Getting to Indy without winning out

JTrain

The Wisconsin game's gonna be pretty much like the Michigan St game. Until I see it as otherwise, I just cant help this line of thinking.

Except the part where Wisconsin is having trouble fielding a defensive line.

Well, it's gonna be a big important game, so our guys will come out flat and such, and mentally ill-prepared, so I doubt that'll have much impact on Wiscy any. Bagders'll still be fine.

even with that, We only lost by 5 to a much better Michigan State team.

Wisconsin isnt on the same level... I get the hype/environment might be similar but outside of Wisconsin running game, i dont see any place they are better than Michigan state.

Pass defense.

The Wisconsin game's gonna be pretty much like the Michigan St game. Until I see it as otherwise, I just cant help this line of thinking.

Well, it's gonna be a big important game, so our guys will come out flat and such, and mentally ill-prepared, so I doubt that'll have much impact on Wiscy any. Bagders'll still be fine.

Wisconsin isnt on the same level... I get the hype/environment might be similar but outside of Wisconsin running game, i dont see any place they are better than Michigan state.

Pass defense.

Passing efficiency, yes, but not by much. Too bad the run defense isn't as good.

yes, I know we lost by only 5. But we got our faces caved in for 3 quarters. I refuse to let some 10 minute flurry cover up the fact that we were again not emotionally in tune and mentally ready to play a big game. it was embarrassing. What's even more embarrassing looking at it from the outside in in regards to fanbases, you look at that game and think "gee, if Nebraska could play that sound for 4 quarters, they'd be an elite team. But instead they cant get fired up for big games and come out flat and cant even execute the most basic principles of football."

I believe this team has what it takes. I'm just not expecting it anymore this year at this point. Cuz it's happened twice in only 6 games. That means it's probably gonna happen twice more in the next 6. Hence, losing 4 again, which is on par. When I see something otherwise, then I'll get excited again. Until then, I sit back and see.

If it happens two more times, at worst that makes three loses not four.

Like I said, two loss Nebraska still might stand alone atop this mess of a division. Nobody else is really above the others.

But that's why these teams will not all have three losses. They all suck but they are all playing each other and teams that suck even worse (Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, etc.). Odds of NW, Minny, Wisconsin and Iowa all having three conference losses are roughly the same as the odds Tom Shatel will be included on the Pelini Christmas card mailing list.

Like I said, two loss Nebraska still might stand alone atop this mess of a division. Nobody else is really above the others.

But that's why these teams will not all have three losses. They all suck but they are all playing each other and teams that suck even worse (Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, etc.). Odds of NW, Minny, Wisconsin and Iowa all having three conference losses are roughly the same as the odds Tom Shatel will be included on the Pelini Christmas card mailing list.

Here is the rest of the season as I see it in our division.

This week.

Iowa losses at home to Indiana

Minnesota beats Northwestern

Wisconsin beats Illinois

Michigan State beats Purdue

Next week

Nebraska beats Northwestern

Minnesota beats Purdue

Iowa losses on the road to Maryland

Week 9

Nebraska beats Rutgers at home

Minnesota beats Illinois

Wisconsin beats Maryland at home

Week 10

Nebraska beats Purdue

Iowa beats Northwestern at home

Wisconsin losses to Rutgers on the road

Illinois losses to Ohio State

Week 11

Wisconsin beats Purdue

Northwestern beats Michigan at home

Minnesota beats Iowa at home

Week 12

Nebraska losses to Wisconsin on the road

Minnesota losses to Ohio State

Iowa beats Illinois

Northwestern losses to Notre Dame (doesnt matter)

Week 13

Nebraska beats Minnesota at home

Illinois losses to Penn State

Iowa beats Wisconsin at home

Northwestern beats Purdue

Week 14

Nebraska beats Iowa

Purdue losses to Indiana

Northwestern beats Illinois

Wisconsin beats Minnesota at home

This leaves me with:

Nebraska 6-2

Wisconsin 5-3 tiebreaker for beating Nebraska

Minnesota 5-3

Northwestern 5-3

Iowa 4-4

Purdue 1-7

Illinois 0-8

I couldnt decide between Nebraska losing to Wisconsin or Iowa but that would just flip flop the two teams records. So yeah, right now I would say we win the division alone at 6-2. But it is early.

Another loss will make it real difficult for a ccg. Would have to cross our fingers and depend on other teams to lose.

By beating MSU we probably would have been in the top 12 with momentum. And likely favored to win out the remaining games and get a trip to Indy. The loss was so ugly for most of the game that now we are stuck in a real difficult spot. NW, Minny, Rutgers, Wisc and Iowa suddenly look very challenging at this point. Won't have to play perfect, but it won't be a bunch of circled victories. Darn you MSU

I'm worried MSU exposed something (or McNeese), which is going to lead to more losses. Something like the Minnesota game where the OC was showing how movement out of the backfield cleared the LBers and opened up running lanes on our D....before the game was ever played. Sure enough, they did it all day and won. That was exposed against Wisconsin the year before. MSU just taught a masters class on containing Beck's offense - specifically AA. Not good this early in the season.

