Anyone wanna bet Michigan IMPROVES and Nebraska

Husker Q

Harbaugh probably coaches a few years and then returns to the NFL. He was never coming here because of his Michigan ties. Based on the last 10 or so years Nebraska is not a destination job anymore regardless of whatever husker fans believe. Does that mean Riley's a bad choice, who the hell knows?

• Fire 1

there seems to be alot of Bo Pelini type of bagage that follows Harbaugh. Sam McKeon had a link on twitter last night that I have to find that explains all the crazy paranoid types of the things hthhat he does. I was saying that I would love to see him here at Nebraska bbut after reading that no thanks. And yes I realize that he would have never came to NU being a Meechicken Alum.

Yeah here's the article

A few excerpts from it:

"There are still a few bugs in the answer-response system. For instance, you may sense – due to a long pause – that your Harbaugh has completed an answer. You will begin to ask another question. You could be two sentences into your question when your Harbaugh suddenly continues his answer to the previous question. You will feel stupid. Do not be alarmed. This is normal."

"Your Harbaugh will be enormously affectionate one day and cold and distant the next. This is normal."

"Your Harbaugh will guard his practices like North Korea guards its missile program. He will tell you he’s concerned you will inadvertently leak information that will fall into enemy hands. He will say this with a straight face and will tell you that he mines other teams’ media reports for that type of information. There will be no evidence, however, that he does this or that it has been helpful. You will conclude he is being overly paranoid. This is normal."

"Your Harbaugh has been programmed for combat and within six months will pick a fight with the biggest, baddest bully on the block. Urban Meyer, you have been warned."

"Your Harbaugh often will double-down on words for emphasis: “A-plus, plus,” “erroneous, erroneous,” “wonderful, wonderful.” This is not a glitch. Do not bring your Harbaugh in for repair. This is normal."

"Warning: Do not seek constructive criticism on your Harbaugh’s players. He will utter nothing but praise. A rule of thumb for operating your Harbaugh: Players who earn the heaviest amounts of praise often deserve it the least."

I get the idea of "he has not coached one game at NU yet..." But he has been a head coach for 25 years so it is not it like we don't have a decent sample size.

With that said, if it is true that OSU pretty much had the worst of everything and now he is pretty much getting the best of everything...and if he and his staff are better than Bo and his staff, isn't it fair to say they will win more games next year? Doesn't that all add up?

Is there such thing as a 'sure thing' hire?

There are so many variables that into someone being successful.

Urban Meyer - He bailed on Florida and no one will convince me otherwise. Brilliant move on his part as he maintained his status as a guru. I think he will be normalized as the conference gets better. As much as I dislike Meyer, they guy is on his 3rd string QB and still performing at a high level.

Brian Kelly - I was for sure he was the man as I have followed him since his D2 days at Grand Valley State. He has won everywhere he has been.

Jimbo Fischer - How many even heard of him before he came in as a coordinator (coach in waiting) at FSU?

Bob Stoops/Les Miles - Both have had rough patches in their tenure.

Same people grumbling about Riley wanted Mark Reicht...really? I'm still of the opinion that the Majority of the SEC out athletes everyone and the return of the decent team with better coaching and discipline is coming. I hope JH turns it around because it is better for the conference, but I'm not handing him the conference championship because he turned around Standford and had early success with the Niners.

• Fire 1

I don't understand why anyone would think we would win more games next year. Doesn't make sense. We don't even know if we have the players to run what ever scheme Riley wants to run. We don't know if he can run the power type running offense, a lot of people on here want. To many expectations for a coach that hasn't even got to spring practice, with this team yet.

I just want us to win as bad as the next fan, but give the guy time to catch his breath, before we decide what he can do, or can't. Win 9 or more great. Win 7 or 8 but be in every game, not great but OK.

I don't want to hear how soft the schedule is next year, that's what this past year was supposed to be also. How did we do? With a staff that was there for most of the last 7 years.

GBR!!!

• Fire 1

All I see is excuses for MR and expectations for JH.

I haven't seen any excuses for Mike Riley. All I have seen are facts and expectations.

Facts are that he brought an absolutely horrible program to being a very respectable program. He is also a very respected coach.

As for expectations:

1. Higher lever of professionalism in all activities and duties by the coaching staff.

2. More disciplined football play

3. Consistent play on both sides of the ball

4. Aggressive Defense

5. Elimination of us against the world mentality

6. Conference Title within 3 years

7 Playoff Appearance/Top 10 finish within 5 years

8. Consistently ranked in the Top 15

9. Elimination of the "us against the world" mentality

• Fire 1

All I see is excuses for MR and expectations for JH.

I haven't seen any excuses for Mike Riley. All I have seen are facts and expectations.

Facts are that he brought an absolutely horrible program to being a very respectable program. He is also a very respected coach.

As for expectations:

1. Higher lever of professionalism in all activities and duties by the coaching staff.

2. More disciplined football play

3. Consistent play on both sides of the ball

4. Aggressive Defense

5. Elimination of us against the world mentality

6. Conference Title within 3 years

7 Playoff Appearance/Top 10 finish within 5 years

8. Consistently ranked in the Top 15

9. Elimination of the "us against the world" mentality

Good post. And it was very appropriate, whether intended or not, to include #5 and #9, twice. I don't think that aspect can be stressed enough. Good things are about to happen with this program and they go way beyond 9 wins. I feel sorry for people that can't get a sense of what an upgrade we just got.

• Fire 2

I get the idea of "he has not coached one game at NU yet..." But he has been a head coach for 25 years so it is not it like we don't have a decent sample size.

With that said, if it is true that OSU pretty much had the worst of everything and now he is pretty much getting the best of everything...and if he and his staff are better than Bo and his staff, isn't it fair to say they will win more games next year? Doesn't that all add up?

Depends. Are we pretending we're not implementing new systems on both sides of the ball?

I imagine we'll know more in year 2 than year 1.

does NOT.

Michigan hits a home run, Nebraska a ground out. Just a depressing ouch.

Wow what a shockingly shallow look at the situation. I strongly disagree that Michigan has hit a home run. They got a guy with one Bowl victory who left town and he did it while USC, UCLA and Washington were all in transition or on probation. If you ask me Michigan just walked up to the big sparkly slot machine and dropped a 40 million dollar coin. To suggest a ground out is a novice thought at best. Perhaps the hot D Coordinator or dude the won a super bowl would be better,

• Fire 1

Is this how the entire off season is going to be? A bunch of threads talking about how our new coach sucks? Is that what's fun about being a fan? Making assumptions about how it's all going to turn out before it even starts?

If that's the case then I might be done with much of what I do as a Husker fan while following the team I love.

Good lord...some of you must be really fun to hang out with while watching s game.

Is this how the entire off season is going to be? A bunch of threads talking about how our new coach sucks? Is that what's fun about being a fan? Making assumptions about how it's all going to turn out before it even starts?

If that's the case then I might be done with much of what I do as a Husker fan while following the team I love.

Good lord...some of you must be really fun to hang out with while watching s game.

Let's hope its not, the better summer will be looking at schedule, and returning talent and the always fun spring game for hints on what next year will be. Rather I think I should come up with an Idea for a new thread.

Haven't you realized by now? Its much more fun to play the game of being the most pessimistic clown possible... Its really a win/win for em. If they're right and the hire doesn't pan out they can scream I told you so, if they're wrong and the hire is great then the team is doing well and they turn a blind eye to their original grouchy old man stance.

Nothing like trying to tear down your team 8 months before the kick off of the new season!! :ahhhhhhhh