DE Noah Fant [Iowa - Signed LOI]

I would imagine, if he were "a target," we'd have shown more than a passing interest in him. This staff has shown they'll put the full court press on a kid they really want. They didn't do that with this kid. Ergo, they didn't really want him.

We can't just randomly sign everyone in a 500-mile radius. We have to have a need they can fill. Stockpiling bodies isn't a sound recruiting strategy.

My guess. And it's only a guess. He told the staff early in the process that he'd like to go away to college. Then we backed off. Then he got talked into staying closer to home. Iowa was still there by then and we weren't.

Pushing back his decision again. Now says by the end of summer.

Worked exclusively at TE during the 7-on-7 state tournament but says he doesn't have a preference as to which side of the ball to play on in college.

Maybe I'm just way too paranoid but it seems like an odd coincidence that on the day Fant announces he's made his decision, we offer another TE.

Perhaps we still want Fant at DE - although we told him he could play either - but.....

Did this change drastically recently?

Last I saw, he was still saying he didn't really have a preference. But my personal opinion - reading between the lines - is he'd rather play TE.

I don't think there are many lines to read between. He said Iowa specifically wants him as a TE and that's where he committed.

Well, I guess I was totally wrong. But, if Iowa doesn't have a good year this year I have a feeling they are going to say screw the buyout, and they will have to get rid of Ferentz. Really makes no sense to me from Fant's side. Talked a lot about throwing to TEs at Iowa a lot. He may want to wait and see how much Nebraska might throw to TEs this year. He did mention he will reevaluate after football season. We'll see. Who knows how many times he might change his mind. If Ferentz goes bye-bye, I would almost guarantee he will change his decision.

The young adult, Noah, made his decision. Whether it turns out to be a good one for himself remains to be seen. If thes homegrown kids don't feel like they are wanted, that's on them. If the coaching staff doesn't feel he was the best fit and backed off, that's on them. Anyway it's looked at, bottom line is we want kids who want to play for NU. If he's not passionate about what he's doing, success will be hard to come by no matter where he goes. This is true about all recruits at all schools.

I think we are fine at TE for which Fant wants to play. What I find interesting is that the staff seems to have liked Stoll better than Fant. I know in the grand scheme of things this is only one site's opinion but on 247, Stoll is graded at .8525 and Fant was graded at .8563.

Now, I'm only pointing this out to show that they probably are very similar in talent and ability. So, why do you think the staff likes Stoll over Fant at TE? OR, is it a matter of Stoll committed first so the spot was taken up?

It would be interesting to know of our staff cooled on Fant around the same time Stoll committed.

To me, if there are two players of pretty equal ability, I would prefer to have the local kid. But, sometimes other things play into it that we don't know. I'm not saying it's something like character because i don't know either kid and everything I have seen about Fant is he is actually a pretty smart and mature kid.

I think we are fine at TE for which Fant wants to play. What I find interesting is that the staff seems to have liked Stoll better than Fant. I know in the grand scheme of things this is only one site's opinion but on 247, Stoll is graded at .8525 and Fant was graded at .8563.

Now, I'm only pointing this out to show that they probably are very similar in talent and ability. So, why do you think the staff likes Stoll over Fant at TE? OR, is it a matter of Stoll committed first so the spot was taken up?

It would be interesting to know of our staff cooled on Fant around the same time Stoll committed.

To me, if there are two players of pretty equal ability, I would prefer to have the local kid. But, sometimes other things play into it that we don't know. I'm not saying it's something like character because i don't know either kid and everything I have seen about Fant is he is actually a pretty smart and mature kid.

It sounded to me like Riley wasn't recruiting either Bubak or Fant very hard. Bubak has hinted that since Pelini got fired he felt like he dropped off Nebraska's radar, maybe it was the same with Fant.

It sounded to me like Riley wasn't recruiting either Bubak or Fant very hard. Bubak has hinted that since Pelini got fired he felt like he dropped off Nebraska's radar, maybe it was the same with Fant.

We told him recently he could play whatever position he wanted; it seems like we wanted him.

We told him recently he could play whatever position he wanted; it seems like we wanted him.

Where is this confirmed?