Will Scott Frost Be Nebraska’s Kliff Kingsbury?

Please, If we have to get a new coach can we get one who has been one before.

I don't get this. Why are we so willing to take the chance on a coordinator who has zero head coaching experience?

Because there is zero evidence that a hire with head coaching experience is better than a hire without.

If you look at the current BCS Top 25, about exactly half of those coaches are first time head coaches.

Oregon

Stanford

Baylor

Clemson

Oklahoma

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

Just a few examples. For every coordinator turned head coach that failed you point out, I can point out another head coaching hire that was a head coach before and failed. Hell, this should be easy as pie to understand for Nebraska fans. Tom Osborne was never a head coach, but Bill Callahan was.

(p.s. please don't strawman me responding that I'm trying to prove a point by cherrypicking certain instances. I'm not. I'm only countering false points.)

• Fire 1

My only apprehension with hiring Frost is that if he doesn't do well, the AD will have to fire a native son and that can't ever be good for a program.

Based on how important the football program is, if Eichorst fires Bo, hires Frost, and it turns out to be a failure, there is probably a good chance that an interim AD will end up being the one firing the native son instead. There's a lot riding on what Eichorst decides to do.

• Fire 1

My only apprehension with hiring Frost is that if he doesn't do well, the AD will have to fire a native son and that can't ever be good for a program.

Based on how important the football program is, if Eichorst fires Bo, hires Frost, and it turns out to be a failure, there is probably a good chance that an interim AD will end up being the one firing the native son instead. There's a lot riding on what Eichorst decides to do.

Probably right. I was talking about any AD. Not Eichorst in particular. Can't be good for a program if that happened.

I don't get this. Why are we so willing to take the chance on a coordinator who has zero head coaching experience?

For me, it's all about the staff that he assembles, and the excitement he brings to the program. Year 1 is vital. Urban comes into OSU and recruits are lining up at the door. Kingsbury to Tech and they're bringing in tens of millions more in merchandise/ticket sales. You can go on an on, but hiring some old fart mid-major coach that's had some success is not going to be as impactful as bringing in a Kingsbury type of guy. Young, relates to the kids, recruits well, and emphasizes said recruiting, etc. The product on the field however, IMO, is more determined by the coordinators and assistants than the HC. Collectively, 9-10 coaches should have more influence on the quality of the team than 1 guy...and we're missing that right now. Which is why I'd be OK with Frost...only if the guys around him are qualified and experienced. Right now Bo, along with his 2 coordinators, and 4 or 5 of his assistants are all borderline underqualified for their positions. You can afford to have a couple, but not the majority of your staff.

• Fire 1

Because there is zero evidence that a hire with head coaching experience is better than a hire without.

If you look at the current BCS Top 25, about exactly half of those coaches are first time head coaches.

Oregon

Stanford

Baylor

Clemson

Oklahoma

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

Just a few examples. For every coordinator turned head coach that failed you point out, I can point out another head coaching hire that was a head coach before and failed. Hell, this should be easy as pie to understand for Nebraska fans. Tom Osborne was never a head coach, but Bill Callahan was.

(p.s. please don't strawman me responding that I'm trying to prove a point by cherrypicking certain instances. I'm not. I'm only countering false points.)

I wouldnt accuse you of cherrypicking. I think you jusr like disagreeing with me.

Frost would be cool because he QB'd here. If not for that he wouldnt be on anyones radar yet.

• Fire 1

Wrong on Texas A&M.

Scott is not qualified to be a head coach. Not enough time as a coordinator to even be considered. I like the guy and could see him coming here as an OC, but not as head coach.

Too much learning on the recruiting side and management side for a young coach.

• Fire 1

For me, it's all about the staff that he assembles, and the excitement he brings to the program. Year 1 is vital. Urban comes into OSU and recruits are lining up at the door. Kingsbury to Tech and they're bringing in tens of millions more in merchandise/ticket sales. You can go on an on, but hiring some old fart mid-major coach that's had some success is not going to be as impactful as bringing in a Kingsbury type of guy. Young, relates to the kids, recruits well, and emphasizes said recruiting, etc. The product on the field however, IMO, is more determined by the coordinators and assistants than the HC. Collectively, 9-10 coaches should have more influence on the outcome of the team than 1 guy...and we're missing that right now. Which, is why I'd be OK with Frost...only if the guys around him are qualified and experienced. Right now Bo, along with his 2 coordinators, and 4 or 5 of his assistants are all borderline underqualified for their positions. You can afford to have a couple, but not the majority of your staff.

Well, Frost has been fairly well traveled over the past 20 years, from Stanford to NU to the NFL and his various stops as he has risen the coaching ranks...I would bet he has some pretty good coaching connections all over the country. I'm not saying Frost is the solution at NU, but he probably has the capability to put together a pretty good staff if he had the opportunity to.

To those who say experience is the issue with Bo, Frost doesnt solve that.

To those who say recruiting is the issue with Bo, Frost doesnt solve that.

To those who say we need better defensive output, Frost doesnt solve that.

Frost would help us score a ton of points and would really be a slam dunk for nostalgia. But hes unproven even as an OC. Lets see how the Ducks finish out before we try and snake him away.

Wrong on Texas A&M.

Scott is not qualified to be a head coach. Not enough time as a coordinator to even be considered. I like the guy and could see him coming here as an OC, but not as head coach.

Too much learning on the recruiting side and management side for a young coach.

Problem is a majority of husker nation is still stuck in the good ole days and he may get his shot at his "dream job" or what most perceive to be his "dream job." I'm not saying I'm against the guy, I'd rather have an experienced head coach as well, but he may get his shot because husker nation is becoming desperate at this point to get back to relevance and since Frost has a husker championship ring in his possession he is a savior in waiting. I know you're a booster, but so are several other folks who think like I just stated.

Oregon

Stanford

Baylor

Clemson

Oklahoma

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

Uhh... Both Kevin Sumlin and Art Briles coached at Houston before going to the Big XII.

• Fire 1

nebraska should be able to get a "big name". Don't know why anyone would settle for less than a proven HC.

:facepalm:

Oregon

Stanford

Baylor

Clemson

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Florida State

Texas Tech

Uhh... Both Kevin Sumlin and Art Briles coached at Houston before going to the Big XII.

My mistake. Replace them with Gundy and Fisher in that case. Or just look at all of the successful head coaching hires of the last 15 years and see how many were and weren't first time head coaches.