DE Noah Fant [Iowa - Signed LOI]

I think we are fine at TE for which Fant wants to play. What I find interesting is that the staff seems to have liked Stoll better than Fant. I know in the grand scheme of things this is only one site's opinion but on 247, Stoll is graded at .8525 and Fant was graded at .8563.

Now, I'm only pointing this out to show that they probably are very similar in talent and ability. So, why do you think the staff likes Stoll over Fant at TE? OR, is it a matter of Stoll committed first so the spot was taken up?

It would be interesting to know of our staff cooled on Fant around the same time Stoll committed.

To me, if there are two players of pretty equal ability, I would prefer to have the local kid. But, sometimes other things play into it that we don't know. I'm not saying it's something like character because i don't know either kid and everything I have seen about Fant is he is actually a pretty smart and mature kid.

I don't know that it's so much we liked Stoll over Fant. Fant had always told the recruiting sites he didn't care if he played TE or DE - I don't know if he told the coaches anything different. We are in dire need of DEs so we started out recruiting him there. Plus, we had Bubak committed as a TE so the need wasn't as great there. Then we got Stoll as our second TE but by then Fant was looking around. After Bubak de-committed, we told Fant he could play either side.

So perhaps Stoll committed first so we didn't have as much of a need at TE but I don't know that necessarily means we liked him better than Fant.

It sounded to me like Riley wasn't recruiting either Bubak or Fant very hard. Bubak has hinted that since Pelini got fired he felt like he dropped off Nebraska's radar, maybe it was the same with Fant.

We told him recently he could play whatever position he wanted; it seems like we wanted him.

If true, that makes it pretty clear he had no interest in Nebraska anyway. We put an offer on the table, and were going to let him choose positions, and he still went elsewhere.

Not much else we could do, seems like.

It sounded to me like Riley wasn't recruiting either Bubak or Fant very hard. Bubak has hinted that since Pelini got fired he felt like he dropped off Nebraska's radar, maybe it was the same with Fant.

We told him recently he could play whatever position he wanted; it seems like we wanted him.

Where is this confirmed?

“They said if I decided to play tight end, that I could play tight end,” Fant said. “It’s kind of up to me. Right now, I like offense a lot, but I like defense. Like I said before, I’m looking at the school before anything — just the team setting, how everybody meshes together. That’s mainly what I’m looking and more towards my commitment, I’ll look at what position I’m going to play.”

Where is this confirmed?

“They said if I decided to play tight end, that I could play tight end,” Fant said. “It’s kind of up to me. Right now, I like offense a lot, but I like defense. Like I said before, I’m looking at the school before anything — just the team setting, how everybody meshes together. That’s mainly what I’m looking and more towards my commitment, I’ll look at what position I’m going to play.”

Where/when is this from?

What does "recruit him harder" entail? Is that like stalking your crush until she gives in and marries you?

If there's no interest, there's no interest.

But that's the chicken and the egg argument. Is there less interest because we weren't recruiting him harder?

I don't know what that means exactly. But that's what he said about Iowa. So they would seem to be doing something that we weren't.

Where is this confirmed?

Where/when is this from?

June. From a recruiting interview.

If true, that makes it pretty clear he had no interest in Nebraska anyway. We put an offer on the table, and were going to let him choose positions, and he still went elsewhere.

Not much else we could do, seems like.

Bubak became enamored with the idea that a school in the PAC 12 wanted him and they said he could play WR. To me there are big questions about Bubak. He has never played TE and he has always played against light competition. Fant is late to football and very raw who knows how he turns out.

They are both great athletes and you don't want to see them go other places, but neither of them is a slam dunk 2 year starter at Nebraska.