** What did we learn today? FAU version **

NUance

At what point did the defense "take awhile" to settle in? They allowed one drive. The opening drive. They proceeded to shut that sh#t down all game long.

If this wasnt everything you wanted to see and then some, then you're a helpless soul and may you burn in your pissed of Husker dipsh*t eternal fire.

• Fire 3

Offense looked good. Not its best though. Tommy has accuracy issues. Mentally, he is close, still saw him throw to covered receivers instead of open guys on the other side of the field. He tends to stare down certain receivers. But the kid has one hell of an arm.

Ameer said he wanted to be a complete back, I think he has made that point very clear today, keeping two hands on the ball when running into contact. Sets the example for the younger guys. Imani Cross seems to have a quicker burst of speed of him, I love it. T. Newby, really good looking back, still needs improvement though. Being patient, moving the ball to the outside so it won't get stripped from him, covering the ball when taking a hit. Saw many times with both Cross and Newby where they got hit and only saw one hand holding the ball and I just held my breath hoping they didn't fumble. Receiver wise, I saw a few drops that should have been catches, and a few that were well overthrown or behind them, and again I chalk that up to QB accuracy. OL, all I can say about that is WOW, saw A LOT of different guys take the field and get reps out there. It was pretty consistent, only a few times on run play I would've liked to see them get a better push on the line of scrimmage.

Defensively, Bo was right, they didn't neccesarily know what FAU was going to throw at them. I would say the first 2 drives by FAU were a bit rough. And again in the 3rd quarter was another rough drive. But I thought defensive line did better as the game went on, they got the push they really needed to disrupt the QB and take care of the running game. The secondary is still a little iffy. I think I'll reserve my better judgment of how our secondary will fair against Fresno St. Last note on the defense, gotta take advantage of turnovers. Could've easily had 3 INT and 1 fumble recovery.

Special Teams looked okay, better than last year. One sidenote though, I think a lot of folks, not all of them, complain about the special teams but really have no idea what to expect or have unreasonably high expectations for the special teams on every play, and just want something to complain about.

I liked what I saw from Armstrong. That deep ball should help open up a lot of running room for our runningbacks. Not to mention he's no slouch running the ball himself. Showed a lot of poise, didn't panic after some brutal penalties erased some big plays. Hung in there and kept battling. Made a lot of good decisions, I don't have too much of a problem with the passes he threw away, definitely preferable to taking the sacks. Showed good pocket awareness, and that only helps his offensive line out. Needs to be more consistent, particularly with the short passes. However, nobody should know what his strengths are better than Tim Beck, and I hope Beck leans on those strengths.

Ameer Abdullah, eh, not half bad, I guess.

Kenny Bell, like Armstrong, needs to be more consistent. Made a great one-handed grab early in the game, and did a good job getting behind the defense overall. Ended up having a good day, could have had a great day. Looking for him to have a great year. Poised to break some records around here.

Westerkamp, not much to say here. Needs to be our go-to guy going forward.

Pierson-El looked promising, hopefully he's the guy catching punts.

McMullen is going to have a great year, I suspect. He, Collins, and Valentine pretty much manhandled FAU's offensive line, no surprises here. This defensive line is going to be filthy with Gregory. I played closer attention to what was going on in the trenches on defense, don't want to say too much about the back 7 right now.

Abdullah is the truth.

People need to relax about Armstrong.

Outside of Westercamp, I'm not impressed with the WR corp.

Punt return is still beyond horrendous--to the point where I'm still convinced special teams will cost NU a game or two.

I'm not sold on the defense.

Eric Crouch......bad at announcing.

PIZZA RANCH!

I'm not sold on the defense either...especially with Gregory being out for now, however, holding any team to 200 total yards on offense isn't too shabby. I was impressed with Roach at MLB....just throwing that out there.

Offense looked good. Not its best though. Tommy has accuracy issues. Mentally, he is close, still saw him throw to covered receivers instead of open guys on the other side of the field. He tends to stare down certain receivers. But the kid has one hell of an arm.

Ameer said he wanted to be a complete back, I think he has made that point very clear today, keeping two hands on the ball when running into contact. Sets the example for the younger guys. Imani Cross seems to have a quicker burst of speed of him, I love it. T. Newby, really good looking back, still needs improvement though. Being patient, moving the ball to the outside so it won't get stripped from him, covering the ball when taking a hit. Saw many times with both Cross and Newby where they got hit and only saw one hand holding the ball and I just held my breath hoping they didn't fumble. Receiver wise, I saw a few drops that should have been catches, and a few that were well overthrown or behind them, and again I chalk that up to QB accuracy. OL, all I can say about that is WOW, saw A LOT of different guys take the field and get reps out there. It was pretty consistent, only a few times on run play I would've liked to see them get a better push on the line of scrimmage.

Defensively, Bo was right, they didn't neccesarily know what FAU was going to throw at them. I would say the first 2 drives by FAU were a bit rough. And again in the 3rd quarter was another rough drive. But I thought defensive line did better as the game went on, they got the push they really needed to disrupt the QB and take care of the running game. The secondary is still a little iffy. I think I'll reserve my better judgment of how our secondary will fair against Fresno St. Last note on the defense, gotta take advantage of turnovers. Could've easily had 3 INT and 1 fumble recovery.

Special Teams looked okay, better than last year. One sidenote though, I think a lot of folks, not all of them, complain about the special teams but really have no idea what to expect or have unreasonably high expectations for the special teams on every play, and just want something to complain about.

Personally the specially teams looked pretty bad. No big or even decent returns on punts or kicks that I saw (I missed a few in the second half). Two muffs on punts. A couple of big kick returns by FAU. The only bright spots were the kickers and even they could put those deeper into the endzone...

Westerkamp is Houdini

Those were the exact words out of my mouth when I saw him hold the ball up.

I shouted "He caught that!" and just laughed. It was a pure laugh, just joy, because for at least one week, one game, despite some follies & foibles and some of the injuries (RG$ most worrisome), this was a fun day, a day when we just won, and did so quite handily. And that was the best, funnest, funniest of all the plays this day.

• Fire 2

Westerkamp is Houdini

Those were the exact words out of my mouth when I saw him hold the ball up.

I shouted "He caught that!" and just laughed. It was a pure laugh, just joy, because for at least one week, one game, despite some follies & foibles and some of the injuries (RG$ most worrisome), this was a fun day, a day when we just won, and did so quite handily. And that was the best, funnest, funniest of all the plays this day.

I figured you'd be excited for less in stadium commercials. Although I was pissed they took down the player stats on the ribbon board.