Blake Bell Lincoln Bound?

Scott Frost, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, Nick Marshall, Troy Aikman, Jeff George, Jeff Hostetler, Nick Foles, Ryan Mallet, Zac Taylor to name a few successful transfer quarterbacks. Worth a shot in my opinion, not everyone turns out to be Sam Keller.

yea, but more turn out to be Sam Keller than any of the guys you mentioned...

I would consider Brett Smith of Wyoming but not Bell. I don't think Bell has the skill set we would need for our offense. Smith would be a nice addition though and with their coaching change he might consider a transfer.

Smith did a heck of a job against our D. Easily could have won that game if he had more time.

I think he could be used after watching the last TD drive. Never too many QB's and one with BCS experience couldn't hurt.

I heard we turned down Russel Wilson when he had us on his list. That did not work out to good for us.

I remember the Russel Wilson transfer thread...it played out exactly like this one. No idea what it is with this board, but they don't like the transfers. I think we're gonna be super thin at QB, so added depth is great. I'm even predicting Turner gets some time under center next year. I think it might end up rough.

speaking of Turner, will he get a medical redshirt?

I don't see what the fuss is about--we get, at a minimum, a backup that has seen quality playing time at another prolific BCS school and against decent opponents.

What would it hurt to give the kid a chance for a year to see if he can help us out? If not, then he works on his Masters at DoNU, and we move on.

Not a lot of downside, and a whole lot of potential for the upside--I really don't see why people are s*****g all over this kid? :dunno

My biggest concern in bringing in a "one time guy" is two-fold.

What it does to your current QB's and how it makes them feel. Tommy struggled, but at times had some bright moments and bringing in a one year guy is going to mentally effect him. You would hope that he would just get motivated and want to win the starting job, but if he doesnt, than I am concerned about how he feels about how the coaches will trust him.

2nd- The system is a bit complex, and you are asking a kid to come in and learn the whole playbook. I think it limits what we can call and also have to rebuild chemistry with the WR's.

I like what Brett Smith can do, but is it worth it? Are we a QB like him away from a Nat champ? Is he really that much better than TA?

My biggest concern in bringing in a "one time guy" is two-fold.

What it does to your current QB's and how it makes them feel. Tommy struggled, but at times had some bright moments and bringing in a one year guy is going to mentally effect him. You would hope that he would just get motivated and want to win the starting job, but if he doesnt, than I am concerned about how he feels about how the coaches will trust him.

2nd- The system is a bit complex, and you are asking a kid to come in and learn the whole playbook. I think it limits what we can call and also have to rebuild chemistry with the WR's.

I like what Brett Smith can do, but is it worth it? Are we a QB like him away from a Nat champ? Is he really that much better than TA?

Conference championship maybe. If we can field a 2010ish defense next year...which certainly looks possible - playing our schedule...I'd say we're a QB like him (and maybe an OL or two) away from 11-12 wins. However, with Tommy, we're probably 9-10. Seems like a no-brainer if possible. I don't know if it would have done much for us this year, our losses were pretty ugly. But I see 2014 shaping up very similar to 2009 offensively. We'll struggle to get to 20, but with the D more often than not that will be enough. A solid QB and it changes the game entirely.

• 1 month later...