Putting the 9 wins debate to bed

Ironically, look who showed up at #9.

That's a couple of weeks old. Muschamp is not on the hot seat. Strong suspicion Pelini isn't either.

It has our updated record on there.

It shows the date right at the top to boot. Yes, things are getting toasty.

Why? Because a website called coacheshotseat.com says so, so it must be true?

I am not a Pelini must go no matter what kinda guy. But to not realize that he is on the hot seat is burying your head in the sand. As for the website, yeah #9 is about right.

Paul Rhodes is 7. Good. Hopefully Iowa St will pull the plug on him so we can nab him. I like the way his guys play for him. :hmmph

Iowa State would be downright stupid to fire Rhodes, and I doubt he's anywhere near the hot seat.

Everyone said that same thing about Dan McCarney too after he took them to immagined heights as a program and had one bad year and boom gone. Some thing with Kansas with Glen Mason AND Mark Mangino. I get a kick out of these small time programs that get a coach that takes them to new heights, gains some sense of entitlement, and then fires him after one bad year. it's the equivilant of if Tim Miles takes us to the NIT this year, NCAA tourney year after that. Sweet sixteen year after that. Then drops of with a 15-15 record in a rebuilding year, and we fire him for it. The coaching profession and the revolving door profession it has become in all sports at any level is comical to me.

Since taking over in 2008, Bo has been the HC for 78 games with an overall record of 55-23. 18 of those games were against non BCS teams, and 10 of the wins have been against BCS teams with 4 or fewer wins.

Looking into the wins and losses:

Overall - 55-23 - 70.51% winning % - 18 Wins against non BCS teams

BCS - 37-23 - 61.67% winning %

Teams with 5+ more wins - 27-23 - 54% winning % - 1 loss to 5-7 UT

Teams with 6+ more wins - 22-22 - 50% winning% - 1 loss to 6-7 NW

Teams with 7+ more wins - 19-21 - 47.5% winning % - This is all teams that finished with a winning record, Bo is under .500 in these games

Teams with 8+ more wins - 11-19 - 36.67% winning % - This includes Minnesota and UCLA from this season

Teams with 9+ more wins - 5-16 - 23.81% winning % - This includes MSU from this season

So Bo does win his 9/10 games a season, and wins 70.51% of his games, but he feasts on bad to horrible teams. He's 2 games under .500 against BCS teams that finished with a winning record. His teams don't get it done against good competition.

Against teams that finish with 8 or more wins, teams that finished 8-4/8-5/8-6, Bo's teams win less than 37% of the games. That's pretty sad.

• Fire 1

Paul Rhodes is 7. Good. Hopefully Iowa St will pull the plug on him so we can nab him. I like the way his guys play for him. :hmmph

Iowa State would be downright stupid to fire Rhodes, and I doubt he's anywhere near the hot seat.

Everyone said that same thing about Dan McCarney too after he took them to immagined heights as a program and had one bad year and boom gone. Some thing with Kansas with Glen Mason AND Mark Mangino. I get a kick out of these small time programs that get a coach that takes them to new heights, gains some sense of entitlement, and then fires him after one bad year. it's the equivilant of if Tim Miles takes us to the NIT this year, NCAA tourney year after that. Sweet sixteen year after that. Then drops of with a 15-15 record in a rebuilding year, and we fire him for it. The coaching profession and the revolving door profession it has become in all sports at any level is comical to me.

glen mason left ku for minnesota. he wasnt fired. and mangino was forced out for other reasons. but i still get your point.

This whole debate is stupid. Don't compare Osborne to Pelini in terms of 9 wins. How about rankings instead?

TO:

1972 - 1979 rankings - 4th, 7th, 9th, 9th, 9th, 12th, 8th, 9th

1980 - 1989 rankings - 7th, 11th, 3rd, 2nd, 4th,11th, 5th, 6th,10th,11th

1990 - 1997 rankings - 24th,15th, 14th, 3rd, 1st, 1st, 6th, 2nd

Bo:

2008 - 2012 rankings - unranked, 14th, 20th, 24th, 25th, likely unranked

So, TO finished outside of the top 15 one time in his entire career with 18 top 10 finishes and Bo's trend is going the wrong direction.

Hell, I'm even okay with being ranked 15-20. I'd just like the sloppy bullsh#t to stop.

^

This 1,000 times over!

+1!

The "9 wins a year" can only be part of the argument for or against Bo depending on where you stand. What beanman has listed here is first of all helpful research, but more importantly offers a better argument IF you want to compare what Bo Pelini has done at Nebraska to what Tom Osborne did during his career.

Yes, we have won at least 9 wins every year under Bo Pelini, and yes, we have gone to a bowl game ever year under his watch, and he should be commended for that.

