State of the Board

So if cyber bullying is such an issue on the board and we are really concerned about someone on this board committing suicide...eh, nvm...

Thick skin people, it's beneficial to our lives. Suggest heavily on getting some.

If "you" are one of those people who are SO SOFT on a internet message board, and can't take a little razzing, man, yikes.

Agreed that people shouldn't take things seriously on a message board, but it only takes one person to commit suicide or have a mental breakdown and have to see a shrink and the family suing the board for causing it and not doing anything about it to shut the site down. Better to be fix the problem early than to wait and maybe have an even bigger problem later.

See but that is exactly the problem. One person's actions should not be the determining factor in a change of how the "whole" works. Whether it should or shouldn't, I do realize it won't change

That is one of the many issues we have living in America. Minority has the power, and its almost always cited as "hurt feelings". It's grossly over exaggerated and ridiculous.

I guess I'm more of a survival of the fittest mindset rather than, protector of the weak...if that makes sense.

I don't mean this coming from a high horse at all but as a genuine question because of our conversations - which do you think Jesus was more like? Survival of the fittest or protector of the weak? Because I see a lot of stories of him interacting with the weak, which is a big part of the reason that the powerful wanted him dead.

Regardless of that hyper-spiritual response, another part of the problem is what you laid out in your previous post where you implied that any male that has emotion or is more easily affected by people's words is less of a man than the guy that doesn't give a sh#t. Which is bullsh#t. You don't know what people have to deal with, you don't know how they were conditioned by their environment, you don't know how they've been scarred and hurt by things completely out of their control. Some people do, indeed, just need to "grow a pair" and get over it, but some people really genuinely struggle as best they can (some people even have physiological chemical imbalances in their brain!) and can hardly help themselves, and then they have you piling on to their battle by saying they aren't manly.

But you do mean it coming from a high horse. It's the stance you always take. It's exactly the reason a lot of people didn't like you. Which is their choice, right, who cares (as you have said, you don't).

Putting a disclaimer "I don't mean this coming from a high horse" doesn't absolve it. It just makes it completely fake. You wrote what you wrote because you want people to see it. Not because you are genuinely coming to someone's aid or whatever. Look, I get what you are saying, but, don't come at me using all those "pointed fingers" (You's)...like you are some Holy Samaritan. You are just like everyone else.

And saying that people shouldn't be offended by stuff on message boards doesn't mean that people are capable of willfully ignoring what another person says, especially if it's targeting them.

Saying, "just grow thicker skin," doesn't do a damn thing in solving any problem, because it completely ignores the fact that some people simply can't grow thicker skin. It's along the lines of saying "stop being depressed" to a person suffering from clinical depression.

We'll never be sure one way or the other what truly went down, but if it is indeed influenced by the use of PMs to "bully" another member, then banning said members is completely justifiable. Quick question...A user can ignore other users and thus not see their posts as much, but does that mean said user will not be able to see any PMs sent by the people on their ignore list?.

• Fire 1

Quick question...A user can ignore other users and thus not see their posts as much, but does that mean said user will not be able to see any PMs sent by the people on their ignore list?.

Good question. Can probably test this easily enough, but I assume not.

It's really not a very effective feature. You probably still see statuses (I'm not sure actually) but certainly see quoted portions of posts. As a way to deal with people you dislike on a message board, it's kind of a last resort, if there's no other means of coexisting.

Huskerboard Etiquette Theme Song:

Lyrics:

Got to be more careful

When you walk the street alone

'Cause hiding in the shadows

Might be the devil you don't know

Got to be more careful

Everything you say

Don't wanna hear your words repeated

All twisted round the other way

You can't even see

What they want from you and me

Can't believe a word they say

Can't believe the things they do

Can't believe they're getting away

With what they do, they do

Messing over me and you

Got to be more careful, people

Got to be more careful now

Got to be more careful, people

Got to be more careful, y'all

Got to be more careful

With all your 'Don't's and Do's'

Be on your best behavior

Watch your P's and Q's

Got to be more careful

When you're chatting on the phone

You don't know who's listening

And what they got going on

So if cyber bullying is such an issue on the board and we are really concerned about someone on this board committing suicide...eh, nvm...

Thick skin people, it's beneficial to our lives. Suggest heavily on getting some.

If "you" are one of those people who are SO SOFT on a internet message board, and can't take a little razzing, man, yikes.

Agreed that people shouldn't take things seriously on a message board, but it only takes one person to commit suicide or have a mental breakdown and have to see a shrink and the family suing the board for causing it and not doing anything about it to shut the site down. Better to be fix the problem early than to wait and maybe have an even bigger problem later.

See but that is exactly the problem. One person's actions should not be the determining factor in a change of how the "whole" works. Whether it should or shouldn't, I do realize it won't change

That is one of the many issues we have living in America. Minority has the power, and its almost always cited as "hurt feelings". It's grossly over exaggerated and ridiculous.

I guess I'm more of a survival of the fittest mindset rather than, protector of the weak...if that makes sense.

I don't mean this coming from a high horse at all but as a genuine question because of our conversations - which do you think Jesus was more like? Survival of the fittest or protector of the weak? Because I see a lot of stories of him interacting with the weak, which is a big part of the reason that the powerful wanted him dead.

