CFB Selection Committee Rankings (Updated 11/11)

Kernal

This. The committee appears to be studying the teams and games in a way pollsters rarely have time or bandwidth to do.

great points by both of you.

but this is one i think should not be lost. we all complained about how much we hated the old poll system because it was just a scale based on the preseason polls.

now we have a ranking system that is fluid, seems to start over every week, and considers more than just who you or the teams around you most recently beat or lost to, and we are even more upset.

through these first 3 weeks, i am actually pretty pleased in the committee and very confident that only teams that earned it will get into the final four, but everyone will have a fair shot (except marshall, which is neither her nor there).

i have been pleased with the rankings so far.

I can go with that. One thing that I keep thinking about, the ONLY purpose for this poll is to get the top 4 teams. Once they have those decided after the season is over, from 5 on down doesn't mean squat.

Actually the committee also sets the other major bowl games.

I dont know why the big ten doesnt offer up home'n'homes with every SEC team out there, win or lose. Then when the SEC denies, run to the press with it. I'm sick of hearing all day about the Big Ten and their weak ass scheduling out of conference, like we're the only once scapegoating like the SEC is scheduling world beaters up and down.

• Fire 1

The committe not putting out these stupid poll each week, just waiting until it's all played out to pick a top 4, and not giving the talking heads anything to discuss and any agendas to preach about, would have as well.

I think this point is constantly overlooked. NCAA screwed the pooch by inviting even more criticism on the new system which isn't supposed to be like the old polls.

We're all instinctively treating the committee rankings like the old poll system where teams "moved" up and down the polls. The argument should be "why is Georgia ranked #x" or "why is Oregon ahead of y" not "why did ASU jump z spots".

It's impossible to predict how this will all play out in the end. And we haven't seen the effect of conference champions on the committee selection. I'm waiting for the final ranking to make an informed opinion.

Wisconsin is ranked below Nebraska, but I think a win at Camp Randall is what the committee is waiting for. Some kind of sign that this is a different Bo Pelini team.

Why would the committee hold Nebraska to that standard but not reward Florida State, winners of 25 straight games? I think you may be on to something which may further show the committee isn't holding each team in the same standards which is a bit of a disappointment...

I think they can do both. Florida State is still rewarded with a Top 4 slot, though the perception is that the team isn't as sharp as last year. FSU still has every chance to prove itself on the field.

Nebraska isn't exactly being punished at #16 -- and may have been jumped too high at #11 -- but the lack of big games and history of big game letdowns is a legitimate perception, one shared by a lot of Husker fans. Nebraska still has every chance to prove itself on the field.

I can absolutely guarantee a witches brew of one and two loss teams who will make the committee's final decision infuriating and unsatisfying even if it's as fair as it could possibly be.

Here's the million dollar question. If the B1G has a 12-1 conference champ left out of the playoffs, will Delany and the B1G do something about the conference schedule?

I don't understand why the B1G doesn't force:

1. Nebraska vs Ohio State, first week of October
  2. Wisconsin vs Michigan State, second week of October
  3. Nebraska vs Michigan State, third week of October
  4. Wisconsin vs Ohio State, fourth week of October
  5. Nebraska vs Wisconsin, second week of November
  6. Michigan State vs Ohio State, second week of November

The above are the 4 teams that have consistently been ranked since we joined the B1G.

2014 regular season

Nebraska will face 2 ranked opponents, both B1G, at time of game (3 if Minnesota upsets OSU this weekend)

Wisconsin will face 2 ranked opponents, 1 OOC and 1 B1G, at time of game

Michigan State will face 3 ranked opponents, 1 OOC and 2 B1G, at time of game

Ohio State will face 2 ranked opponents, both B1G, at time of game

How anyone can look at the above, minus Michigan State, and find that acceptable needs to explain why. Nebraska is ranked #16 because we have no quality win in the eyes of the committee. Our only loss received a huge kick to the nuts with another double-digit loss to a ranked team. That "quality loss" isn't looking so good, and I wouldn't be surprised if MSU drops another in their last 3 games. Holy heck if that happens...

The committee is rewarding teams for playing ranked opponents. We have 1 more shot in the next 3 weeks and if we do beat Wisconsin, it has to be by more than LSU beat them.

At time of game, number of ranked opponents

Mississippi State, 5 (6 if they make SECCG)

Oregon, 3, all wins (4 if they make PACCG)

Florida State, 3, all wins (4 is possible if they make ACCCG)

TCU, 4, 3-1 record (maxed out)

Alabama, 5 (6 if they make SECCG)

Arizona State, 6 (7 if they make PACCG)

Baylor, 3 (maxed out)

Ohio State, 2 (3 if they make B1GCG)

Auburn, 6 (7 if they somehow make SECCG)

Ole Miss, 5 (6 if they somehow make SECCG)

UCLA, 3 (4 if they make PACCG)

Michigan State, 3, 1-2 record (maxed out)

Kansas State, 4 (maxed out)

Arizona, 4 (5 if they make PACCG)

Georgia, 4 (5 if they make SECCG)

Nebraska, 2 (3 if Minnesota beats Ohio State and 3 or 4 if the before happens and make B1GCG)

How anyone can look at the above and say Nebraska should be higher at this point in time isn't looking at things objectively. We haven't done anything however, that can change with a Miami upset of Florida State, or a Husker win over Wisconsin and a victory over likely over (assumed) top 10 Ohio State.

