ESPN ranked NU coaching gig top 10, ahead of UGA; Georgia Board goes nuts

I thought we were such a hell-hole of a coaching destination that no quality coaches would be willing to come here? At least, that's the self-deprecating BS being crammed down our throats by the "Bo-lievers."

I feel like even though ESPN ranked us that high, it's not likely that coaches view us as a top 10 coaching job. NU has some of the most unique obstacles compared to the other programs that not many coaches may be experienced to handle. I have a hunch that a lot of coaches could be leery of this job because they may believe that Bo is doing about as well as he can for a program with our kinds of challenges & they feel they may not be able to do much better for a fan base that expects more.

Disclosure: if not apparent from my user photo I am a staunch Bo supporter, more-so than most.

I don't mean to put you down for supporting Bo. I support Bo also, just not as much as I suspect you do.

I suspect that by "unique obstacles" you refer to the media pressure. There are few college coaching jobs in the country with as much media coverage as NU. The compareable jobs would be at places like Alabama, Texas, OSU, and OU. Places that are able to hire coaches with a good resume. I have no doubt NU would be able to hire a qualified HC who is not afraid of too much media pressure.

LOL...The 2 Dawgs who had your back were me & DaveDawg...Imma 58 & he's early 60's. Most of those posters there are under 30...

FWIW... I think UGA is definitely a top 15 job but they chapped my ass by not understanding the history, tradition, facilities, fanbase, money & clout that Nebraska wields...

Neb. will always be a top 15 coaching destination...They're young & don't understand. I threw up some stats that showed that even tho some feel Neb. is down & has been for a while they are still comparable record wise to UGA for the last 6, 14 & 25 years...

Whatever...The kids down here don't understand the perks & the prestige that the Neb. job brings to the table...

I love talking about UGA's record & accomplishments but hate to see people diss another storied program to prop up their own... :cheers

• Fire 1

UGA's problem might be that they don't oversign(like everyone in the SEC west, UF doesn't oversign though) and the competition around the state for talent.

you got Bama,R-Barn, Tennessee, Clemson, South Caroliny, FSU,etc just waiting to pick off the talent and its not as deep as a Florida or Texas.

I guess I'm glad most Big Ten teams don't take recruiting seriously. Would be a terrible pain if we had to deal with cutthroat coaches from every direction and under the table payments from the Tigers.

So since we are a top ten destination that means we can fire Bo and can get a real head coach right? :D

Reported.

Look out guys, we've got an internet funny guy here.

Thanks, imo.

I'm pretty surprised that eSECpn had DONU up that high.

I think it's another back door jab at Bo. They obviously don't like him and by claiming the job is that prestigious, they are inferring that his results don't square with the level of the position.

So since we are a top ten destination that means we can fire Bo and can get a real head coach right? :D

Reported.

Look out guys, we've got an internet funny guy here.

Thanks, imo.

I'm pretty surprised that eSECpn had DONU up that high.

I think it's another back door jab at Bo. They obviously don't like him and by claiming the job is that prestigious, they are inferring that his results don't square with the level of the position.

I agree this is a possibility........since schools like Florida, Michigan, and Texas are on there. It's less about the prestige of the job and more about potential for a storyline if ESPN is involved.

Tin Foil hat please. unbelievable

Out to get Bo!

Fing hilarious.

Well dont be so sure. If they went through the list and showed a clip of the coach at each school theyd show Sababn with a crystal football, Mack with a crystal football, Brian Kelly during practice, Bo ripping Taylors ass during a&m game....

I suspect that by "unique obstacles" you refer to the media pressure. There are few college coaching jobs in the country with as much media coverage as NU. The compareable jobs would be at places like Alabama, Texas, OSU, and OU. Places that are able to hire coaches with a good resume. I have no doubt NU would be able to hire a qualified HC who is not afraid of too much media pressure.

That was my fault for not specifying and using "unique obstacles" so broadly. Media pressure wasn't what I was referring to, that's consistent all over the place.

I was mostly referring to our geography/recruiting disadvantage & the fact that we have to recruit on a nation-wide level as much as, if not more than, any other major program in the country. It requires a significantly greater amount of time, energy, charm, and effort to convince a star recruit to travel hundreds of miles to play for NU than for a coach in a hotbed like Bama, UF, UGA, or UT would. Nick Saban can visit a blue-chip prospect and be back in his office the same day while Bo has to spend days at a time away from the team flying to New Jersey & Florida to reach a similar-caliber recruit. That extra time Saban gets to devote to other team-tasks is a luxury that Bo does not have.

For a while Bo had to fly commercial on recruiting trips up until about a couple years ago, when the athletic department could finally afford to give Bo access to a private plane solely for recruiting. Recruiting via private plane is exponentially more efficient and time-saving, and the top programs have had private planes for their coaches for a while now. It was unsettling when I found out that piece of info, unaware that we were lagging so far behind most other power programs for this long in that regard.

I always get a kick out of people that have never been to Nebraska make fun of it. Then they actually come here for a Husker game/CWS and change their tune almost immediately.

And I laughed at the guy that said half the country can't name a city in Nebraska when Omaha has been hosting the CWS for like 50 years. Id guess way more than half the country knows that.

• Fire 1

Well, Sadly, you have to remember that a lot of our young fans and posters are too young to remember when Nebraska was a nationally dominant power, perhaps the dominant football program in the land.

UGA is about 11th all time in wins, etc. and that is probably about where we deserve to be ranked as a program. I do think UGA has a lot to offer as a program because of the fertile recruiting ground. Still, there are other factors to consider with listing something as a desirable coaching job. Fan expectations, program support overall, university support, living area, etc. , are just a few of the things that come into play other than recruiting potential.

Recruiting location is a nice luxury if cultivated well, but it is not everything. Explain Boise State? Aside from that is Notre Dame really in a recruiting hotbed?

I would probably question a few of those, but really is there really that much difference in the top 20 programs or so?

LOL...The 2 Dawgs who had your back were me & DaveDawg...Imma 58 & he's early 60's. Most of those posters there are under 30...

FWIW... I think UGA is definitely a top 15 job but they chapped my ass by not understanding the history, tradition, facilities, fanbase, money & clout that Nebraska wields...

Neb. will always be a top 15 coaching destination...They're young & don't understand. I threw up some stats that showed that even tho some feel Neb. is down & has been for a while they are still comparable record wise to UGA for the last 6, 14 & 25 years...

Whatever...The kids down here don't understand the perks & the prestige that the Neb. job brings to the table...

I love talking about UGA's record & accomplishments but hate to see people diss another storied program to prop up their own... :cheers

Apologies, I hope it didn't come off as me ridiculing the Georgia board because I think we are the undeniably more prestigious job. Quite the opposite, I think claiming UGA over NU or vice versa is not as cut-and-dry as claiming Texas is better than Nebraska (which no one would deny). Both sides have merit to their arguments.

I was just surprised at the levels of intensity and conviction that Georgia posters were saying there is no way NU could be considered a better job. I think in the group of teams listed after Michigan there is very little separation and it becomes more difficult to say one is better than the other.

Where does UGA football fall in the Georgia sports scene? If I was guessing I would rank them Falcons, Braves, UGA Football then Hawks.

Braves, UGA Football.......Falcons, Hawks....................................................................................................................................................Georgia Tech Football