QB Joe Burrow [Ohio State - Signed LOI]

Who'd you like better Tom? Dillard or Burrow. Fowler was really pushing for Burrow and I hold high regard for his opinion.

Dillman is a high risk/high reward situation. Very risky since he's coming off that ACL injury and hasn't played American football for very long. He might not even start for his high school apparently. IMO, you take Burrow.

He visited last spring, he was very interested of course being a legacy and all. I'm very disappointed about this, but we'll see what happens down the line I guess. I'm certainly not going to question the staff to much, they know whet they are doing, I hope.

Dillman has a ton of potential for sure. There is a reason he was a 5 star and in the conversation as the number one overall player for the 15 class before his Achilles injury. The uncertainty of the injury and his development is the big question. Dillman probably won't even be 100% this season, so it will be tough to really get a read on him. From all accounts if he actually pans out he will be a great QB, and be a 1st round draft type talent, big if thou. Guess they figure it's worth the risk with some young QBs in the system. We did offer him very early, one of the first QBs we offered for the class, so it's someone we really wanted. Hope it works out for us, only time will tell

Is is possible we showed interest here but he declined to go any further after seeing our QB depth chart? I know OSU has an elite guy committing every year also but maybe Urb promised him something whereas we promised a chance to compete.

@Sean_Callahan: There was a point where Nebraska could've probably got Burrow, but they never showed interest or offered. Ohio State just offered today.

Maybe OSU was always his first choice. If they just offered and he committed right away he may have always wanted to go there and maybe that is what NU was hearing. Maybe his dad steered him away from NU. He didn't exactly leave on great terms after getting let go when BC took over. Maybe for what ever reason Beck just didn't like him. There are many reason's why he may not have got an offer.

Is is possible we showed interest here but he declined to go any further after seeing our QB depth chart? I know OSU has an elite guy committing every year also but maybe Urb promised him something whereas we promised a chance to compete.

@Sean_Callahan: There was a point where Nebraska could've probably got Burrow, but they never showed interest or offered. Ohio State just offered today.

Maybe OSU was always his first choice. If they just offered and he committed right away he may have always wanted to go there and maybe that is what NU was hearing. Maybe his dad steered him away from NU. He didn't exactly leave on great terms after getting let go when BC took over. Maybe for what ever reason Beck just didn't like him. There are many reason's why he may not have got an offer.

Joes brother posts on 247 and he flat out said he really wanted an NU offer, but as the process went on and longer we waited he started to move on, even before the Dillman commitment. We certainly had our chance and we chose Dillman over him. Happens everyday but to lose a legacy At QB to at coach and a team that has been better the last decade certainly is going to lead to some head scratching.

It's going to look a lot worse when Burrow has a monster year and Dillman is splitting reps in HS.

Joes brother posts on 247 and he flat out said he really wanted an NU offer, but as the process went on and longer we waited he started to move on, even before the Dillman commitment. We certainly had our chance and we chose Dillman over him. Happens everyday but to lose a legacy At QB to at coach and a team that has been better the last decade certainly is going to lead to some head scratching.

It's going to look a lot worse when Burrow has a monster year and Dillman is splitting reps in HS.

I just think that Dillman has been one of their top prospects and he is who they have really targeted. They got him to commit and they are happy. There is obviously something NU was not sold on Burrow about or they would have offered him.

Makes me wish we had found a way to clear room on the roster to take both. I know its not the way we handle this particular position, but if there's one position you want to stockpile the most talent possible and sort it out later, QB comes to mind. That'd make one hell of a battle and I'm sure we'd get a fine QB out of it, even if one or two had to transfer.

Only one guy's going to be the starter. I'd have no problems if a legitimately talented player left for playing time elsewhere. Hopefully they'd have given it their best shot here and we could still support them wherever they wind up.

Oh well, here's to hoping they're both real good ones in college! Except of course if Burrow plays us. Then he needs to pull a Gabbert or Freeman and go 0-for-career.

Who'd you like better Tom? Dillman or Burrow. Fowler was really pushing for Burrow and I hold high regard for his opinion.

I'd hang my hat on Dillman. Looking through the films, I see similar throws and arm strength. Dillman goes through his progressions and uses both sides of the field. Burrow locks on his #1, and if it is not there, he runs or forces the throw anyway. When their "clocks" go offer, Dillman will run or scrabble while looking downfield, while Burrow is all run. In a footrace, I'd take Dillman, hands down, but give it up to Burrow for his scrabbling ability, his size helps a lot.

Both are projects. Dillman has that injury, but his upside just looks much higher because of his athleticism.

IMO:

Dillman: Insanely high potential, as high of ceiling we've had here since ???? (maybe Carl Crawford if he'd have come?) Like HuskerFowler said pre-injury he was 5star level. Have recruited QB decently well with a young TA, Stanton, Darlington (yes I know the head thing) and Bush the last three cycles that we can afford for Dillman to come in and sit 2-3 years. Now as high as his potential reward is his risk is high too....BUT he is already 6'4 220 and can really move. If he doesn't turn out at QB I think we can move him to TE or a big WR.

Burrow: A legacy and a darn good one at that. Player of the year as a JR in a big time football state. If we have a normal sized class there is no doubt in my mind he would have got a lot more interest and probably an offer. Far elusive then Dillman, but not a head over heels better runner. Woulda like to have him but I trust the coaches have valid reasons for Dillman over him.

Good info HuskerFowler by the way.

This isn't a Dillman vs Burrow scenario, if it was then Burrow would have an offer as at least a #2 option on the board. All anyone really needs to do in order to know how the staff thinks of Burrow fitting in as a QB at NU is to count the number of non-Dillman QB offers and realize that Burrow wasn't one of them. I get many on here like Burrow, heck I would love to bring in a legacy recruit, but the reality is that the staff, or at least Beck, doesn't feel the same way.

This isn't a Dillman vs Burrow scenario, if it was then Burrow would have an offer as at least a #2 option on the board. All anyone really needs to do in order to know how the staff thinks of Burrow fitting in as a QB at NU is to count the number of non-Dillman QB offers and realize that Burrow wasn't one of them. I get many on here like Burrow, heck I would love to bring in a legacy recruit, but the reality is that the staff, or at least Beck, doesn't feel the same way.

I don't think it's so much when as what order. Perhaps it was the same with Darlington and Stanton (I don't know) but it seems like we're aware of him but we continue to offer other QBs and not him. That would be pretty telling to me. And it's not like everyone else is beating down his door either - West Virginia is his only big five conference offer, and Morgantown is a 2.5 hour drive from his house.

My point exactly (although there are obviously other schools at his door now).

We are mad cuz urban took the next great qb and osu fans are probably like WTF! A 3 star qb to replace braxton miller with an offer from the wvu. Only time will tell who was right. With Stanton, tommy, and Darlington I think we have the flexibility to take a risk on a possible 5 star qb over a kid who seems to resemble qbs already on our roster.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bad bad feeling about this. So help me if in a couple years Burrow is the starter at OSU and leads them to a win over us in the CCG while we struggle to find a solid healthy Qb I will spit nails.

Bold prediction. I hope Burrow's goes on to have a high level of success (but loses every game to the Huskers of course), but looking at our current depth chart (Armstrong, Stanton, Darlington, Bush, *Dillman, and potentially a 2nd QB in this class), I am not worried about the amount of potential we have at that position. Burrow's could be great, potentially, but the potential for greatness is there for the QBs we already have.