Why Not Ryker Fife?

Man I feel bad for Armstrong if he has to hear too much of this bullsh#t. It can't be easy playing for this disaster we have as an OC. I hope he gets a chance to play for someone else before his career is over.

You can't have none of the blame on Armstrong either though. He has NOT shown he has the skill set needed to beat teams with a pulse. Both Purdue games we have won in spite of him. He's at about or just over a 50 percent passer. And can't make a second read to save his life so he relies on his first read being open and a "pretty" deep ball. Of course blame needs to go on beck for not playing to what he can do but when the guy can't really do much else other than run REALLY well and throw long, there's not much you can do to help him grow. If Bo wants him to start and Beck doesn't then this is all on Bo. Whatever the case, we're flawed from the top down systemically and nothing will change no matter who's at the offensive helm unless we get a philosophy change here.

Oh trust me, I've made it clear in other posts, I don't give Tommy a pass. That lob ball last night was ridiculous. He's having trouble with simple things. He can't seem to put touch on the ball to save his life. He's struggling for sure.

I just can't make sense of it. It seemed to me he was a better QB at the end of last season and the beginning of this one. Hes somehow managed to get worse? How does that happen, I don't know. I've had plenty of theories, but there's no clear answer to why a QB would regress instead of progress. Tommy's issues seem to be mostly mental though. I think he's physically capable of just about anything out there.

Like I said, I hope he gets a shot under some different coaching someday.

Seriously. Armstrong looks about as bad as any QB that we've ever had at NU. Fife has a much better arm. Bring the guy in. It couldn't get worse. Bo looks like Barney Fife sticking with Armstrong. Do you recall the MSU game? Armstrong was in the same funk. Fife comes in and - - presto - - TD. Give the guy a shot.

Well, we should at least bring Fyfe in anytime we recover a fumble on the other team's 2. He can hand off in the red zone like nobody's business. Presto.

Man I feel bad for Armstrong if he has to hear too much of this bullsh#t. It can't be easy playing for this disaster we have as an OC. I hope he gets a chance to play for someone else before his career is over.

You can't have none of the blame on Armstrong either though. He has NOT shown he has the skill set needed to beat teams with a pulse. Both Purdue games we have won in spite of him. He's at about or just over a 50 percent passer. And can't make a second read to save his life so he relies on his first read being open and a "pretty" deep ball. Of course blame needs to go on beck for not playing to what he can do but when the guy can't really do much else other than run REALLY well and throw long, there's not much you can do to help him grow. If Bo wants him to start and Beck doesn't then this is all on Bo. Whatever the case, we're flawed from the top down systemically and nothing will change no matter who's at the offensive helm unless we get a philosophy change here.
Oh trust me, I've made it clear in other posts, I don't give Tommy a pass. That lob ball last night was ridiculous. He's having trouble with simple things. He can't seem to put touch on the ball to save his life. He's struggling for sure.

I just can't make sense of it. It seemed to me he was a better QB at the end of last season and the beginning of this one. Hes somehow managed to get worse? How does that happen, I don't know. I've had plenty of theories, but there's no clear answer to why a QB would regress instead of progress. Tommy's issues seem to be mostly mental though. I think he's physically capable of just about anything out there.

Like I said, I hope he gets a shot under some different coaching someday.

But this is like the ultimate chicken and egg argument. I will tend to heap all of the blame on Beck. Even if TA is crapping the bed, in a way, isn't it fair to blame Beck for that? This is the guy Beck HANDPICKED to run his system. And now he can't make a progression past his initial read and looks shaky throwing THEM the ball.

This is HIS guy. I find it hard to believe a guy who had scholly offers from Miss St, Oregon, Missouri, TCU, and. UCLA is this horribly, inherently crippled as a passer unless they've just been WRECKED by their OC.

• Fire 1

Agreed. Beck is doing a bunch of dumb sh#t, but he's not the one throwing 5 yard screen passes into the dirt.