I'm worried MSU exposed something (or McNeese), which is going to lead to more losses. Something like the Minnesota game where the OC was showing how movement out of the backfield cleared the LBers and opened up running lanes on our D....before the game was ever played. Sure enough, they did it all day and won. That was exposed against Wisconsin the year before. MSU just taught a masters class on containing Beck's offense - specifically AA. Not good this early in the season.

They did a terrific job scheming to take away our run game.

That said, a tremendous amount of that was due to talent and coaching. We won't see a defense that talented and well-coached again this season. The closest we'll see is... Iowa. (gulp)

That said, a tremendous amount of that was due to talent and coaching. We won't see a defense that talented and well-coached again this season. The closest we'll see is... Iowa. (gulp)

Talent, coaching, film, execution. Nothing unusual other than stopping the run as a priority and rush 4 guys. They were prepared and ready.

Senior defensive end Marcus Rush

Nebraska definitely came out and challenged us. Ameer Abdullah, Coach Bo Pelini, they challenged us that we couldn't stop the run. We came out and we did that. So I am proud of our defense, there were a lot of sudden changes. We did our job and we answered back.

Saw on the film going into the game...

I don't know what numbers they really were. I had to go up against both tackles. On the film both tackles had knee pads, they soft setted sometimes, then they would hard set at times too. I watched a lot of film this week; I think the whole d-line did. It definitely paid out.

Reasons for success today...

That all 11 people on the field did their job. We came out and did that for sure.

Michigan State associate head coach and defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi

On their attempts to stop the run game tonight...

It all starts off in the first half - I think they had 13 yards as I looked at the quickie stats at halftime. In the first half, that was the game really as far as stopping the run. We shut down the run about as well as we've stopped it against these guys and that was the key to the game. We made it a passing game. They made some plays; we made some plays. We should have had an interception for a touchdown on that last touchdown they scored while they were on offense. Our kids played pretty darn well today.

On pressuring the quarterback...

No doubt about it, we put a lot of heat on the quarterback even with just four men. We had great four-man pressure out of kids today. Shilique (Calhoun) and Marcus Rush - I can't say enough about the heat that they put on them. Ed Davis made an unbelievable effort on them. Overall, when you beat a great Nebraska football team, you have 11 guys playing well.

(from post game quote/comments)

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=1&SPID=22&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=209697573

Talent, coaching, film, execution. Nothing unusual other than stopping the run as a priority and rush 4 guys. They were prepared and ready.

Senior defensive end Marcus Rush

Nebraska definitely came out and challenged us. Ameer Abdullah, Coach Bo Pelini, they challenged us that we couldn't stop the run. We came out and we did that. So I am proud of our defense, there were a lot of sudden changes. We did our job and we answered back.

Saw on the film going into the game...

I don't know what numbers they really were. I had to go up against both tackles. On the film both tackles had knee pads, they soft setted sometimes, then they would hard set at times too. I watched a lot of film this week; I think the whole d-line did. It definitely paid out.

Reasons for success today...

That all 11 people on the field did their job. We came out and did that for sure.

Michigan State associate head coach and defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi

On their attempts to stop the run game tonight...

It all starts off in the first half - I think they had 13 yards as I looked at the quickie stats at halftime. In the first half, that was the game really as far as stopping the run. We shut down the run about as well as we've stopped it against these guys and that was the key to the game. We made it a passing game. They made some plays; we made some plays. We should have had an interception for a touchdown on that last touchdown they scored while they were on offense. Our kids played pretty darn well today.

On pressuring the quarterback...

No doubt about it, we put a lot of heat on the quarterback even with just four men. We had great four-man pressure out of kids today. Shilique (Calhoun) and Marcus Rush - I can't say enough about the heat that they put on them. Ed Davis made an unbelievable effort on them. Overall, when you beat a great Nebraska football team, you have 11 guys playing well.

(from post game quote/comments)

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=1&SPID=22&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=209697573

Can someone forward this stuff to Bo and Barney and Garrison?

Sometimes I feel like this team just flat out needs some bulletin board material.

we might not play a defense as good as MSU, but we may play one as good as mcneese state
  • Fire 2

Easy. We lose one game to someone besides Wisconsin or Iowa, but beat Wisconsin AND Iowa. We are 6-2.

Already ahead of Wisconsin by tie breaker whether they win out or lose out.

Iowa going 7-1? COME ON GET SERIOUS.

Northwestern going 6-2 including a win against us? Doubt it. Northwestern is our lone additional loss, and goes 5-3, who cares?

Minnesota? LOL

Others? LOL