Regardless of that hyper-spiritual response, another part of the problem is what you laid out in your previous post where you implied that any male that has emotion or is more easily affected by people's words is less of a man than the guy that doesn't give a sh#t. Which is bullsh#t. You don't know what people have to deal with, you don't know how they were conditioned by their environment, you don't know how they've been scarred and hurt by things completely out of their control. Some people do, indeed, just need to "grow a pair" and get over it, but some people really genuinely struggle as best they can (some people even have physiological chemical imbalances in their brain!) and can hardly help themselves, and then they have you piling on to their battle by saying they aren't manly.

But you do mean it coming from a high horse. It's the stance you always take. It's exactly the reason a lot of people didn't like you. Which is their choice, right, who cares (as you have said, you don't).

Putting a disclaimer "I don't mean this coming from a high horse" doesn't absolve it. It just makes it completely fake. You wrote what you wrote because you want people to see it. Not because you are genuinely coming to someone's aid or whatever. Look, I get what you are saying, but, don't come at me using all those "pointed fingers" (You's)...like you are some Holy Samaritan. You are just like everyone else.

And saying that people shouldn't be offended by stuff on message boards doesn't mean that people are capable of willfully ignoring what another person says, especially if it's targeting them.

Saying, "just grow thicker skin," doesn't do a damn thing in solving any problem, because it completely ignores the fact that some people simply can't grow thicker skin. It's along the lines of saying "stop being depressed" to a person suffering from clinical depression.

Disagree. I also don't think it's even comparable to use depression in the same light as being soft.

• So you're banning people based on Private Messages? I'd recommend changing the name of them. That whole 'private' thing could throw people.
  • It's extremely hard to take a post seriously when it's signed with your handle.
Sincerely,

Killer Cacti

P.S. Pretty disappointed with a lot of good posters being banned at once. I will probably be spending a lot less time on the boards.

Who was banned?

• So you're banning people based on Private Messages? I'd recommend changing the name of them. That whole 'private' thing could throw people.
  • It's extremely hard to take a post seriously when it's signed with your handle.
Sincerely,

Killer Cacti

P.S. Pretty disappointed with a lot of good posters being banned at once. I will probably be spending a lot less time on the boards.

Who was banned?

Polo
ShawnWatson
Abdullah the Butcher
RotoRiot
Dr. Mantis Toboggan
ChaddyBoxer

Disagree. I also don't think it's even comparable to use depression in the same light as being soft.

Disagree. You missed the analogy.

Who was banned?

Polo
ShawnWatson
Abdullah the Butcher
RotoRiot
Dr. Mantis Toboggan
ChaddyBoxer

Is this a complete list? An awful lot of good posters on that list.

Polo
ShawnWatson
Abdullah the Butcher
RotoRiot
Dr. Mantis Toboggan
ChaddyBoxer
tschu
Beanman
LOMs (vacationed?) Still here
sd'sker (supposedly quit)
Carlfense (said he was leaving)
ArmyAllen (said he was leaving)
presidentjlh (might have left) Still here
And also MattyIce (because he's having a hard time fitting in in the Recruiting forum)
kchusker_chris (taking a break, will check back next season)
edit: Updated to reflect StPaulHusker and LOM's inputs, and others

From page 18 Village of the banned thread

Some of the guys banned were douchebags, some weren't. Was this handled the best possible way, probably not, but it's over with. It's not like were trying to free Mandela here, it's a f*ckin' message board about college football...

If this whole fiasco has some of y'alls knickers in a twist, I'm selling thick skin kits, 3 for 10 bucks, just PM me...

The world is full of people that do not like each other, why would anyone expect this to be different. If someone was terrified by remarks made on this board or even PM's, most likely they have a history of it prior to anything happening here.

I got beat up around here for a long time, because of my feelings about the staff and the direction. Pretty much a regular day. Polo and I went at it from pretty much day one. Did I feel intimidated. Hell yea I did, not of fear, but knowing he was a hell of lot smarter than I was. Some that were banned, have more love, dedication and allegiance to the Huskers than 90% of the new asshats we inherited when other boards closed.

Lawyers, all should be lined up and shot at sunrise, scum of the earth, lower than whale dung as far as I am concerned. A shady sneaky lying bunch, never about the rights, but the money they make.

God forbid this country was ever under siege, a bunch of whining babies, wanting someone else to defend them.

I do not frequent this board like I used to. It was a fun place to come, learn about what was happening in Nebraska, at Nebraska. Now it is more about just complaining and talking about the past. Reminds me of a VFW meeting. Mine is bigger than yours crap. Tired of all the bitching, tired of all the excuses, most likely where this all started.

For seven years every single day I was told how great the past staff was, how it was a matter of minutes before it was turned around and MNC would in the trophy room, told how squeaking out wins of significantly lower level teams were great wins, how blowouts just happen to every one. How lucky wins and blown calls were part of the game. How we were on line with only 3 other teams in the country because our sacred cow 9 wins.

Freedom of speech, another right we are losing rapidly.

Eric, Black Shirt, Arky, Zoogs, you guys do a great job on this board, and I do not know the whole story on this, but you banned a guy who loves this program, saw it failing and wanted change. Change comes about normally from dissention. He was man enough to say he was wrong, reversed his whole feelings on the staff and fought to get rid of it unconditionally. I admired that in him. Some lead, some follow, but most just need to get out of the way. I think this board has been dealt a solid body shot. Will it get better with what some bring to the table, doubtful in my mind. Still good people here.

I wish you all the best, but I will be around far less. Just not fun anymore.

• Fire 6