1620 The Zone Round Table Discussion

teachercd

The panel was fun to listen to. Some I totally agreed with some and some I wondered if their brains were receiving enough oxygen :). That's what a round table panel should be.

The best thing I heard was on the show afterwards. Nick Bahe talked about how Nebraska fans within the state feel as if their program is the only one put under a microscope by fans. I've noticed this same sentiment on this board as well. Living in another state with a high profile program, I know this isn't the case. All major programs are put under the microscope by fans. All programs have yahoos who talk smack to their players on twitter. Alabama has fans that shoot each other for not mourning losses enough. Bahe said the same thing and he's right.

I think it's silly to devalue his opinion because of a two year coaching stint.

This is one of the most illogical things I've read. The only way to value or devalue his opinion is based on what he's done. He had a two year coaching stint that went poorly, so I adjust how I value his opinion. He had a four year playing stint that went exceedingly well, so I also adjust how I value his opinion based on that. Otherwise, I have no basis for assigning any value to his opinion - he's essentially the say as the random people calling into that show.

What I think you're intending to say is that it's silly to be dismissive of his opinion because of a two year coaching stint - which I agree with.

This is awkward, but fun. About halfway through now... Tommie was entirely reasonable. Everyone pretty much has been so far. Here are some points, but you'll have to listen for yourself to get the full ideas in context.

• Tommie said Bo and staff shun all outside advice/help from former players. Says Bo wants it like Fort Knox.
  • Mike Rose Sr. admits there is some us-against-the-world mentality
  • Apparently got heated during commercial break, possibly between Tommie and Mike or Dirk and Sipple.
  • Mike Rose Sr is a longtime Husker fan, so he's approaching it from two sides
  • DB thinks if Bo was more open and controlled the message going out, it wouldn't get so out of hand
  • Mike Rose exchanged emails and made up with a poster who was nasty to Jr.
  • Sipple does not understand the concept of message boards (his words) :confucius

Eh. I think that's a good point, but I also think it's equally silly to automatically assign value to his opinion because he was a good football player.

I know plenty of people that are great athletes at their sports, or at least were. Better than I ever was or will be. But if you watch a game on ESPN with them, they actually know very little about the intricacies of the sport. A lot of the time they're borderline moronic in their understanding of a lot of things.

You could argue that for some. But, it's tough for me to not give the benefit of the doubt to someone that played college football for four years and won two national titles. I stand by what I said in that regardless of his failed coaching stints, I think he's probably got more to offer to the discussion than most of the people on this board and many that offer their opinions on the program. If we can't give people with experience credit for their experience, then what's the point of having experience?

And RedDenver, that's essentially what I meant. Yes, I think it's OK to criticize a little bit for his failed coaching stints. But, he is one of the greatest college football players to ever play the game, evidenced by his induction to the Hall of Fame. I find it insanely illogical to then try and argue he was just a good athlete or a natural (not saying you are). So yes, we can devalue his opinion, but to me, it doesn't take a lot away from what he knows and the opinions he can offer.

It doesn't matter if he was a (great or awful) player, (great or awful) coach, plumber or aquarium guy. Are his points true or false? Let's worry about that.

Some successful ex-players make terrible points. Some terrible ex-players make great points. Some plumbers who didn't even play high school football make great points.

• Fire 1