I still stand by a 12-1 B1G champion making the playoffs. Could be wrong, and in a selfish way I hope I am unless it's NU at 12-1 left in the cold. The only reason I would want it to happen is for the B1G to adjust the future schedules and strengthen the top teams. If a 12-1 B1G champ makes the playoffs, I assume Delany will see it as no reason to change things up. Leave a team out and it may just be enough to force change...

Thoughts on the above rant?

Not sure I can find any argument. A road win at CR will be nice on our resume. On the other hand, by the season end Wisconsin will show 3 losses. Will that really be impressive for us? A little, but I don't think so. Maybe if they had one loss, but no more than 2 at season's end. Poor QB play is noted for them and the loss to NW is a sore eye as well.

I don't expect Minn to upset Ohio State. That's a lot to ride on. Congrats if that happens but then that would give OSU 2 loses. So if Huskers beat them in CCG then OSU has 3 losses with a freshmen QB replacing a Heisman contender. It's nice, but still not very impressive.

OSU should beat Minny and that will give the Gophers 3 losses. Make that 4 for them as long as we beat them. Which is not impressive.

To have a shot and be among discussion is for the Huskers to win out and beat a good "1 loss Urban Meyer Buckeye team". Which holds weight for many people out there. Myself included. Other than that, there really is nothing else we can do about it. And even if we don't get in the tourney with a soft 12-1 record, doing just about everything asked to do, we still will have reached a goal by winning the B1G and playing in a good bowl game to hopefully prove something more. And it gives us some momentum (or steam) heading into next year.

I guess that means that we can look at it as a process for the Huskers to become great. Win out, Win B1G, Win Bowl, then return next year and beat the snot out of BYU in the opener and beat Miami down in South Florida two weeks later. Perception will change with consistent winning and beating other ranked teams.

Why don't they force

First week of season = Nebraska vs. MSU

Second week of season = OSU vs. Wisconsin

Third Week of season = Michigan vs. Minnesota

Minus Michigan, these are the teams that have the best chance to finish the year ranked thus probably ranked going into next year. I threw Michigan in there simply because I needed one more team and at least they are a name recognition program. Hopefully they improve.

Right off the bat, we have three teams with quality wins. They will be front and center games in TV for football starved fans and media. The other opponents for these teams in the first 4 weeks of the season need to be not bottom feeders but low to middle of the road power five conference teams. Ones that the winners of these first three games should win.

We then have three teams with quality wins and probably wins over other power five conferences.

They then go into the rest of their conference games against the easier games. The three that win, these three games, have a much better chance of getting very deep into the season before they would lose (if they lose).

The conference gains more respect. We have more ranked high teams. We recruit better because we are viewed as being back to a power conference.

New Rankings:

1. Mississippi State 9-0

2. Oregon 9-1

3. Florida State 9-0

4. TCU 8-1

5. Alabama 8-1

6. Arizona State 8-1

7. Baylor 8-1

8. Ohio State 8-1

9. Auburn 7-2

10. Ole Miss 8-2

11. UCLA 8-2

12. Michigan State 7-2

13. Kansas State 7-2

14. Arizona 7-2

15. Georgia 7-2

16. Nebraska 8-1

17. LSU

18. Notre Dame

18. Clemson

20. Wisconsin

21. Duke

22. Georgia Tech

23. Utah

24. Texas A&M

25. Minnesota

Let's just say we win out. For simplicity and probability sake, I will just say that if we are 12-1 champions of the B1G, we jump all of the current 2-loss teams, as well as tOSU since they would then have 2 losses. That puts us at #8 already.

Then let's break down the other 7 teams, 4 of which would be in our path to a playoff bid, and see which scenarios would favor us getting in:

1. Mississippi State 9-0

Remaining Schedule:

@ Alabama

vs. Vanderbilt

@ Ole Miss

What I see happening:

What I hope happens and what I believe will happen are different scenarios. I hope Miss. St. wins out, as that would all but ensure that they will be the lone SEC team. My realistic thought, though, is that they will get beat by Bama this weekend, then win their final 2 games, finishing at 11-1 and probably still in the top 4. There is still a scenario where they lose to both Bama and Ole Miss and push themselves out of the playoff conversation.

2. Oregon 9-1

Remaining Schedule:

vs. Colorado

@ Oregon State

What I see happening:

I definitely don't see them dropping either of their last 2 regular season games. They will then likely face the winner of the Arizona-Arizona St game at the end of the year. If it's Arizona State who comes through their last 3 games without a loss, the Pac12 championship will be a play-in round for the playoff. Either one probably gets in before a 1-loss B1G champion. I'll take the ducks winning out and securing a spot in the playoff.

