Offense a work in progress

It makes sense that the defense would have a smoother transition. There's new schemes, new philosophy, new terminology, but we still have the right type of athletes to run a 4-3 defense. The biggest challenge personnel-wise is lack of talent and depth at LB and maybe DE.

On offense, we have mostly spread-option personnel trying to learn a pro-style offense. We just don't have any pro-style QBs on the roster. The lack of balanced TEs on the roster will also be a big challange. Maybe even offensive linemen, to an extent.

It'll be interesting to see how much of Beck's stuff they incorporate into the new offense the next couple years to try to make it a smooth transition.

When you're bringing in a new staff with a different philosophy it's going to take time. Chances are neither side of the ball will play lights out this season as they get used to the new system. It might take a couple years before we know what we're getting out of Riley.

But the way things are now, imagine if they're record is 2-2 going into the conference schedule, this will be the board...

giphy.gif

Airplane GIFs always get a +1 from me.

I'm not concerned or stressed about it.

I fully expect there to be growing pains in the systems on both sides of the ball especially early on in the season.

How they play in the first game means nothing on how they could be playing at the end of the season. How they play this season has nothing to do with how they could be playing 1 or 2 or 3 years down the road.

I'm going to sit back and enjoy watching the Huskers with the new coaching staff.

Of course, they always have the opportunity to surprise everyone and do something special. Never know until the games are played.

It makes sense that the defense would have a smoother transition. There's new schemes, new philosophy, new terminology, but we still have the right type of athletes to run a 4-3 defense. The biggest challenge personnel-wise is lack of talent and depth at LB and maybe DE.

On offense, we have mostly spread-option personnel trying to learn a pro-style offense. We just don't have any pro-style QBs on the roster. The lack of balanced TEs on the roster will also be a big challange. Maybe even offensive linemen, to an extent.

It'll be interesting to see how much of Beck's stuff they incorporate into the new offense the next couple years to try to make it a smooth transition.

I think this is a strong point. The offense may be slow out of the gate as they are learning a new scheme, though our DBs will have to make a big transition from man to zone coverage. I am surprised to hear Riley say they have trying to install so much already, as he has said before he would like to be solid at the few things they do rather than average at a lot. Riley must have realized that the volume has become a bit of a problem because he said that he talked to the coaches yesterday about reducing and focusing what they will do moving forward. The one thing that concerns me for the future is that both Tommy and Ryker said the new offense is more complex and has a bigger playbook. One of the major knocks on our offense the last few years have been the complexity and volume, so to increase that, it sounds like a potential long-term problem. I will stay reserved though in my judgements of this staff until we see the final product and expect that Riley will be able to anticipate and resolve this issue.

When you're bringing in a new staff with a different philosophy it's going to take time. Chances are neither side of the ball will play lights out this season as they get used to the new system. It might take a couple years before we know what we're getting out of Riley.

But the way things are now, imagine if they're record is 2-2 going into the conference schedule, this will be the board...

giphy.gif

Airplane GIFs always get a +1 from me.

pilot_flying_plane_hg_clr.gif

plane.gif

tumblr_m6v62uSP9a1r8cvzdo1_500.gif

kamikaze-cat6.gif

• Fire 1

Not bothered much by this.

When the season starts the defense needs to be dialed in and locked down. It will carry the offense for a few games while the offense gets its stuff together. Now if the offense is still struggling in late September, Houston we got a problem.

Nebraska is playing Houston in September???

OK,my big worry is this.......we don't have the guys, with the experience to run a pro set O.......we damn sure don't have the QB to do it, really, at this point we just plain don't have an under center, drop back, 60% + passer with a quick release and able to read defenses quickly and decisively..........knowing that, does Riley force the "square peg" in the round hole?..or does he shift back and run some of the spread option stuff, zone read stuff, that the kids know and are fit for?....he said he will adapt and make plays for his play makers........i think he moves forward and installs his pro set stuff and yes, this team will be slow to morf.....and it won't be the kids fault, it is simply going to be growing pains for the O.......so be prepared for more 3 and outs while this team learns and while we wait to recruit guys who fit this system........seriously, this could be a long season.....or two.

Since Riley was hired, I've heard he is a master developer of quarterbacks. Let's see it.......

Link? I've never seen that said before.

Since Bo Pelini was hired, I've heard he is a "defensive guru". Still haven't seen it.

Here's a link. Unfortunately, there's no hearsay in the article about whether or not Pelini is a defensive guru....but since Pelini is not coaching Nebraska, I think concern about Banker might be more relevant at this time. http://www.omaha.com/huskers/many-hand-it-to-riley-he-can-develop-quarterbacks/article_b2dfc5ea-1502-5b02-97a1-34fa3351642c.html

Since Riley was hired, I've heard he is a master developer of quarterbacks. Let's see it.......

Since Bo Pelini was hired, I've heard he is a "defensive guru". Still haven't seen it.

Here's a link. Unfortunately, there's no hearsay in the article about whether or not Pelini is a defensive guru....but since Pelini is not coaching Nebraska, I think concern about Banker might be more relevant at this time. http://www.omaha.com/huskers/many-hand-it-to-riley-he-can-develop-quarterbacks/article_b2dfc5ea-1502-5b02-97a1-34fa3351642c.html

From the article-

"In the latter stages of the Bo Pelini era, some Husker fans clamored for a quarterbacks coach. Nebraska appears to have found one — in its head coach."

So....that ^ comment there is basically the same as calling him a "master QB developer"? Hmmm...seems to me you may have embellished your side of the argument a bit to fit your objective.

I love how you claim Bo's time here irrelevant to the discussion since he no longer coaches here, yet you've been bashing Riley's time at Oregon St. for months now.

From the article-

"In the latter stages of the Bo Pelini era, some Husker fans clamored for a quarterbacks coach. Nebraska appears to have found one — in its head coach."

So....that ^ comment there is basically the same as calling him a "master QB developer"? Hmmm...seems to me you may have embellished your side of the argument a bit to fit your objective.

I love how you claim Bo's time here irrelevant to the discussion since he no longer coaches here, yet you've been bashing Riley's time at Oregon St. for months now.

I provided a link specific to the quarterback development reputation of Riley. I'm very hopeful about that. In my opinion, the play of the QB, OL, and LB are where we need the most improvement. Oh, and Riley's background is currently more relevant than Pelni's because Riley is the current coach of the Nebraska Cornhusker football team. Pelini is not.

Absolutely nothing to be concerned about here. It is March 22, not August 22. If we are to have any success in the early part of the season, the defense is going to have to be on point. No matter how many repetitions the offense goes through in practice, nothing compares to a game day experience. So I expect the offense to struggle against BYU, Miami, and Wisconsin in the first part of the year. There should be less problems come Michigan State and Iowa. But the key to success in the first half of the upcoming season will be a lights out defense. With a scheme that attacks more, I have a feeling we'll be in fairly good hands.

• Fire 1