***** What did we learn - Boilermaker Edition *****

Bo is not Tom. Can we stop this, please? I am so sick of Bo Pelini being compared to Tom Osborne. It is so unfair to Bo and so disrespectful to Tom. If you really believe that Bo Pelini is at the same level as Tom Osborne I think you might want to call your therapist, as I am sure you have to have one. That is lunacy. Any of you claiming this, I would like to ask you something.

Have you ever really thought about what you are saying? I mean legitimately sat and pondered what you were defending here. That Pelini=Osborne? That is so beyond the rationale of a reasonable person I don't know what to tell you. It is a fallacy and a straw man argument used to defend those that are calling for Bo's head. Stop using the Bo has it harder than TO argument, it makes you sound dumb.

Conversely, why does Bo have to be Tom for us to get behind him? Why can't we just root for this team to win without calling for coach's heads in the middle of one of, if not the, best seasons we have had in a decade? What is so damn wrong with waiting for the end of the year to come before we are wishing for replacements at key coaching positions?

It is so exhausting in this damn Fox News/MSNBC era we live in to have a conversation with anyone. You can have an opinion in the middle, you don't have to jump to one of two sides. Level headed people are needed here, and you don't have to be the HuskerBoard "voice of reason" all the damn time. Especially when you often come across as pig headed and on a mission to prove your agenda is the one and only correct way of thinking. That type of Marxist vendetta is, quite frankly, frightening.

Furthermore, a Heisman finalist that accounts for the majority of our gameplan went down in the 1st quarter of a 25 mph gale force day. We still won by 21. Ya, we didn't look great. Who did yesterday? I sometimes long for the days when the only coverage was local and you had to listen to the game on the radio if it wasn't Oklahoma or Colorado. We had a lot less so called "experts" and a lot more support for the team.

And I am only 32 years old.......

I'm not sure if you are calling out the collective or a single person using the word "you". Are you pointing a finger at one? some? or all?

I think it is referring to everyone in general, not just one person.

I agree with what he said though. It took Osborne 25 years to become the legend he is and Bo shouldn't be compared to him...yet anyways. I do wish the fans would get behind the coach and cheer no matter what and let the cards fall where they may.

NU won the Big 8 32 times out of 75 outright.

OU won it 26 times out of 75 outright.

That leaves 17 times that another team besides OU and NU won it outright since the conference started in 1907. I think that shows how easy we had it in the Big 8.

Or how good OU and NU were....

Or not considering all time program wins by the rest of those schools.

I think the willingness to disparage the work of some college legends in order to prop up the current coach and hide his shortcomings is perhaps the most depressing part of all of this.

He didn't do that what so ever. You are real good at dodging things when they start to not favor your argument.

I agree that NU and OU were that great, but was it because everyone else was sh#t?

Bo is not Tom. Can we stop this, please? I am so sick of Bo Pelini being compared to Tom Osborne. It is so unfair to Bo and so disrespectful to Tom. If you really believe that Bo Pelini is at the same level as Tom Osborne I think you might want to call your therapist, as I am sure you have to have one. That is lunacy. Any of you claiming this, I would like to ask you something.

Have you ever really thought about what you are saying? I mean legitimately sat and pondered what you were defending here. That Pelini=Osborne? That is so beyond the rationale of a reasonable person I don't know what to tell you. It is a fallacy and a straw man argument used to defend those that are calling for Bo's head. Stop using the Bo has it harder than TO argument, it makes you sound dumb.

Conversely, why does Bo have to be Tom for us to get behind him? Why can't we just root for this team to win without calling for coach's heads in the middle of one of, if not the, best seasons we have had in a decade? What is so damn wrong with waiting for the end of the year to come before we are wishing for replacements at key coaching positions?

It is so exhausting in this damn Fox News/MSNBC era we live in to have a conversation with anyone. You can have an opinion in the middle, you don't have to jump to one of two sides. Level headed people are needed here, and you don't have to be the HuskerBoard "voice of reason" all the damn time. Especially when you often come across as pig headed and on a mission to prove your agenda is the one and only correct way of thinking. That type of Marxist vendetta is, quite frankly, frightening.

Furthermore, a Heisman finalist that accounts for the majority of our gameplan went down in the 1st quarter of a 25 mph gale force day. We still won by 21. Ya, we didn't look great. Who did yesterday? I sometimes long for the days when the only coverage was local and you had to listen to the game on the radio if it wasn't Oklahoma or Colorado. We had a lot less so called "experts" and a lot more support for the team.

I'm not sure if you are calling out the collective or a single person using the word "you". Are you pointing a finger at one? some? or all?

I agree with what he said though. It took Osborne 25 years to become the legend he is and Bo shouldn't be compared to him...yet anyways. I do wish the fans would get behind the coach and cheer no matter what and let the cards fall where they may.

