DE Noah Fant [Iowa - Signed LOI]

Pushing back his decision again. Now says by the end of summer.

Worked exclusively at TE during the 7-on-7 state tournament but says he doesn't have a preference as to which side of the ball to play on in college.

Maybe I'm just way too paranoid but it seems like an odd coincidence that on the day Fant announces he's made his decision, we offer another TE.

Perhaps we still want Fant at DE - although we told him he could play either - but.....

Did this change drastically recently?

Last I saw, he was still saying he didn't really have a preference. But my personal opinion - reading between the lines - is he'd rather play TE.

I would imagine, if he were "a target," we'd have shown more than a passing interest in him. This staff has shown they'll put the full court press on a kid they really want. They didn't do that with this kid. Ergo, they didn't really want him.

We can't just randomly sign everyone in a 500-mile radius. We have to have a need they can fill. Stockpiling bodies isn't a sound recruiting strategy.

He's the highest ranked player in the state where the coaches have said they want to do a better job recruiting. He would currently be the seventh-highest rated prospect in our class. He can play either of two positions that the coaches have bemoaned our lack of depth. And particularly at DE we don't seem to have any other prospects even that interested at this point.

Either we have a few guys we really like that no one knows about or we should absolutely have been doing everything we can to get him. I don't think your last paragraph is applicable in the slightest.

Does the guy even want to play DE? If we have two TE in the class and are on the trail of #3, does it make sense to bring in another guy at that position?

Maybe he just didn't click with the coaches. Maybe the coaches didn't click with him. Who knows?

I'm just not seeing an end-of-the-world scenario because this guy didn't commit here.

And I don't see anyone saying it's the end of the world.

We don't have two TEs in this class. Jared Bubak from Lincoln de-committed and is now committed to Arizona State. So we're looking for #2.

No, nobody is using those exact words, but there's clearly some very frustrated people in this thread, and clearly Riley & Co. did something "wrong" when Fant committed elsewhere.

So no, those exact words weren't used. I didn't feel like quoting anyone so nobody felt singled out, so I didn't use their exact words.

Outside of him being an Omaha kid are we missing out on much? I ask because i have never seen the kid play. Obviously a good athlete on the hoops side just was curious how he was on the gridiron.

And I listened to the whole radio interview. The main reason he went to Iowa was them showing the most interest and the way they use their TE and put them in the NFL. I wonder if he will reconsider NU after he sees the way Riley and company will use the TE this year.

Lolz, has he not seen Niles Paul? I kid, I kid.

I believe the staff already felt in a good spot for TE with Snyder and Stoll. Also still a chance on Moss

I thought Stoll was playing LB.

Jack Stoll is a TE. You thinking the other CO kid Domann?

Yep, realized that after I posted it.

We are definitely still looking for another TE.