Mike Riley's Staff

At this point, I'm pretty much used to non-splash hires, so bring on the rest of the Oregon State staff! I'm sure 5-7 in Corvallis = B1G Championship in Lincoln. Exactly ZERO things have gone the way we have wanted them too, and even the ones defending this guy are really grasping at straws/forcing it. 'Just give him a chance, guys.' Really? That's where we're at?

In my mind this is absolutely as much of a gamble, if not more so, than getting a Frost/Cutcliffe/Herman/Johnson/Pick A Name.

Not a Pelini guy, either. Just calling a spade a spade. Should have thrown as much money as it took at Tressel, and our school, brand, excitement - would have skyrocketed. But no. We get Mr. Rogers AND his ragtag gang.

Not sold on him at all, but I hope he's the guy. Prove me wrong, Riley. Rub it in my face, rest of the board, and I'll eat that crow with a smile. But until then, I'll be a hopeful, but Doubting Thomas.

I love that line!

Seriously, the people that are trying to convince themselves that 5-7 in the Pac 12 is a Big 10 championship are insane...Remember when we all thought NU would dominate the Big 10 from the second we walked in?

Also, can we please stop pretending that Mike Riley had posters from Huskerboard as his starting 22...

• Fire 1

At this point, I'm pretty much used to non-splash hires, so bring on the rest of the Oregon State staff! I'm sure 5-7 in Corvallis = B1G Championship in Lincoln. Exactly ZERO things have gone the way we have wanted them too, and even the ones defending this guy are really grasping at straws/forcing it. 'Just give him a chance, guys.' Really? That's where we're at?

In my mind this is absolutely as much of a gamble, if not more so, than getting a Frost/Cutcliffe/Herman/Johnson/Pick A Name.

Not a Pelini guy, either. Just calling a spade a spade. Should have thrown as much money as it took at Tressel, and our school, brand, excitement - would have skyrocketed. But no. We get Mr. Rogers AND his ragtag gang.

Not sold on him at all, but I hope he's the guy. Prove me wrong, Riley. Rub it in my face, rest of the board, and I'll eat that crow with a smile. But until then, I'll be a hopeful, but Doubting Thomas.

I love that line!

Seriously, the people that are trying to convince themselves that 5-7 in the Pac 12 is a Big 10 championship are insane...Remember when we all thought NU would dominate the Big 10 from the second we walked in?

Also, can we please stop pretending that Mike Riley had posters from Huskerboard as his starting 22...

Riley looks very much like a middle of the pack coach......14 years at Oregon State? where is this guys ambition?

• Fire 1

You guys are a bunch of jackals. Stop pretending to know who is the best fit for this staff and let the coach do his job.

Well...there you have it! Lets shut down the message board!

Remember...we are the "nice" team now! ha

Just messing with you man! I know what you mean but lets face it, its all people are going to talk about until signing day...then we will talk about that until the spring game...then we will talk about that.

You guys are a bunch of jackals. Stop pretending to know who is the best fit for this staff and let the coach do his job.

Just messing with you man! I know what you mean but lets face it, its all people are going to talk about until signing day...then we will talk about that until the spring game...then we will talk about that.

we better not have to talk about blow outs next season, that's all i have to say about that!!

• Fire 1

we better not have to talk about blow outs next season, that's all i have to say about that!!

Well if the B1G Championship is any indication of what we will see vs Ohio State this year......

Other than Banker this appears to be the coaches posters were asking for.

He will be facing different types of offenses in the B1G. I am personally willing to reserve judgment until after year 1.
I agree 100%. Whoever he brings over has more experience than what we had before.
Experienced doesn't equal quality.

I'd prefer quality.

Anything is quality compared to 408 yds rushing

5~7 and 3~9 disagree.

That 5-7 team beat #6 Arizona State three weeks ago. When was the last time any coach at NU beat an opponent ranked that high?

So, now it's ok to have a losing season as long as we beat a top 10 team? Is that championship football?

Talk about grasping for straws, holy moly.

Anyhow, OSUs radio color guy was just on S&B, said that the WR &LB coaches are solid. Said that the ST coach sucks and is a bad recruiter. Said Banker isn't too great, said that the OL coach wasn't very good, and probably isn't a good recruiter, either.

Les Miles at OSU the year before he was hired to LSU = 7-5 Over all record was 28-21 (that's a 57% winning percentage)

Nick Saban at MSU two years before he was hired to LSU - 6-6 Over all record 36-26 (that's a 58% winning percentage)

Nick Saban at Miami in the NFL 15-17 overall before he was hired to Alabama.

Pete Carrol at New England was 27 -21 over all before being hired at USC. 8-8 his last year.

Mack Brown had a 60% winning record at North Carolina before he was hired at Texas. He did have two good years before he left but it took him 8 years to get there. Before those two years, his winning percentage was a dominating 53%.

Gene Chizik was 5 - 19 at ISU before he was hired at Auburn and won an NC two years later.

Keep an open mind on this. Coaching at a place like OSU is COMPLETELY different than at Nebraska.

• Fire 9

^ - agree, and you'll find a list just as long of 11-12 win coaches that flopped at their next school. McElwain was a larger risk by a mile IMO. everyone needs to let this one play out. to be honest with you, it isn't his record that worries me but his pro-style tilt. if anything should concern people it's that and the fact we may lack the talent to operate it. i think he'll adjust well, but I don't want another 4 year project to transition an O into something new.

• Fire 1

Figired I'd lay it out here:

OC:

RB:

WR: Brent Brennan

OL: Matt Cavanaugh

DC: Mark Banker

DL:

LB: Mike Bray

DB:

ST: Bruce Read

S&C:

With no OC mentioned yet I have a feeling that Danny Langsdorf might be the guy as it looks like Coughlin era will be over with the NY Giants. That announcement will probably have to wait until the NFL season is over.

^ - agree, and you'll find a list just as long of 11-12 win coaches that flopped at their next school. McElwain is was a larger risk by a mile IMO. everyone needs to let this one play out. to be honest with you, it isn't his record that worries me but his pro-style tilt. if anything should concern people it's that and the fact we may lack the talent to operate it. i think he'll adjust well, but I don't want another 4 year project to transition an O into something new.

so much for the spread......this should be a helluva change! but with Beck running it we were neurotic at best!