This is what I meant. Not one single person, just the overall direction this board is going. It is like CNN around here in every thread. Get a Bo-liever (D) and a Bo-leaver ® on screen and watch them argue. It is exhausting, and really not something I want to listen to.

This is what I meant. Not one single person, just the overall direction this board is going. It is like CNN around here in every thread. Get a Bo-liever (D) and a Bo-leaver ® on screen and watch them argue. It is exhausting, and really not something I want to listen to.

I agree with you. It gets tiresome

I agree with you. It gets tiresome
I disagree with you guys. It does not get tiresome. And here's why:

Troll_Face.png

NU won the Big 8 32 times out of 75 outright.

OU won it 26 times out of 75 outright.

That leaves 17 times that another team besides OU and NU won it outright since the conference started in 1907. I think that shows how easy we had it in the Big 8.

Or how good OU and NU were....

Or not considering all time program wins by the rest of those schools.

I think the willingness to disparage the work of some college legends in order to prop up the current coach and hide his shortcomings is perhaps the most depressing part of all of this.

He didn't do that what so ever. You are real good at dodging things when they start to not favor your argument.

I agree that NU and OU were that great, but was it because everyone else was sh#t?

No.

I am jealous that you have Huskerboard on audio.

I am jealous that you have Huskerboard on audio.

MacBook. It will read everything to me!! lol :D

• Fire 2

I didn't get to watch the entire game so I know I missed some stuff.

But from the bit I saw. I've been a Beck supporter all along, and still am, but there are some definite problems.

We obviously can't seem to make the option routes work, whether thats on the QB or the receivers I don't know. But they lead to lots of problems.

Lets put them on the back burner for now.

I've wondered all season if TA might have better luck finding a second receiver if he started under center. That way he can be looking at the defense while he drops back. I know it doesn't seem like much, but when you're in the shotgun, waiting for the ball (and hopefully watching it all the way in) delays reading the defense just a bit. And right now, it seems like any little thing to help TA could be big.

I also agree that he doesn't seem to change his play calling depending on who is in the game. Especially at running back. Like many have said, Imani should be between the tackles. But I guess if you do that all the time it pretty much tells the defense a lot.

I'm not one to bitch too much about his playcalling. Because for the most part, if a play works then it was a great call and everyone is happy, but if it doesn't, then the complete opposite. But he does seem to get a bit oblivious of the situation at times.

I don't know. I've thought all year that Ameer makes our OL look a lot better than they are, he makes a lot of yardage when there really isn't anything there. I don't know that our other backs can make that happen. I also worry that a missed FG is going to haunt us this year.

I think losing Enunwa hurt more than people realize. Westerkamp is a slot guy with a lot of trouble running the correct route, although he's a big upgrade from Turner. Peirson-El seems like a slot guy who only knows enough of the offense to play a few snaps per game. Kenny is a deep threat guy. We don't really have that go-to possession receiver anymore. I was hoping Burtch could step up and be that guy, but injury ruined his chances.

I'm a little late to this party but here is what I learned.

Tommy Armstrong is as athletic and talented as they come. But he hasn't improved like I thought he had. Sure his passes are pretty, and his running ability has improved. But the mistakes are glaringly bad. The picks are awful. I don't care if a receiver missed his route. There are more than one receiver out there at a time, pick one that's open and not covered by three different guys. He opened the game with a passing TD. Frankly it was more because of the tremendous catch than it was the pass. He also had a running score. Well yeah, I probably could have rushed that one in too seeing as the blocking on that play was pretty much stellar. Can't take anything away from him stat wise but here is the deal; he needs to step up in a big way in Madison. The season is going to come down to the last three games. It is going to be beyond important for him to make wiser decisions. I'm not even going to bother bringing up the bobbled snaps.

Okay, yes I will. What the fig newton is going on here? I don't understand this at all. Why is this an issue after 9 games? Fix it. Fix it now and never look back.

Our defense is absolutely lights out when everything falls into place. We still have our moments and lack a constant killer instinct. But man, all the mistakes we made on offense and blown drives, that game could have easily swung in the Boilermakers favor. Purdue wasn't able to capitalize on our turnovers or incapability of scoring when facing tremendous field position. Kudos Blackshirts, you played very well.

Drew Brown, focus please. We are clearly going to need you at some point. Be ready.

8-1 on the year and NOBODY has a clue what kind of team we have. We have played one ranked team and lost by 5 in their house. I have no clue what to expect in the next three games. Honestly 3-0, 2-1, 1-2, or 0-3 are all very real possibilities. A Second BYE couldn't have come at a better time. PLEASE for the love of Devaney, fix the mistakes. This team is capable of so much better. We have a chance at something special this year. But playing with the lack of focus and execution we did against Purdue will easily result in us losing game this year. The stats from this most recent win wouldn't have been acceptable against Sparty, definitely not acceptable against Purdue.

