DE Noah Fant [Iowa - Signed LOI]

SSO over on Huskermax is pretty tied to the program and Omaha. He says we weren't showing a ton of interest, way less then iowa, and the both parties drifted apart. Also says it's not over and Fant is basically re-opening the recruitment after his season.

Imo, more it's a spot saving spot. But I still don't think he ever ends up here.

Got a text this morning that said something similar. Nebraska wasn't showing as much interest as Iowa and that Fant hasn't responded to a number of recent contacts by the coaching staff.

Fant has said as much since May. In fact, Iowa told Fant in June that he was their #1 guy at TE and DE. Riley was his point of contact here, so it is a little disappointing that Nebraska could not close the deal. We could split hairs about why or how, but in the end, Iowa did a better job recruiting him.

SSO over on Huskermax is pretty tied to the program and Omaha. He says we weren't showing a ton of interest, way less then iowa, and the both parties drifted apart. Also says it's not over and Fant is basically re-opening the recruitment after his season.

Imo, more it's a spot saving spot. But I still don't think he ever ends up here.

Got a text this morning that said something similar. Nebraska wasn't showing as much interest as Iowa and that Fant hasn't responded to a number of recent contacts by the coaching staff.

Fant has said as much since May. In fact, Iowa told Fant in June that he was their #1 guy at TE and DE. Riley was his point of contact here, so it is a little disappointing that Nebraska could not close the deal. We could split hairs about why or how, but in the end, Iowa did a better job recruiting him.

SSO basically said that Fant didn't reciprocate our staff's interest in him, thus the drifting away.

SSO basically said that Fant didn't reciprocate our staff's interest in him, thus the drifting away.

He would have been more responsive if we had recruited harder.

So the previous staff had it right all along by (supposedly) not putting as much effort into recruiting because it doesn't matter anyway.

So the previous staff had it right all along by (supposedly) not putting as much effort into recruiting because it doesn't matter anyway.

No, the onus is entirely on the school. Doesn't matter if a kid likes School A more than School Z. If School Z recruits harder, he'll go to School Z.

Mike Riley is known as a good judge of talent, finding diamonds in the rough, all that jazz. Riley latched on to Pat O'Brien before anyone had ever heard of him, now he's a four-star prospect and his stock is rising.

If Riley didn't show as much interest in this guy, maybe there's a reason for that.

Bingo.

I'd like to lock down the state as much as anybody, but that does not mean a) every D1 prospect will be coveted by the staff or b) every D1 prospect the staff does covet will go to Nebraska no matter what is done. Some kids grow up dreaming of playing for Nebraska. Some want to explore all their options and maybe want to get out and go somewhere else. That's the nature of recruiting.

For some, that dream land is Iowa, but I'm not judging ;)

• Fire 1

No, the onus is entirely on the school. Doesn't matter if a kid likes School A more than School Z. If School Z recruits harder, he'll go to School Z.

Not sure I totally buy that statement. There are a lot of factors that go into recruiting, not just what school is recruiting the "hardest".

From Roger Craig to now John Raridon - we have had several kids from Iowa who played for Nebraska. I'm sure they were saying the same thing when they left the state.

I personally would have seen how this staff utilizes TEs before making the decison but if I was currently looking to play TE, Iowa is the better option right now. Those are facts just based on the success in college accolades, NFL potential, and how often they are used in their offense.

• Fire 1