However, when you compare our Top 25 rankings to Osborne's it's not even close. Under Pelini we are barely a bottom Top 25 team. At least under Osborne we were consistently in the Top 15...we were at least in the conversation year-after-year as being one of the best teams in the country. And we were rarely blown out during games. We were for the most part, almost always competitive in nearly every game we played under Osborne. You can't say that about Pelini's Nebraska teams to this point...you just can't.

Nebraska fans want to win at least 9-10 wins every year, we all know that. But more importantly we want to be competitive, we want to be a part of the national discussion for being one of the Top 15 teams, and we DO NOT want to be consistently embarrassed on the national stage.

My issue isn't the number of wins and losses but rather how bad we lose. We gave up 70 points in a conference championship game.....in FOOTBALL. Things like that are far more concerning than beating Wyoming by 3. I remember some people defending the win saying Wyoming was going to be a good team. Nope, they aren't, they're 4-6 with losses to teams like Texas State and oh, Boise beat them 48-7. I sincerely think we need a change in coaching across the board because we are not competitive with top teams and that's not a good direction to be heading.

• Fire 1

The issue in terms of a 9-3 season is the same as it was in '03. Who do you get as a replacement? Urban Meyer openly bashed the firing of Solich and I'm sure many other coaches did in private. We obviously have our selling-points but from the outside folks will see a job where the expectations are very high and the nearby talent is low. If we don't lose any more games this season I'm not ready to commit the next several years on Frost and I'm not sure anyone proven will want the job. Now if we can go through channels to be totally sure we can get a first-rate hire I could understand a change.

Considering our O is depleted I don't see Bo being canned for 9-3. With just a healthy TM we're probably 11-1. Could well see staffing changes though. Now if we lose another regular season game a firing wouldn't surprise me.

True, but the criticism of Solich's firing also had a lot to do with the fact that Solich's successes. Dude won a BCS game, played in a national title, won a conference championship, and generally finished top 15.

Dan McCarney is doing great things turning around North Texas right now, too...

And every other team in the nation has the same opportunities and has failed to do so.

Arlrighty. Let me ask you this, would you be willing to have a 7 win season once in a while if it meant a BCS win? A national title? Because I'd be willing to see some peaks and valleys rather than the flat road to nowhere that we've been riding.

What is "every once in a while?" The BCS bowl selection is a complete joke.

Nobody here is joking when speaking of the desire to win a conference championship, which makes it seriously simple to qualify for BCS bowls.

A five loss Wisconsin team was able to make a BCS bowl. Now that is really sad.

And yet still less sad than the fact that same 5-loss Wisconsin team put up 70 points on us, beat us by 39 points and averaged 10.8 yards per carry in the process.

I'm undecided on what needs to happen with Pelini, but the status quo isn't acceptable.

This whole debate is stupid. Don't compare Osborne to Pelini in terms of 9 wins. How about rankings instead?

TO:

1972 - 1979 rankings - 4th, 7th, 9th, 9th, 9th, 12th, 8th, 9th

1980 - 1989 rankings - 7th, 11th, 3rd, 2nd, 4th,11th, 5th, 6th,10th,11th

1990 - 1997 rankings - 24th,15th, 14th, 3rd, 1st, 1st, 6th, 2nd

Bo:

2008 - 2012 rankings - unranked, 14th, 20th, 24th, 25th, likely unranked

So, TO finished outside of the top 15 one time in his entire career with 18 top 10 finishes and Bo's trend is going the wrong direction.

Hell, I'm even okay with being ranked 15-20. I'd just like the sloppy bullsh#t to stop.

^

This 1,000 times over!

+1!

The "9 wins a year" can only be part of the argument for or against Bo depending on where you stand. What beanman has listed here is first of all helpful research, but more importantly offers a better argument IF you want to compare what Bo Pelini has done at Nebraska to what Tom Osborne did during his career.

Yes, we have won at least 9 wins every year under Bo Pelini, and yes, we have gone to a bowl game ever year under his watch, and he should be commended for that.

However, when you compare our Top 25 rankings to Osborne's it's not even close. Under Pelini we are barely a bottom Top 25 team. At least under Osborne we were consistently in the Top 15...we were at least in the conversation year-after-year as being one of the best teams in the country. And we were rarely blown out during games. We were for the most part, almost always competitive in nearly every game we played under Osborne. You can't say that about Pelini's Nebraska teams to this point...you just can't.

Nebraska fans want to win at least 9-10 wins every year, we all know that. But more importantly we want to be competitive, we want to be a part of the national discussion for being one of the Top 15 teams, and we DO NOT want to be consistently embarrassed on the national stage.

The 9+ win seasons are not to compare Pelini to Osborne. The Nebraska Cornhuskers that Tom Osborne took over had won back to back national championships. Pelini took over a train wreck and has consistently won 9+ games. That's why the 9 win seasons are good. I use the Osborne comparisons for what can happen when a coach is stuck with, as opposed to this carousel of the past 15 or so years.