3. Florida State 9-0

Remaining Schedule:

@ Miami

vs. Boston College

vs. Florida

What I see happening:

FSU has shown how vulnerable they are all season long against some pretty weak competition at times, and the writing is on the wall that if they drop just 1 game, they will not be in the playoff. We were able to gash the Canes on the ground, but FSU's running game is very weak. I see them dropping at least 1 of their remaining games - Miami, Florida, or Duke in the CCG.

4. TCU 8-1

Remaining Schedule:

@ Kansas

@ Texas

vs. Iowa State

What I see happening:

This is a pretty weak remaining schedule. They ought to win out and end the season 11-1. Then the question becomes if Baylor also wins out, who gets the playoff spot? Baylor's loss is ugly and TCU has looked like a better team, but Baylor won the head-to-head matchup. It's safe to say the Big 12 will have 1 team get in.

5. Alabama 8-1

Remaining Schedule:

vs. Miss St

vs. W Carolina

vs. Auburn

What I see happening:

The Tide are fortunate to have all of their final 3 games at home, but playing 2 top 10 teams a couple weeks apart is going to be tough for them. I see them dropping at least one of their final games... Probably to W Carolina... JK, but how funny would that be?! You'd have to think that it makes a lot more sense to put a 1-loss B1G champ in the playoff than a 2-loss SEC team. We will see though...

6. Arizona State 8-1

Remaining Schedule:

@ Oregon St

vs. Washington St

@ Arizona

What I see happening:

ASU has a really good team this year. I see them winning out and battling Oregon for the Pac12 championship and a spot in the playoff. The winner of that game will be in, and I think will be Oregon.

7. Baylor 8-1

Remaining Schedule:

vs. Oklahoma State

vs. Texas Tech

vs. Kansas State

What I see happening:

This one will be interesting. They should win out, but then again, nobody (that I know) envisioned them dropping a game to West Virginia by 2 TDs the week after they pulled out a thriller against TCU. Even if they do win out, I'd see the committee going with TCU for the playoff spot, even though Baylor won the head-to-head. That would be difficult, but probably the right thing to do based off their resumes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So there's the situation, and here's what the playoff will look like:

SEC Champ - - Big12 Champ - - Pac12 Champ - - ???????

That 4th spot could go to a lot of different teams - Florida State if they win out, a 2nd SEC team, a 2nd Big12 team....

So what we should be rooting for would go like this:

1) Florida State needs to lose to even give us a shot. Period.

2) It would probably be best if Baylor or TCU goes ahead and drops one of their remaining games so the committee isn't tempted to surpass the B1G champion for a 2nd Big12 team. This is pretty improbable, but it would be difficult to choose TCU when Baylor will be crowned conference champs. At the same time, it would be difficult to choose Baylor when their loss is to West Virginia by 2 TDs, since WVU will probably end the regular season with 5 losses.

3) This weekend, I'll be pulling for Mississippi State to beat Bama. That would essentially erase the SEC's hopes of putting 2 teams in the playoff. If Bama wins, I'm rooting for Auburn to upset Bama the last week of the season, or Ole Miss to spoil Miss St's Cinderella season. Bottom line, if FSU drops a game and there are still multiple SEC teams with 0 or 1 loss, that 4th spot will go to the SEC.

So if we win out and these 3 scenarios go our way, we should get a spot. Even if only #1 and #3 happen, we still ought to.

Bottom line, let's just take care of business and at least give ourselves a chance!

GBR!!!

• Fire 1

Anyone else thought about trying to make the playoff again next year?? We have the same horrible schedule in conference. Out of conference isn't any better except Miami might get more respect next year and we play at their place. SMFH.

But depending on how we end this year, and with a very young team returning damn near completely intact, we could be in a much better position starting off.

Anyone else thought about trying to make the playoff again next year?? We have the same horrible schedule in conference. Out of conference isn't any better except Miami might get more respect next year and we play at their place. SMFH.

It doesn't matter as long as we do what we need to, what every team used to need to do, which is go undefeated. Nebraska would be top 5 now if we were undefeated, and top 4 after this week..

I agree with 8 team playoff being better, but then I think we would be complaining about the three at large

the "nice" thing about the 5+3 playoff is that there is no dispute about who those 5 are. This takes much of the "who beat who beat who barely lost to who" crap out if it for most of the playoff. The 3 might come down to a good smaller conf or a team from one of the champions' divisions who may have played them coin-flip close and who deserves another shot. On top of that, there's no need to even worry about the top 5 until the end of the season anyway! There might be rankings to help sort out the +3, but 5 spots are secure for teams that TCoB on their schedule. No need to worry about strength or any subjective measures. Wouldn't that be dreamy?? Just do what you're supposed to and you're in! Its a fantasy, I know.

New Rankings:

1. Mississippi State

2. Oregon

3. Florida State

4. TCU

5. Alabama

6. Arizona State

7. Baylor

8. Ohio State

9. Auburn

10. Ole Miss

11. UCLA

12. Michigan State

13. Kansas State

14. Arizona

15. Georgia

16. Nebraska

17. LSU

18. Notre Dame

18. Clemson

20. Wisconsin

21. Duke

22. Georgia Tech

23. Utah

24. Texas A&M

25. Minnesota

Are we the first team to fall in these polls after a bye?

Joke.