State of the Board

It's an anonymous message board. I don't get uncomfortable. Clearly you do based on your feelings toward those that were banned.

I thought from the content and tone of your posts, that you did/do have issues with my opinions and I thought that was evident in that you replied to them and told me to shut up. That's fine, that's what a board is for...disagreement and debate. But you should respect my right to have those opinions and not tell me to shut up like a child would when you disagree with them.

Stop trying to play some innocent helpless victim. It doesn't hold water.

If these people don't matter to you, why have an opinion at all? Just move to a different forum and you never have to read anything about them again. But you can't. Because you are no different than the people that were banned in that you have to make sure you talk down to people and make sure you beat them to death with your opinions. The only difference between you and them, is that they were better and smarter than you at doing it.

I'll just do what the admins say to do...use the ignore function on you. Mainly because you can't help yourself. Problem solved.

My day just turned for the better.

• Fire 2

I find it entertaining that others would quit coming to the board just because someone else was being stupid enough to warrant a perma-ban. That's like being on a football team and quitting just because your best friend was benched. To me, I keep on playing...I don't give up because someone was benched.

I can't speak for anyone else, but to me the draw to this forum has always been the people - the characters. Some of the more entertaining characters are now gone. So the board is and will be less fun. Fun is the name of the game on internet message boards imo.

Hard to tell just how warranted these bans were since this alleged rash of misconduct and cyber-bullying occured via PM. You may have reasons to give the benefit of the doubt. Others may have reasons not to.

• Fire 6

St. Paul, you have to remember that BlitzFirst was devnet, the epitome of claiming personal attack.

He remembers...why do you think he piles on every chance he gets? Most people (and I'm assuming you as well with your comment) seem to think that I'm the same old poster I was. Here's the thing though...I learned from my temporary ban/warnings. I'm not going to be boneheaded and do the same thing again...and that's something the guys/gals who were banned weren't able to do...

Must get heavy carrying that cross. Please tell me again how bad these people are and how you have redeemed yourself to the good graces of the mods and admins.

• Fire 4

I find it entertaining that others would quit coming to the board just because someone else was being stupid enough to warrant a perma-ban. That's like being on a football team and quitting just because your best friend was benched. To me, I keep on playing...I don't give up because someone was benched.

I can't speak for anyone else, but to me the draw to this forum has always been the people - the characters. Some of the more entertaining characters are now gone. So the board is and will be less fun. Fun is the name of the game on internet message boards imo.

Hard to tell just how warranted these bans were since this alleged rash of misconduct and cyber-bullying occured via PM. You may have reasons to give the benefit of the doubt. Others may have reasons not to.

Sure, I'm totally with you....it's great to have fun people on the board..but to quit over them leaving/being banned or throw a hissy fit because they did/are? Seriously? I mean, for me, this is small potatoes...I have my wife and family and that's all I need. I don't need to have pals on an internet forum to make things ok in my world. I don't need the presence of someone else to justify me being here.

The bans were warranted because people were warned and didn't back off of what they were warned about. That's purely stupid in my opinion. Why? Because I was warned twice and I backed off. Those people who didn't are dumber than me...according to most people here, that's pretty dumb.

What?
  • Fire 1

Sure, I'm totally with you....it's great to have fun people on the board..but to quit over them leaving/being banned or throw a hissy fit because they did/are? Seriously? I mean, for me, this is small potatoes...I have my wife and family and that's all I need. I don't need to have pals on an internet forum to make things ok in my world. I don't need the presence of someone else to justify me being here.

The bans were warranted because people were warned and didn't back off of what they were warned about. That's purely stupid in my opinion. Why? Because I was warned twice and I backed off. Those people who didn't are dumber than me...according to most people here, that's pretty dumb.

What?

What?

What?

I've been a moderator for a public Forum. I've spent hours and hours weeding out spammers, registering newbies and yeah, taking folks off the board who were being jerks. It can be a pretty thankless job sometimes so I just wanted to say thanks to all of you Mods out there.

I love this board because I love Husker Football. That's it. It's sad when folks have to leave or choose to leave. I enjoy reading all of the different opinions-whether I agree with them or not.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who moderates, posts and even for those who just read the board.