Win out, there is no other option.

• Fire 1

I think losing Enunwa hurt more than people realize. Westerkamp is a slot guy with a lot of trouble running the correct route, although he's a big upgrade from Turner. Peirson-El seems like a slot guy who only knows enough of the offense to play a few snaps per game. Kenny is a deep threat guy. We don't really have that go-to possession receiver anymore. I was hoping Burtch could step up and be that guy, but injury ruined his chances.

I really doubt Westerkamp is not running the correct routes. Not making the same adjustment that Tommy is seeing is more accurate but I liked Westy's choices better than TA's on both occasions Saturday. The first one was basically a coin flip. The second one Westerkamp was correct.

Until Imani Cross understands his role and starts playing like the type of back god built him to be, we're gonna continue to have this issue. I stole this from Benning who had a real nice commentary the other day that Imani seems to be trying too hard to be something he isnt and needs to understand that there's a role in this offense for him just the way he was made to be. Benning went on to explain how he went through the same thing as a sophmore, gaining weight to be more like Lawrence, Childs, and so on until he realized he had a role as well just the way he was.

Same with with Beck. Call plays for the type of guys you have.

Agree about Imani, embrace being the thumper and make folks pay for trying to tackle you in the open field. get low and behind your pads. It would also help if beck realized that his RB's are not interchangeable and called plays to their specific skill set.

This is my main gripe with Beck. When Martinez was hurt/relieved, Beck would call zone reads with Green and Lee and I was dumbfounded by it. Jamming square pegs into round holes. Put your players in the best possible position to succeed! This means calling plays that fit the skillsets of your players.

Beck continues to ignore the obvious. We have a great athlete playing QB who is incapable of making throws that Beck's system needs to work.

Beck no longer dumbfounds me. He simply has no idea how to call a game. year 4 and the same crap......Se Ya

TA is not the issue. Being put in those positions i.e. play calling is the issue.

D played lights out. I can only imagine how we would be without all the injuries so we could develop guys for next year.

ST is doing much better.

Still make mind numbing mistakes again and again and again. The only sure thing of this team.

Zaire and Gerry are beast's on D. Need another LB to step up and soon. The remaining teams on our schedule will exploit the fact no LB can cover a TE or RB across the field save Zaire and he can't cover 2 guys....

If AA's not 100%, forget about it. Beck can't call a complete game using 2 backs and jumbo sets....

TA needs to be told to tuck and run.

What was up with Ganz's hair?

Bo had great halftime and end game interviews.

I agree with a few of your points for example;

-Tommy needs to be put into positions to succeed as a quarterback. There was the true option called that the defense was sure was going to be pitched but was kept byTommy and he took it to the house. What happened to him running the ball? Through the first few games he was averaging something like 80 yards a game. I understand that it was against lesser opponents, but why not establish the run game a little bit, open it up with some play action throws that he can make and then throw in some QB draws, keeper options, just mixing it up on a drive or two? If that doesn't work go back to the bread and butter.

I, for one have been pretty pleased with the offensive production and at times not the play calling. I think that starting with the Northwestern game we've started to open up the playbook a bit, reverse pass, and it is doing both good and bad. If we run the new plays or trick plays to perfection they work and the team gets results, but if we don't we seem to be in a brown colored creek without a paddle. I think this two weeks will help alleviate some of the confusion, stupid mistakes that have been taking place and our overall execution will be better.

I am not a scout, coach or qualified in any way to critique coaches or players except from my view as a fan, which I usually try to keep modest. I do think Beck needs to minimize the playbook and stick with what is working. But I also had my eyes opened a bit reading that article from last week. He can't simply call run play after run play without putting a few passes in there. I would say that the best game he has called all season was the Miami game where we attempted what 13 passes? But what some (and I mean some and mean nothing negative towards anyone by this) are forgetting is that the reason why the run game was so successful is was because of the success of the pass game, Tommy was 9/13 with two TD's, one of which was a perfectly placed bomb from Armstrong to Bell which was our first score of the game and set the tone for the running game the rest of the night.

I guess my biggest thing I learned from this week is that our O-line has ton of growing up to do these next 12 days before we face that Wisky d-line as it is fierce and will give even the best lines fits, especially if they come unprepared. I think the harsh reviews these last couple weeks is encouraging as he seems to identified many of the same problems that we as fans have also commented on. Also a few people calling for Tommy and I guess all I can say is be patient or get over it as thats all we've heard the last six years and even before that when there was no complaining our offense was horrendous and wouldn't hold a candle to this offense. Some fans just will never be happy as they're stuck in the glory days and expect us to compete for a national title year in and year out. I know it has been a long time since we;ve been in that convo, but I'm enjoying this season as should we all be.