our frustration as fans, I think. We can all see what the Huskers could be, and should be, but they can't stop with the mental mistakes.

The Huskers did play well much of the time.... well enough that they could have won this game by 40 instead of 20.

Why are people blaming Beck for the safety? That makes no sense. Cross is the one who ran back into his own end zone. That has nothing to do with playcalling, it's just a boneheaded mistake.

I think some believe an outside run is more suited to Ameer than IC

Imani can't just run between the tackles every time he's on the field. THAT would be poor playcalling, because it would be predictable. Cross has to have the presence of mind to get forward and stay out of the endzone. That's basic common sense stuff for the RB position.

Not suggesting that at all. Field postition/down and distance/player strengths and weaknesses/tendencies/ ALL factor in..............

I didn't get to see much because of streaming issues, but here are my thoughts.

• 17 points against is a big improvement
  • NU is way too sloppy - 12 men on the field repeatedly, fumbles, missed extra points
  • Illinois ran the ball very effectively in the 1st half, then went away from it after getting behind. I fear NU will be gashed later this year on the ground.