Will Scott Frost Be Nebraska’s Kliff Kingsbury?

So we want to fire a guy in his first head coaching gig and gamble on a guy in his First season as an Offensice Coordinator ?

So How Many seasons do we give Frost to "Learn the ropes" before we get impatient and call for his head?

Here we go again.......

Trend average is around 5 years currently

So we want to fire a guy in his first head coaching gig and gamble on a guy in his First season as an Offensice Coordinator ?

So How Many seasons do we give Frost to "Learn the ropes" before we get impatient and call for his head?

Here we go again.......

Not really. I think there is a possible grasp of parting ways with a coach after six years. Anyway, nothing is happening tonight. We got Northwestern this weekend. Cheer up :cheers

I would rather have someone with experience, but I can see some merit to Frost too. Implementing the Oregon offense would bring some excitement to the program, and I've actually heard that he's very good at recruiting. Plus, he's young and I think that would help with the connection to the players. He can also play the "when I was in the NFL" card, which doesn't hurt.

Bottom line: if he's able to bring in a great group of coaches, I'd be willing to give it a shot.

I think its a BIT much to ask a guy to come back to his alma mater and be the head guy. Not only be the head guy but be better than the one you replaced as a recruiter, staffer, coacher and do it after the halfway point of your debut coordinating season.

But hey, if he came in and won games and recruited well, Id support him. If he came in and posted the exact same success in three years that Bo did, Id support him. If he came in and didnt quite live uo to the hype, Id support him.

Please, If we have to get a new coach can we get one who has been one before.

I don't get this. Why are we so willing to take the chance on a coordinator who has zero head coaching experience?

Because there is zero evidence that a hire with head coaching experience is better than a hire without.

If you look at the current BCS Top 25, about exactly half of those coaches are first time head coaches.

Oregon

Stanford

Baylor

Clemson

Oklahoma

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

Just a few examples. For every coordinator turned head coach that failed you point out, I can point out another head coaching hire that was a head coach before and failed. Hell, this should be easy as pie to understand for Nebraska fans. Tom Osborne was never a head coach, but Bill Callahan was.

(p.s. please don't strawman me responding that I'm trying to prove a point by cherrypicking certain instances. I'm not. I'm only countering false points.)

I get what you are saying but Sumlin, and Bryles were not first time HC when they took over at A&M and Baylor. Though it wasn't like they had a great amount of experience.

You could also throw Bill Snyder and Butch Davis in that mix.

Of coarse we can also look at it in different ways. Lets look at say Lou Holtz, Skippy Neuheisal, Dan Hawkings, Rich Rod, Larry Smith, Dennis Franchione, Dennis Erickson, Jackie Sherril and Butch Davis to name a few. They all were at least fairly successful HC at some point and were fired from jobs.

It works both ways. HC experience is no guarantee of success. It has to be the right fit. IMO Scott Frost would most likely be a good fit at NU. It doesn't meant that someone else couldn't be a good fit also.

I don't get this. Why are we so willing to take the chance on a coordinator who has zero head coaching experience?

For me, it's all about the staff that he assembles, and the excitement he brings to the program. Year 1 is vital. Urban comes into OSU and recruits are lining up at the door. Kingsbury to Tech and they're bringing in tens of millions more in merchandise/ticket sales. You can go on an on, but hiring some old fart mid-major coach that's had some success is not going to be as impactful as bringing in a Kingsbury type of guy. Young, relates to the kids, recruits well, and emphasizes said recruiting, etc. The product on the field however, IMO, is more determined by the coordinators and assistants than the HC. Collectively, 9-10 coaches should have more influence on the quality of the team than 1 guy...and we're missing that right now. Which is why I'd be OK with Frost...only if the guys around him are qualified and experienced. Right now Bo, along with his 2 coordinators, and 4 or 5 of his assistants are all borderline underqualified for their positions. You can afford to have a couple, but not the majority of your staff.

Sums up my thoughts on it.

Scott Frost has roots in Tom Osborne's hey day- the Husker culture, traditions and championships, etc. He has coaching experience in the pros and college. Both of his parents were Huskers and both coached high school football. He has seen football from many angles and observed a few great coaches work at it.

True, he has not been a head coach but all great head coaches had a first year as a head coach.. He has the background, talent and knowledge. He has shown leadership on the field. Just need to know if he provide the leadership required on the sideline and in the field house. His other hurdle would be getting great assistants.

If you only want a proven head coach, could we afford to pay the money required to get Urban Meyer to leave Ohio State. I also think there some great head coaches, successful at one job, moved on to another coaching job or league and did not so well. Its a mix of traits, experience, and assistants to make it work.

Something needs to change in Lincoln- I don't think Bo needs to be fired. However, if he fired, Scott Frost would be a good choice in my opinion.

Not this again :facepalm:

Can we please stop talking about Scott Frost being the guy? Some of us actually want to treat the issue of Bo's replacement seriously.

I'm not against considering coordinators or those without prior HC experience but I think there has been plenty of evidence already presented in a plethora of threads (over 500 on HB alone if I'm not mistaken) as to why it shouldn't be Frost.

. He knows the Husker way.

Some with firsthand knowledge of the situation when he was offered the Co-OC job here would argue with you here.

That's all that you focused on? I said other things too. LOL :dumdum

Bo's resume at the time he was hired was clearly better than Frost's. Bo has coached with, and consulted with a very impressive list of coaches as well. If you are looking for someone to get us to "the next level" it isn't Frost. The only reason people even think he's a decent candidate is because he played two years here. Do I think he's going to be a good head coach some day? Yes I do. If we chose to make a change this year should he be on our short list? Under no circumstances unless nobody else wants the job. Which I could actually see.

Not this again :facepalm:

Can we please stop talking about Scott Frost being the guy? Some of us actually want to treat the issue of Bo's replacement seriously.

I'm not against considering coordinators or those without prior HC experience but I think there has been plenty of evidence already presented in a plethora of threads (over 500 on HB alone if I'm not mistaken) as to why it shouldn't be Frost.

Inexperience as head coach is the only reason I've seen. Which can be be a good reason, but can also be a non-issue as long as he brings with him a solid plan and solid coaching staff.