Will Scott Frost Be Nebraska’s Kliff Kingsbury?

Uhh... Both Kevin Sumlin and Art Briles coached at Houston before going to the Big XII.

Christ, Houston is really churnin' those guys out, their former coaches are doing a hell of a lot better than Boise's former coaches. Screw Chris Peterson, let's take whoever is at Houston!

I really like the idea of Scott Frost. From his past here as a Husker, being coached and mentored by TO. Being somewhat of a disciple of Chip Kelly and being the OC at a amazing program at Oregon and seeming to have a really good relationship and respect amongst the players there. If there's anyone who I'd feel comfortable with it would be him.

More evidence against the "We need a big time name head coach hire" myth:

Rich Rodriguez had great success at West Virginia as a first time BCS coach (he was coach at a few rinky dink schools I've never heard of for two years or something). But then, as a proven head coach hire, has been mediocre at Michigan and Arizona.

Dan Hawkins had great success building Boise up when he was promoted from assistant. Yet, with the head coaching experience, drove Colorado into the dumpster.

Chris Petersen took over for Hawkins as a first time head coach and has done a phenomenal job and is the first name out of most Husker fans' mouths.

Kyle Whittingham succeeded Urban Meyer of all people at Utah, as a first time head coach, and has done a tremendous job there as well.

• Fire 1

I think we need a stead hand if we change. Someone that knows the ropes. Of course there are exceptions, but this is what killed Bo. Too much to learn, a hard area to recruit. Now with the loss of National prominence even harder. I want a proven college head coach. No NFL guys. I really like the idea of Tressel or Richt.

Not to high on Briles, but it does seem to be what the kids want to play.

Of the list you mentioned Landlord, it seemed most had been on the staff before and moved up, or had been successful coordinators under the opposite type head coach. IE defensive coordinator, Offensive head coach.

Scott just does not have the experience at either slot. Sure he could be great, and if he would come with input from the AD on hiring assistants, I could be swayed to that. I just do not want Nebraska to be another on the job training facility.

To those who say experience is the issue with Bo, Frost doesnt solve that.

To those who say recruiting is the issue with Bo, Frost doesnt solve that.

To those who say we need better defensive output, Frost doesnt solve that.

Frost would help us score a ton of points and would really be a slam dunk for nostalgia. But hes unproven even as an OC. Lets see how the Ducks finish out before we try and snake him away.

If he brings in a more experienced staff, then he solves it.

If he brings more excitement and a better recruiting staff, then he solves it.

If he brings in a defensive guru (which you know we can afford), then he solves it.

Frost doesn't solve all of our issues, no one is saying that. Nor would Nick Saban. it's going to be the staff Saban assembles around him, and how he runs the program. I've heard Oregon practices unlike any other team in college football. Bringing that change in itself might be worth a win or two, because it's obvious we have practice issues or TM wouldn't have been out there.

Please, If we have to get a new coach can we get one who has been one before.

I don't get this. Why are we so willing to take the chance on a coordinator who has zero head coaching experience?

Because there is zero evidence that a hire with head coaching experience is better than a hire without.

If you look at the current BCS Top 25, about exactly half of those coaches are first time head coaches.

Oregon

Stanford

Baylor

Clemson

Oklahoma

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

Just a few examples. For every coordinator turned head coach that failed you point out, I can point out another head coaching hire that was a head coach before and failed. Hell, this should be easy as pie to understand for Nebraska fans. Tom Osborne was never a head coach, but Bill Callahan was.

(p.s. please don't strawman me responding that I'm trying to prove a point by cherrypicking certain instances. I'm not. I'm only countering false points.)

Uhh... Both Kevin Sumlin and Art Briles coached at Houston before going to the Big XII.

So out of the 7 coaches named above, 5 are in their first head coaching job. Not bad.

He's from the great state. He knows the Husker way and expectations. He knows adversity first hand as a player. He responded and won a championship. He knows exactly how much Husker football means to Husker Nation. He's been coaching for some time. He's been around Bill Walsh, Snyder, Osborne, Chip Kelly. I think he would recruit well, bring in good coordinators, communicate well with fans and media, and get the adrenaline and excitement back.

I've seen a lot of media people say that Frost is "frosty" with the media. Do we really want that again?

He's in a position to be. I don't know of too many coordinators that are chummy with the media. It's not his responsibility, so he doesn't do it. Until we see him in the position of being the face of the program, I'm not sure we'll know how he'll react. Plus, I'd say when it comes to Nebraskans...being political with the local media is probably on down the list of requirements. Could he really be worse than what we endured w/ Bo? Doubt it.