Dobson to Vandy

Warrior10

Just repeating what Foreman said in his podcast. It drove him crazy all the times that backs and receivers would tap out after a long run. He said, "I don't think they [the players] really understood how hard you have to work." or words to that effect.

Yet a lot of the time it was Abdullah after he had a long run and we know how hard of a worker he is. I don't see a problem with this if you have suitable backups.

Just repeating what Foreman said in his podcast. It drove him crazy all the times that backs and receivers would tap out after a long run. He said, "I don't think they [the players] really understood how hard you have to work." or words to that effect.

Yet a lot of the time it was Abdullah after he had a long run and we know how hard of a worker he is. I don't see a problem with this if you have suitable backups.

If you watch any football - college or pro - it happens all the time.

Best explanation for this I heard was a hockey analogy: you put your guys in, you expect them to go like hell for a play or two, then switch them out for fresh legs. Run a couple plays and switch again. Lather, rinse, repeat. The theory being that your guys would be fresher at the end of the game as a result.

Not sure how well it worked, but that was the theory. Seems any lack of success was more a culture issue than S&C's fault.

Dobson has been a punching bag here for a while. But I've never seen any hard data backing that up.

Best explanation for this I heard was a hockey analogy: you put your guys in, you expect them to go like hell for a play or two, then switch them out for fresh legs. Run a couple plays and switch again. Lather, rinse, repeat. The theory being that your guys would be fresher at the end of the game as a result.

Not sure how well it worked, but that was the theory. Seems any lack of success was more a culture issue than S&C's fault.

Dobson has been a punching bag here for a while. But I've never seen any hard data backing that up.

The culture part is probably the most accurate. S&C generally works with the head coach for the total plan. And Dobson did have good reviews coming in. If I'm making bets, there was the same year to year inconsistency with the plan and vision. The position coaches didn't always seem to have a clear idea how to meld with the coordinators, so it would not be shocking to see a similar disconect between coaches and S&C. If they are not on the same page, they guys won't get built up the way should be.

• Fire 1

Not related to Dobson but I was happy to hear something the other day. A friend of a friend that went to schhol at Iowa recently took a job in Colorado training Olympic weight lifters. Impressive but his next dream job is a strength coaching job at DONU. Makes me think our S&C program is still highly regarded.

I'm glad to see he's moving on. For the last several years we've had a collection of some of the most out of shape linemen I've ever seen playing football. I have memories of guys who were gassed by the second quarter, with hands on thighs, huffing wind. It was pretty pathetic. So my impression of Dobson was that he was good at working with the skill position guys, but had no clue whatsoever how to get good weight on the linemen or how to condition them properly. As football is a game won in the trenches, that was a massive problem.

A lot of the time after a long run your down inside the ten, then they bring in someone else because you have a guy like imani cross who is a walking ball of muscle and you bring him in so he can smash it into the end zone. Hell if we would have done that Ameer probably would not have gotten hurt and he might of had extra couple hundred yards he needed to be #1 on the all time yardage list

• Fire 1