Gary Anderson leaves Wisconsin to replace Mike Riley at Oregon State

knapplc

I have to echo everyone else's thoughts - this is crazy. To take a significantly worse job at OSU, even with the possibility of a big facilities upgrade at OSU, is astonishing. Bielema to Arkansas I understood better than this one. There must be some serious administration problems for Andersen to up and leave. If he thought Wisconsin was a place he could work at, reach his goals and be happy at, he'd be there. Plain and simple.

Interesting thing about the potential of hiring Chryst. His brother Geep is a long time NFL assistant (now at San Fran), Geep's kid was the #1 rated pocket passer in the country in '13 - he's now redshirting at Stanford. They have very strong ties to Madison and UW but I think Barry tends to drift to a DC turned head coach type candidate. Either way, that would be a huge get to have Paul, Geep and Keller Chryst in a package deal. The offense would be stacked but I'm not sure where they would go for a DC.

I have to echo everyone else's thoughts - this is crazy. To take a significantly worse job at OSU, even with the possibility of a big facilities upgrade at OSU, is astonishing. Bielema to Arkansas I understood better than this one. There must be some serious administration problems for Andersen to up and leave. If he thought Wisconsin was a place he could work at, reach his goals and be happy at, he'd be there. Plain and simple.

My uncle was a professor at Madison for a few years...loved it.

Corvallis is a sleepy old thyme town...I wouldn't want to live there...but Riley liked it and Anderson is a WC guy...maybe he wants that...maybe he wants to coach in the Pac-12 and leave snow behind? Right now the Pac is the better conference by a good margin over the Big10.

I don't know...but something feels like the Wisky administration rubbed him the wrong way or pissed him off.

Steven M. Sipple retweeted

Andersen wasn't shy about admitting that, during interviews w/Alvarez, the main tenets of the program were dictated to him.

That probably makes the most sense......

Maybe Barry sticks his nose in too deeply.....?

I know it was Barry that was essentially the cause of Biliema leaving, but not that reason. I like Barry, he's an old husker, but it is his fault Biliema felt the need to bolt. He was too tight with money for the program/assistants and he helped Chryst get the Pitt job, which cost Biliema both Chryst and Rudolph.

Arkie offered Brett the ability to hire assistants with major college experience and top of the line facilities. Yes of course Wiscy had had more success than Arkie but the hogs were willing to go all-out and that's tempting for a guy that feels like he's butting his head against a glass ceiling.

Whether Barry is overbearing and that had to with Anderson leaving I don't know.

Some of the thread titles on BadgerNation:

"The AD MUST call the recruits and save this class"

"Alone in the wilderness"

"The irony is, Mike Riley would have taken the UW job 2 yrs ago"

"What's with the animosity toward GA?"

"Silver Lining to GA leaving?"

"How about Bill Callahan" (LOL. I sh#t you not. This is an actual thread on BuckyNation. LINK)

"Mods - Please remove GA's photo from board"

"Andersen was a lying scumbag BS artist from the day he arrived"

"Sick. That's all I feel right now"

"ESPN: Why are coaches leaving Wisconsin?"

I feel sort of sorry for the Badger fans. Well, not really. :lol:

• Fire 1

Alvarez coaching the bowl game makes a lot more sense than most any other AD. Former coach, proven success, knows the program.

It'd be really weird if Eichorst tried this, or any other AD with an administration background. But a coach-turned-AD? Not that odd.

i think the first time it was neat, but now the second time maybe it seems like he has his hands too much on the program? idk.

Alvarez coaching the bowl game makes a lot more sense than most any other AD. Former coach, proven success, knows the program.

It'd be really weird if Eichorst tried this, or any other AD with an administration background. But a coach-turned-AD? Not that odd.

i think the first time it was neat, but now the second time maybe it seems like he has his hands too much on the program? idk.

The seniors asked him to coach. I see nothing wrong with it.