P.S. ALL lawyers are not the scum of the earth. My daughter is a lawyer. She said, 'Mom, I want to be a lawyer so I can be a voice for those who have no voice.' Of the clients she represents: Special Needs Families. She is a voice for those who have none.

• Fire 3

Threads may have been started years ago, but they're still actively posted in today. By Mods and Admins, who are all suddenly worried about cyber bullying.

Perhaps if attitudes about bullying have changed, you should close the Woodshed completely. You know, to be fair.

It's about how well-liked the victim is. If the victim is picked on by everyone, it's not bullying. If that person responds after years of threads dedicated to taking the pi** out of him, then that person is a bully.

You're implying that "bullying" is a concept that's either black or white. I don't think that's the case all the time.

So, I ask where the line is. A 12 page thread in the Woodshed dedicated to how to "deal" with NUPolo8? That's ok?

Junior, I realize you were not happy with the bans, but your argument is specious. The Woodshed is an "opt-in", password protected forum in which a warning is posted in the forum heading, giving those who enter fair notice of what to expect. People who enter have to request to do so, unlike simply registering for the board in general. From a liability perspective we have a much easier argument to make in defense. By contrast, the other forums, the PM system and the email system are not "opt-in", password protected, or carry any kind of warning.

If you want to continue trying to debate this, please feel free. But the bans will stand, and the way we operate will stand. If this is not satisfactory to you, no one is forcing you to remain.

Either way, it encourages a mentality and culture that bleeds into the other forums. You can't seriously believe that if a poster doesn't 'opt-in' while other posters are talking about her/him that it doesn't affect the over-all attitude of the board. It's still under the umbrella of Huskerboard and is a de facto part of the social system here.

• Fire 1

Yeah, I do wonder why we have the woodshed. It's nice, I guess, to have an outlet. And I agree with AR, the warning and the expectations within are clear. It seems though to be a festering ground for members to start developing serious issues with one another, which then spill out everywhere else. Folks get into the habit of, "Hey, look, that guy who I don't like posted. Time to get on his case here in Husker Football."

Not speaking as a mod here, but I wonder how everyone would felt if we stopped personal attacks period. The shed would still be a haven for bad language, not quite "family safe" stuff, etc that falls within the other content guidelines of the board. Got an issue with somebody? Be mature about it. Can't? No, of course you can.

I think some people would see this as too PC. But I mean, what is a personal attacks allowed forum really offering? Just spitballing. Food for thought.

• Fire 1

Yeah, I do wonder why we have the woodshed. It's nice, I guess, to have an outlet. And I agree with AR, the warning and the expectations within are clear. It seems though to be a festering ground for members to start developing serious issues with one another, which then spill out everywhere else. Folks get into the habit of, "Hey, look, that guy who I don't like posted. Time to get on his case here in Husker Football."

Not speaking as a mod here, but I wonder how everyone would felt if we stopped personal attacks period. The shed would still be a haven for bad language, not quite "family safe" stuff, etc that falls within the other content guidelines of the board. Got an issue with somebody? Be mature about it. Can't? No, of course you can.

I think some people would see this as too PC. But I mean, what is a personal attacks allowed forum really offering? Just spitballing. Food for thought.

It seems like most posters know and understand where the line is drawn, both within the Shed and on the public portions of the board. Since the Shed is an opt-in forum, I don't really think it is the problem, as AR said above. As far as bullying goes, I can't say that I see much of that on HB. Either in the Shed or elsewhere. Usually if HB members are ganging up on someone it's due to that person's behavior. (Like when someone posts goofy stuff in the recruiting forum. Or when someone comes on board with some "insider" info that turns out to be BS.) As for the bans, from what I understand it was due to things said in PMs. Not the Shed. I do think it hurt the board a bit to lose that many good posters at once. But whatevs..

I would be very much in favor of that, personally. I only keep up with the shed because it's an integral part of the board atmosphere, but I don't generally get much out of it and think it might be better for the board. All it really offers is people the chance to be nasty to each other without recompense.

Then again, the sarcastic jabs and quips towards one another in the shed can be fun and memorable and contribute to camaraderie, and sometimes there's a blurry line there.

Marf will probably tweet me about this.