Can Spartans stop Huskers run game?

At 5-0, Nebraska enters its matchup against Michigan State as the only unbeaten team in the Big Ten. Led by Heisman candidate Ameer Abdullah, the Cornhuskers have been fueled by a potent rushing attack, while the Spartans have made their mark by stopping the run.

Something has to give on Saturday when these two teams square off in East Lansing (8 ET on ABC).

A matchup of strengths

Nebraska ranks in the top three in the FBS in rushing yards per game, yards per rush and rushes of 10 yards or longer.

The Cornhuskers are averaging a Power Five-high 4.4 yards before contact per rush and have made it at least five yards past the line of scrimmage before first contact on 32 percent of their runs (best in the Big Ten).

Against Illinois last week, Nebraska had five rushing touchdowns, one more than Michigan State has allowed all season.

The Spartans rank in the top five in the FBS in rushing yards allowed per game and yards per rush.

They have allowed 92 TOTAL rushing yards before contact, fourth best among Power Five schools. Nebraska has rushed for 1,136 yards before contact in five games this season, most among Power Five schools.

http://espn.go.com/blog/colleges/nebraska/post/_/id/3709/can-spartans-stop-huskers-run-game

In 2012, MSU had the #8 Rushing Defense allowing only 100.4 YPG and 3.3 YPC. Nebraska put up 313 and 7.8 in East Lansing.

In 2013, MSU had the #1 Rushing Defense allowing only 80.8 YPG and 2.7 YPC. Nebraska put up 182 and 5.7.

Right now, MSU has the #5 Rushing Defense only allowing 78.3 YPG and 2.8 YPC. Even Oregon only went for 173 and 4.3.

Our Rushing Offense is better than it has been in a long time. Tim Beck and Ameer are going to "get theirs." We just have to limit turnovers.

• Fire 2

The battle with our running game against their defense is going to be really interesting. I honestly expect them to do something similar to what Miami tried to do with bringing an extra safety down to help out. They need to get burned over the top once or twice to teach them they can't do that.

I expect Ameer to get around 120-130 yards in this game and Tommy to get 70-80. Total rushing yards should be a round 350. If they do that and we keep the turnovers to zero or close to it, I think we win.

• Fire 3

No, only Tim Beck can if he decides to take the ball out of Ameer's hands like he did against MacNeese State. This is a good test to see if we're going to stick with the identity we established the last two games, or if it was just fool's gold.

This, and turnover margin/false starts.

If we're even or better in the turnover margin and pound Ameer for four quarters, we'll get this one.

• Fire 1

I think theres too much focus on if our offense vs their defense. I think the key to the game is going to be our D vs their O, which is greatly underrated this year.

This. I have no doubt we'll get some stops. We need to get some takeaways.

i was just thinking today that i am pretty worried about our defense. either they out-coach and out-smart us and exploit all of our weaknesses, or they just out muscle us.

either way, we will really need out defense to show up and make a statement. ideally, we will not need much from our offense other than ball control.

Samuel McKewon ‏@swmckewonOWH

In 2011, Michigan State brought a NFL QB, two NFL RBs, a NFL TE and a NFL WR to Lincoln. Scored 3 points.

That's pretty interesting. And they're saying this Sparty defense isn't as good as they've had in the last several years.

This is interesting: @Huskers have rushed for a combined 685 yards in their last 3 games vs. @MSU_Football. That's 228 ypg.

We've generally held their offense in check, probably with less defensive talent than we have this year. Of course, even with the talent they had, it didn't seem to translate into great offenses. Their offense this year seems to be at least as good and probably better than previous years.

We've run the ball on them better than anyone the last three years. Our offense seems to be more consistently good this year, though perhaps not as many huge (50+ yard) plays as we've seen in previous years. Plus, their defense seems to be a notch down from where it has been.

We should have every chance to win the game. Likely come down to who makes a couple critical mistakes and who can convert touchdowns instead of settling for field goals.