But he is the one with the horrific, inexplicable play calls. I swear he was calling plays to punishment Tommy yesterday.

• Fire 1

Agreed. Beck is doing a bunch of dumb sh#t, but he's not the one throwing 5 yard screen passes into the dirt.
But he is the one with the horrific, inexplicable play calls. I swear he was calling plays to punishment Tommy yesterday.
it's on both of them. Tommy needs to... well and division 1 starting qb needs to know how to consistently hit a pass in the flats as well as wr screens. Fades and deep outs and other tough routes of that nature that involve timing and precision are things that some guys can learn and some guys can get away with not having in college due to a coach playing to your strengths. But you have to be able to hit the easy ones. If your only good ball is the deep middle, you're not gonna win a game that matters because the corners don't have to press, they can stack the box and they can read run first and still have time to keep that deep middle under wraps.

You're right though that Beck should be playing to Tommy's strengths but in reality, what are they? The option run (he hasn't been great at it against decent opponents) and a pretty deep ball. There's not much you can do with that imo.

If you want to assign blame, it was all of them in this game. Didn't matter what the offense did the way the D was hemorrhaging. It all needs to be fixed though. I'm thinking you want a QB who can throw a pass and be better than 1-10.

yeah I think wiscy blitzed every play. we finally se a hb screen (didn't know we had one in the playbook?) goes for big yards. Don't recall seeing another screen.

• Fire 2

True, but he's not the one out there throwing rainbows down the field over and over like he's playing 500 during recess...

I like Armstrong's attitude and leadership qualities. He says the right things and seems to have poise and the respect of his teammates. His biggest flaws are his inaccuracy and inability to work through his progressions.

That said, the pass protection does not make things very easy on him. Our O-line and Abdullah really struggled to give him time to throw.

I watched TA closely, and I never saw him look for the 2nd receiver against wisky

True, but he's not the one out there throwing rainbows down the field over and over like he's playing 500 during recess...

Agreed.

This is my take on Tommy, and WOW do I feel terrible saying this...but he doesn't have the pedigree to be the starting QB of a team that strives for top 10 football. He's just not good enough. He doesn't match the average level of talent of the rest of our skill position players (like Abdullah, Westerkamp, Bell, etc.).

He's in the same league as Cody Green and Martinez in my not-so-humble opinion. Someone will chime in and claim that completion percentage doesn't mean much in the college game...but seriously, he does not have the accuracy. He just doesn't.

I will say though that he's got to be the best possible option. So the insinuation in the OP of trying Fyfe is just not happening. At all.

But that actually makes me feel WORSE about the situation.

His zone read game = pretty good. But when a good defense stacks the box, he just doesn't cut it.

I like Armstrong's attitude and leadership qualities. He says the right things and seems to have poise and the respect of his teammates. His biggest flaws are his inaccuracy and inability to work through his progressions.

That said, the pass protection does not make things very easy on him. Our O-line and Abdullah really struggled to give him time to throw.

I watched TA closely, and I never saw him look for the 2nd receiver against wisky

How could he they were all 30 to 40 yards down field.

Agreed.

This is my take on Tommy, and WOW do I feel terrible saying this...but he doesn't have the pedigree to be the starting QB of a team that strives for top 10 football. He's just not good enough. He doesn't match the average level of talent of the rest of our skill position players (like Abdullah, Westerkamp, Bell, etc.).

He's in the same league as Cody Green and Martinez in my not-so-humble opinion. Someone will chime in and claim that completion percentage doesn't mean much in the college game...but seriously, he does not have the accuracy. He just doesn't.

im with you. He seems like a good kid and good leader but he just isnt viable at the level he is at. I thought he would get better but he hasnt so far. You cant be a one read qb at this level you just cant. you cant have just your fastball and no touch. You are going to play a lot of cold weather games in this conference and you have to help the wr with body throws and some touch. He just isnt giving them a chance. Hes got to get better or he is going to lose that huddle and then he is done.

Agreed.

Martinez is much better that TA
  • Fire 1