The Tangent Thread, Dec 2014 Edition

zoogs

Other than Banker this appears to be the coaches posters were asking for.

He will be facing different types of offenses in the B1G. I am personally willing to reserve judgment until after year 1.
I agree 100%. Whoever he brings over has more experience than what we had before.
Experienced doesn't equal quality.

I'd prefer quality.

Anything is quality compared to 408 yds rushing

5~7 and 3~9 disagree.

That 5-7 team beat #6 Arizona State three weeks ago. When was the last time any coach at NU beat an opponent ranked that high?

Missouri in 2010

5~7 and 3~9 disagree.

That 5-7 team beat #6 Arizona State three weeks ago. When was the last time any coach at NU beat an opponent ranked that high?

Missouri in 2010

2010 Missouri was ranked #7. The last time was in 2001 when Solich's team beat #2 Oklahoma, thirteen years ago.

He will be facing different types of offenses in the B1G. I am personally willing to reserve judgment until after year 1.
I agree 100%. Whoever he brings over has more experience than what we had before.

I'd prefer quality.

5~7 and 3~9 disagree.

Compare the talent levels. Nebraska got its wins because it outtalented teams. Oregon State got its wins because it outcoached teams.

Now, what happens when you put great talent and great coaching together?

Were the talent levels that different? What had each team usually been ranked on Rivals? I have no idea at all, that is why I ask.

I'd prefer quality.

5~7 and 3~9 disagree.

Compare the talent levels. Nebraska got its wins because it outtalented teams. Oregon State got its wins because it outcoached teams.

Were the talent levels that different? What had each team usually been ranked on Rivals? I have no idea at all, that is why I ask.

On Rivals since 2011:

NU: 15, 25, 17, 32, 31

OSU: 56, 39, 39, 54, 58

We have had considerably better classes then Oregon State. I would say our talent level is better but their coaching was better.

• Fire 2

I'd prefer quality.

5~7 and 3~9 disagree.

Ooooh. I hope they carry the momentum from that big win into their bowl game....oh....wait.... 5-7

I'd prefer quality.

5~7 and 3~9 disagree.

Ooooh. I hope they carry the momentum from that big win into their bowl game....oh....wait.... 5-7

Nebraska (4 year recruiting average)

2009 - 29.5

2010 - 23.3

2011 - 23.8

2012 - 22.5

2013 - 19.8

2014 - 22.3

5 year average - 22.3

Oregon St

2009 - 48.5

2010 - 49.3

2011 - 51.5

2012 - 48.3

2013 - 44.5

2014 - 47.0
5 year average - 48.1

Thanks! That is a pretty big gap, no doubt.

But I think we also realize that NU needs more than even top 25 classes...they really need around 15 or better.

I'd argue it's very difficult to recruit to a program that is definitely lacking in regional talent and now has the reputation of being an also-ran good team that gets blown out any time they play anyone that's a legitimate top 25 team.

It's a bit of a chicken or egg problem... What comes first, on field success or top recruiting classes?

This year, a top 25 class would be good by me. Recruiting rankings tend to be misleading anyway as they give too much weight to schools with large classes. We've got a small senior class this year, IIRC, so we're a bit hamstrung. I prefer to look at rankings sorted by avg stars per player.

I'd prefer quality.

5~7 and 3~9 disagree.

So, now it's ok to have a losing season as long as we beat a top 10 team? Is that championship football?

Talk about grasping for straws, holy moly.

Anyhow, OSUs radio color guy was just on S&B, said that the WR &LB coaches are solid. Said that the ST coach sucks and is a bad recruiter. Said Banker isn't too great, said that the OL coach wasn't very good, and probably isn't a good recruiter, either.

I'd prefer quality.

5~7 and 3~9 disagree.

So, now it's ok to have a losing season as long as we beat a top 10 team? Is that championship football?

Anyhow, OSUs radio color guy was just on S&B, said that the WR &LB coaches are solid. Said that the ST coach sucks and is a bad recruiter. Said Banker isn't too great, said that the OL coach wasn't very good, and probably isn't a good recruiter, either.

We should keep the guy that coached the special teams this year...

I'd prefer quality.

5~7 and 3~9 disagree.

Barney?

I'd prefer quality.

5~7 and 3~9 disagree.

agreed, but would replace "great talent" with "good talent". Watching tOSU the other night, they have "great talent" all over the place. They look the part of a top caliber team (not that that always results in W's), but physically, they look a good bit more talented than the Huskers with the eyeball test IMO

I'd prefer quality.

5~7 and 3~9 disagree.

No one said it's okay to go 5-7 at Nebraska.

Grasping at straws, indeed.

• Fire 2

I'd prefer quality.

5~7 and 3~9 disagree.

No one said it's okay to go 5-7 at Nebraska.

Grasping at straws, indeed.

I must be confused. Why is it that when his record at OSU is brought up, someone has to counter with the 3 top 10, or top 5 teams that he's beat?

It certainly seems that people are ok with losing as long as we beat a top 10 team every now and then.