Big Ten Considering Ineligibility for Freshman

cg_8

If it was implemented nation wide by the ncaa I would be in favor of it. How many true frosh athletes end up contributing at Nebraska? Sure we have DPE. But a guy like him—a guy that's the best at what he does of anyone on the rostercomes along about once per decade. I'll bet we average fewer than one true frosh per year who cracks the depth chart. A program like this would be good for about 99% of athletes, and it would not be nearly as taxing to Nebraska as it would to the elite recruiting teams with top ten classes every year.

OTOH, if only the B1G implemented this, it would be a disaster. But I don't think anyone is suggesting that right now.

I'm thinking of guys like Marlon Lucky or Niles Paul who ultimately really regretted not taking a redshirt as they were advised to. Or guys like Harrison Beck, Beau Davis, and Cody Green, who were really poorly served by being thrown into the fire right away. And a lot of this is just about graduation rates, right?

I guess I just don't feel it would be that horrible. Players who did not redshirt as true freshmen, like DPE, or Prince, or Fonzie -- maybe it would've been just as well, or even better, for them and their classmates.

I suppose there's also the idea Lyons put forth that maybe if they know they have to redshirt, things like crime would rise. I don't know about that though.

Most freshman redshirt anyway do they not?

What they are really wanting to say is, the day should be 40 hours instead of 24 since its almost impossible to put in a 50 hour work week and take 4-5 classes towards a degree outside of Communications and African American studies.

So if most redshirt anyway then what difference does it make if the few that are good enough to see the field play and those who aren't don't?

Most probably do redshirt. But that doesn't everyone should.

Just imagine the depth issues teams could have. As much as some kids just plain don't contribute through sheer amazing freshmen debuts. A lot contribute by just being a team player and playing to give someone a few breathers.

I couldn't imagine our defense in 2013 without the ability to play true freshman. I know you could point the finger ( or thumb outwardly towards) Bo for not managing the roster well enough, but we aren't the only team to have depth issues.

Unless I see any other true benefit, I find it incredibly hard to just watch roster spots sit out a year because of a rule. Not everyone will be DPE, but there are plenty of Banderas', Santos', Kalu's, Imani Cross', Abdullah's, Burkhead's, Gerry's, etc. that contribute to the roster and are valuable to the team as true freshman.

I don't think it will happen, but it's maybe not as stupid as it sounds. How many players would have been better served if they had been required to take a redshirt? Not just as football players.

And of course, there are a number of true freshman contributors. If they had to wait a year, and perhaps more seasoned and better-adjusted redshirted guys from the previous class had to play in their stead, would teams be that much worse off?

Also, for football, it does not affect a guy's time-to-pros. It's still three years.

I don't know............. How many?

There obviously isn't any way to quantify this.

But, personally, I think there are lots of kids who would be much better off if they knew going in that first year, they weren't going to play. So often, some kid gets his head full of himself during the HS and recruiting process and they are all upset if they don't get major playing time the minute they set foot on campus. Many times these kids get frustrated, end up having bad attitudes and transferring.

If these kids knew that...OK....the first 12 months in college, I need to work my azz off to prove to the coaches and team I deserve to play, many times they would have more successful careers with less turmoil.

I like it if it is for all conferences including the lower divisions. Doesn't anyone remember when Nebraska had a freshman football team. It is a great way to let the freshman get reps and prove themselves on the field. It could be a big advantage for Nebraska if other programs choose not to have a freshman team. I recall the Nebraska freshman team played all the service academies because not that many schools had freshman teams.

Most freshman redshirt anyway do they not?

What they are really wanting to say is, the day should be 40 hours instead of 24 since its almost impossible to put in a 50 hour work week and take 4-5 classes towards a degree outside of Communications and African American studies.

So if most redshirt anyway then what difference does it make if the few that are good enough to see the field play and those who aren't don't?

That's what I mean.

They diagnose the problem brilliantly and give a totally useless solution.

Problem: Student-Athletes can't handle the academic and athletic workload as shown by the graduation rates and the degree choices that athletic programs "recommend"

The solution seems to me is pretty simple. Either, lower the class load or lower the time commitment to team activities including "individual" activities that are STRONGLY RECOMMENDED by the coaches.