Former Nebraska Kicker Says He Was Openly Gay, Loved By Teammates

GSG

Ameer is Muslim.

oh. i always, for some reason, just thought he was christian. but i guess i never really think about it.

but my point still stands. being muslim and being gay is not the same thing and because a christian is open to one does not mean he would be open to the other. ron brown has made homosexuals uncomfortable, maybe not personally. but certainly in public with his lobbying. and again, that is not to say that he would be anything but compassionate and caring for a gay player. but if people assumed he would not be, that it not completely irrational.

I'm with you.

Former Nebraska Kicker Says He Was Openly Gay, Loved By Teammates LINK

"Loved By Teammates." This is a purposeful play on words by Deadspin, right? To make you read the article to find out exact what is meant by it?

i don't know, jj. i see what you are saying, but when you have publicly lobbied for the legality to discriminate against homosexuals, you can not be too surprised that some people might think you would make homosexuals feel uncomfortable.

That's a fair point but I would like to believe well read and knowledgeable fans, as I believe many HBers are, should also know his positions on judging others and the difference between being against something he views as sinful but not being against the sinner. I'm not saying I agree with his public stance on it but I sure haven't seen any other evidence that he is anything less than accepting and supportive of those he interacts with.

But I sure can see where simply knowing a person is opposed to homosexuality could cause a gay person to be uncomfortable even with no additional reasons to feel that way.

• Fire 3

That's a fair point but I would like to believe well read and knowledgeable fans, as I believe many HBers are, should also know his positions on judging others and the difference between being against something he views as sinful but not being against the sinner. I'm not saying I agree with his public stance on it but I sure haven't seen any other evidence that he is anything less than accepting and supportive of those he interacts with.

yeah, i agree. i would assume that he would be supportive of any player. he definitely seems extremely gregarious and compassionate.

• Fire 1
i don't know, jj. i see what you are saying, but when you have publicly lobbied for the legality to discriminate against homosexuals, you can not be too surprised that some people might think you would make homosexuals feel uncomfortable.

And boom. Perfectly said.

• Fire 3

Interesting that the team and media chose to keep this in the closet even though the player was openly gay. Does this perhaps say something about the tolerance for this in the state of Nebraska being less than we thought it was? LINK

What would you have them do? "HEY LOOK EVERYBODY! THIS GUY IS GAY! LOOK AT HOW TOLLERANT WERE BEING!".

• Fire 1

Interesting that the team and media chose to keep this in the closet even though the player was openly gay. Does this perhaps say something about the tolerance for this in the state of Nebraska being less than we thought it was? LINK

What would you have them do? "HEY LOOK EVERYBODY! THIS GUY IS GAY! LOOK AT HOW TOLLERANT WERE BEING!".

Isn't that sort of what Mizzou is doing right now?

I did. I looked at the staff in '04 and '05. I guess I need you to fill me in. I'm not familiar with any of them except Kennedy, so I really have no clue. I wouldve thought you meant Brown too, but I already knew he wasnt there. Unless you mean Gill? I know he's quite spiritual as well.

We have to keep in perspective that this was going on 10 years ago. Obviously society has really progressed a sh#t ton since then, in my opinion. Hell, I know I have.

Being "spiritual" or even Christian doesn't automatically make one intolerant based on sexual orientation.

That's because their trying to get an average player drafted higher by making it out to be that if he isn't drafted where they'd like, that it's because of his sexual orientation.

That's kind of a chickensh#t way to look at it, Allen.

From all indications, Sam is a helluva player. No one is talking about where they'd "like" Sam to be drafted. He already had everyone's attention and had already been assigned his draft prediction. Haven't heard the suggestion beyond yours that his coming out would actually RAISE his draft position.

It's a pretty big sports story. Sam made a difficult choice. Missouri had to get out ahead of it. So did the NFL. Everyone handled it well.

Still, I'm impressed we got to 38 posts without a snippy retort.

• Fire 3