The Tangent Thread, Dec 2014 Edition

zoogs

you should learn to read the WHOLE post...

According to a FootballScoop.com story, only 29 percent of college and high school coaches trust Rivals.com, and they are the first to tell you they don't pay attention to rankings or stars. Fans, on the other hand, may know more about their team's recruiting class than the athletic director.

If you google 'why recruiting standings are stupid', you'll find thousands of people that agree with us.

• Fire 1

SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID

38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38

edit: not solid

• Fire 1

SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID ​SOLID

38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38

If you're attemping to say "holy crap, learn how to use one post for what you want to say instead of replying to yourself," then I agree.

how so...I understand the math, do you consider 38th to be a solid recruiting class?

I understand our recruiting class to be a solid recruiting class.

The number 38 means very little to me, because it is representative of an imperfect metric that doesn't accurately assess the quality of our class as it pertains to our program.

Get over it man. If you don't like the class, don't like it for an actual reason other than an arbitrary number that lacks context.

This is the same class that was ranked as high as 7th early on in the season. It hasn't dropped because other teams have all the sudden got way better players - it's dropped because other teams have all the sudden got way MORE players. Recruiting rankings highly favor quantity.

I don't know how to make it any more simple for you than it has already been made. If you look at average star rating, which is a better indicator at least of the quality of players overall, we are second in the conference and 21st nationally.

unfortunately, YOU are the only one that looks at it that way....like I said, maybe YOU and a few others should rank the classes because rivals, SI and ESPN ALL have this class listed as sub-par....but then again, what would they know...right???
No he's not.

You are that only one looking at it from the way you are spinning the argument.

It was shaping up to be a solid class. The new guy needs to get off his duff and hold it together

ya, me and the rest of the nation...you guys just keep drinking the pelini kool-aid...catch up to the rest of us when your finished..k!!!
Proof that the rest of the nation sees it that way?
oh, I don't know...maybe a NATIONAL RANKING SYSTEM.......
I realize that average stars per player is a concept that you're not familiar with. You're also making it obvious that you don't understand that sheer numbers of recruits affects they overall class ranking.

When you learn these concepts, those of us that understand them will be happy to discuss it with you further.

I've given up on the people replying this way having an understanding of basic math.

odd...basic math makes up the ranking system, yet we are STILL 38th.... NOT SOLID
excuse me guys but if you want to talk recruiting I'm pretty sure there's a place on this board for that kind of talk. This thread however is suppose to be about the new coaching staff. So if you could please take this useless arguing somewhere else or get back on topic I would greatly appreciate it.
  • Fire 1

how so...I understand the math, do you consider 38th to be a solid recruiting class?

The number 38 means very little to me, because it is representative of an imperfect metric that doesn't accurately assess the quality of our class as it pertains to our program.

Get over it man. If you don't like the class, don't like it for an actual reason other than an arbitrary number that lacks context.

This is the same class that was ranked as high as 7th early on in the season. It hasn't dropped because other teams have all the sudden got way better players - it's dropped because other teams have all the sudden got way MORE players. Recruiting rankings highly favor quantity.

I don't know how to make it any more simple for you than it has already been made. If you look at average star rating, which is a better indicator at least of the quality of players overall, we are second in the conference and 21st nationally.

unfortunately, YOU are the only one that looks at it that way....like I said, maybe YOU and a few others should rank the classes because rivals, SI and ESPN ALL have this class listed as sub-par....but then again, what would they know...right???
No he's not.

It was shaping up to be a solid class. The new guy needs to get off his duff and hold it together

ya, me and the rest of the nation...you guys just keep drinking the pelini kool-aid...catch up to the rest of us when your finished..k!!!
I realize that average stars per player is a concept that you're not familiar with. You're also making it obvious that you don't understand that sheer numbers of recruits affects they overall class ranking.

When you learn these concepts, those of us that understand them will be happy to discuss it with you further.

I've given up on the people replying this way having an understanding of basic math.

odd...basic math makes up the ranking system, yet we are STILL 38th.... NOT SOLID
excuse me guys but if you want to talk recruiting I'm pretty sure there's a place on this board for that kind of talk. This thread however is suppose to be about the new coaching staff. So if you could please take this useless arguing somewhere else or get back on topic I would greatly appreciate it.
And don't forget those TPS reports.
  • Fire 2

Is this redrunred guy serious or just trolling?

Do you not understand that national ranking systems are more about QUANTITY over QUALITY? I really don't know what is so hard to understand about that unless you have the mental capacity of a squirrel.

In easier words for you to understand, a class of 20 is going to ranked higher than a class of 11, even if that class of 20 is just a bunch of three star guys and the class of 11 is mostly four stars. If Nebraska filled the rest of their class with ** guys, they'd still move up the ranking a little bit because theyd have more overall points. Would that be a good recruiting class? No, because the quality is poor. But itd make redrunred happier because the national ranking will be a little better. Say what you want, the quality of the players we have in this class is solid. Not great, but solid. Get educated on recruiting before sprouting your nonsense...

No he's not.

your probably that guy that doesn't believe that we have not rank in the top 10 NATIONALY as well...."the ranking system is skewed".....LOL :koolaid2:

Reading this thread on mobile has become nearly impossible with everyone quoting everyone

If you google 'why recruiting standings are stupid', you'll find thousands of people that agree with us.

Conversely, there's a lot of information out there that proves recruiting rankings do matter. The narrower you try to make your view of recruiting rankings, the less valuable those rankings become. In the overall scope of things, however, they're still (overwhelmingly) the best way to judge initial talent and expectations.

This article is worth the read. http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2014/2/5/5382140/recruiting-matters-why-the-sites-get-the-rankings-right

Overall, teams with the highest average recruiting rankings win significantly more games than teams with the lowest average recruiting rankings, and it's not even close.

The point, however, is this - rankings do matter, and rankings don't matter. You still have to have good coaching to make the most of what you've got. Urban Meyer can win 12 games at Ohio State a year, but it's also likely he'd have good years at a place like Oregon State and have 7-or-8 win seasons another year.

The only way this hire makes any sense is if there is a super staff surrounding him. If its just a so-so staff, with a so-so coach, our on the field product will be so-so. Im very nervous.

I wonder what coach we would've been OK with a so-so staff?

My concern is Riley's ability to put together a good staff. I dont think anyone would doubt someone like Tressel or other PROVEN commodities would have enough pull to bring in a solid staff. My major concern is Riley's ability.

The last person we want is Tressel with his NCAA violations

After a losing season or two, you'll change your tune.

• Fire 1

Other than Banker this appears to be the coaches posters were asking for.

He will be facing different types of offenses in the B1G. I am personally willing to reserve judgment until after year 1.
I agree 100%. Whoever he brings over has more experience than what we had before.
Experienced doesn't equal quality.

I'd prefer quality.

Anything is quality compared to 408 yds rushing

5~7 and 3~9 disagree.

He will be facing different types of offenses in the B1G. I am personally willing to reserve judgment until after year 1.
I agree 100%. Whoever he brings over has more experience than what we had before.

I'd prefer quality.

5~7 and 3~9 disagree.

That 5-7 team beat #6 Arizona State three weeks ago. When was the last time any coach at NU beat an opponent ranked that high?

• Fire 1

I'd prefer quality.

5~7 and 3~9 disagree.

Compare the talent levels. Nebraska got its wins because it outtalented teams. Oregon State got its wins because it outcoached teams.

Now, what happens when you put great talent and great coaching together?

• Fire 1