*** 2017 Recruiting ***

I saw on twitter 247 put up an article and it said a HS coach in Cali says we are wasting our time. Can any subscribers tell me what it said?

Wasting out time with who?

That's what Im asking. It was a subscribers only article

Recruiting RB's from Cali. Says most of them don't fit our/big 10 play. Used Newby as an example. Say we should focus on midwest/texas/south for RBs. I would agree, Ozigbo/Bryant seem to fit the O better. They know the Big 10 is a tough punishing conference.

It wasn't a shot at us, just a probably realistic observation.

• Fire 1

I saw on twitter 247 put up an article and it said a HS coach in Cali says we are wasting our time. Can any subscribers tell me what it said?

Recruiting RB's from Cali. Says most of them don't fit our/big 10 play. Used Newby as an example. Say we should focus on midwest/texas/south for RBs. I would agree, Ozigbo/Bryant seem to fit the O better. They know the Big 10 is a tough punishing conference.

If all RB from Cali were similar and all RB from midwest/etc. were similar, then that's a good observation. However, those are big places with many, many RB's, so it's a silly stereotype. Any guesses that coach played for or is a fan of a West Coast school?
  • Fire 1

If all RB from Cali were similar and all RB from midwest/etc. were similar, then that's a good observation. However, those are big places with many, many RB's, so it's a silly stereotype. Any guesses that coach played for or is a fan of a West Coast school?
Maybe that's why he said "most", not all. And I don't think he is bias to West Coast schools, he encouraged us to stay in Cali and take advantage our staff.

Maybe that's why he said "most", not all. And I don't think he is bias to West Coast schools, he encouraged us to stay in Cali and take advantage our staff.

Fair enough. I just think there's plenty of good RB's in Cali and in other places to keep recruiting them. To say otherwise seems silly.

Fair enough. I just think there's plenty of good RB's in Cali and in other places to keep recruiting them. To say otherwise seems silly.

Have to agree with RedDenver on this one.

To claim Nebraska is wasting their time recruiting a certain position from a certain hot bed of talent is kind of a very strange and odd statement unless the coach simply doesn't want HIS RBs going to Nebraska.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have this decently updated. Let me know if I'm missing someone.

14 commits on our way to (possibly) 24. I think we're looking for 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 OT, 2 DT, 1 DE (JUCO), 1 LB, 2 CB and 1 S but that's obviously 11 for 10 spots. Might not take a JUCO DE if we don't get Van Ginkel. Could live without another OT. Could also see Dwayne Johnson not come back for a fifth year. Possibly Adam Taylor as well which could open up a couple more spots.

Priority:
DT - Only four left after this year. Behind by not taking one last year. For sure need two.
DB - Our roster isn't in bad shape but we don't have any commits there yet.

WR - Good with the two we have but we're after four and seem to be slipping with our top targets.

RB - Roster in good shape but I'm not sure where we are on these recruits.

-----------------------------------------

QB - 1 - TRISTAN GEBBIA
RB - 1 - Jamari Peacock, Daniel Young, Alaric Williams
FB - 1 - BEN MILES
WR - 4 - KEYSHAWN JOHNSON Jr., JAEVON McQUITTY, Jamire Calvin, Joseph Lewis, Isaiah Hodgins, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Emmanuel Greene
TE - 2 - AUSTIN ALLEN, REESE LEITAO
OT - 2-3 - BRENDEN JAIMES, MATT SICHTERMAN, Ryan Nelson, Aaron Banks, Austin Jackson, Foster Sarell, Chuck Filiaga
OG/C - 1 - BROC BANDO

DT - 2-3 - DEONTRE THOMAS, Damion Daniels, Ben Hutch, Deiontae Watts
DE - 2-3 - ROBERT PORCHER, GUY THOMAS, Martin Andrus, JUCO Andrew Van Ginkel
LB - 3 - WILLIE HAMPTON, AVERY ROBERTS, Rahyme Johnson, Andrew Ward
CB - 1-2 - Darnay Holmes, Jaylon Redd, Gentry Bonds, TraJon Cotton, Elijah Gates, Thomas Graham
S - 1 - Jaylen Kelly-Powell, Nick Pickett

Edited by Mavric
  • Fire 1

Thanks, Mavric. This info confirms what I mentioned in another thread - Of the remaining primary reported targets, only 2 are from within the 500 mile radius, and one of those is a JUCO. The rest are almost exclusively Californian, with only 2 others coming from B10 country.

There absolutely must be a shift away from California as this staff develops local relationships. I hope they are putting that effort in.

Thanks, Mavric. This info confirms what I mentioned in another thread - Of the remaining primary reported targets, only 2 are from within the 500 mile radius, and one of those is a JUCO. The rest are almost exclusively Californian, with only 2 others coming from B10 country.

There absolutely must be a shift away from California as this staff develops local relationships. I hope they are putting that effort in.

What you say here that is key is "relationships", they take time to build, and we're benefitting from the time put in when this coaching group was on the west coast. I for one appreciate that those relationships have followed them, we're very lucky for that. And I have 100% confidence that they're building the same locally. Just have to be patient.

• Fire 3

Not sure I like that we're still offering WRs and it's kind of odd that several of them are already committed elsewhere.

Are we just taking two or three more Wrs in this class? Or will it depend on a number of different factors, like missing at a position, someone transfers etc.

Edit-might have asked this question before but I can't remember, so forgive my memory mav.

• Mavric changed the title to *** 2017 Recruiting ***