Statement from Gregory regarding the draft's first day

Maybe being toooo honest hurt him in the eyes of those coaches and GMs & they couldn't separate the past from the future. Regardless, I hope he has set himself on the right path and plays with abandon and proves to be an all star. Come on Vikings - take a chance on him.

The question is, what was he "too honest" about? I tend to agree that he may have said too much, but knowing the issues of other guys drafted in the first round, what could Gregory have possibly disclosed that would have pushed him to the 2nd round, or lower?

Should have stayed for his senior year. Oh wait he probably would have missed half the year cause he was High. lol.

Once a husker, always a husker.

Dont kick the kid while he is down.

I dont questions Randy Gregory as a person. He seems like a good dude who just lacks the heart for the NFL. I dont judge a guy for that... some peoples interests are elsewhere.

• Fire 4

Maybe he admitted during those interviews that he was high while he stole crab legs? Or that he stole crab legs because he was high? Or that the crab legs he stole were stuffed with weed?

What I'm getting at is, clearly stealing crab legs (or being gifted crab legs by a fan) isn't a problem. Clearly smoking weed doesn't keep you out of the first round. So... a combination of all of those? Or more - maybe he admitted he's a soccer fan?

Don't forget getting dismissed from your college team because you clashed with coaches.

What? He was dismissed from the team?

Not Gregory. Marcus Peters from Washington who went #18.

There has been a lot of speculation about the Cardinals being possibly interested in him because they need an outside edge rusher. The biggest concerns I've heard (not about the obvious) are related to his weight. Apparently a lot of GMs shared a concern about him playing at 235 in the NFL and asked if he could put on some muscle/weight. Then, word came out that he's currently at 225, and that is scaring people away. That, and some have labeled him with work ethic issues.

Again, just what is being said on the local radio, but thought it was interesting.

Should have stayed for his senior year. Oh wait he probably would have missed half the year cause he was High. lol.

Once a husker, always a husker.

Dont kick the kid while he is down.

I dont questions Randy Gregory as a person. He seems like a good dude who just lacks the heart for the NFL. I dont judge a guy for that... some peoples interests are elsewhere.

+1 to this.

Up to this point Gregory has been able to excel largely on natural talent. I'm thinking that the lack of love he got yesterday coupled with the increased level of competition he'll be facing will put a bit more fire in his belly. Look for Randy to step his game up over the next few months, and the next couple of years. That's what I'm rooting for anyway.

This is pure speculation and I want to label it that.

I've started wondering if RG was dealing pretty heavily. The rumor mill seems to be in consensus that he was smoking. A lot. It wouldn't surprise me if he had his fingers more in the cookie jar. Again completely unfounded, but would it would help explain his drop a little better in my mind.

I've heard a rumor similar to this from someone who lives on campus.

Please fall to the bears, please be smart enough to pick him

The first could happen. The second seems unlikely. If history serves.

:lol:

Well they really blew it with their first round pick (their receivers, or lack thereof, are not the problem). So don't hold your breath :lol:

I said it in a status update earlier that I removed. I find it funny that people act like the only players who smoke pot are the ones that get caught. I had the same discussion with my wife last night who is very against weed. She says the same things I have been reading, "why throw away millions of dollars to smoke pot?".

Well, if he gets drafted tonight does it really matter? Personally, couldn't care less if he tokes up. The entire nation is currently doing the dance of "well it's illegal buuuuuut you can smoke it if it's for health reasons or if you live in certain states". Yet we are going to pretend that likely half the NFL doesn't smoke pot for recreational use and or as a way of killing the pain.

If the pot use is truly what held Gregory back last night, I would be shocked. I would have to assume that size and perceived work ethic were what held him back. But his statement above should help ease suitors into snatching him up.

Here's the deal. I can't figure out why Gregory's character is so much worse than someone line Winston's.

But, as to the situation with Gregory, I was talking to a past Husker player last night. This player played before Gregory came here so he doesn't know anything about him personally. BUT, this guy had gone through all the draft preparation...etc. He said that they are drilled constantly about what they should not do or can not do leading up to the draft. He said it is made VERY clear to everyone not to smoke weed because it will be found and it will be used against you in the draft.

Now, obviously Gregory was told the same things and he didn't give a sh#t. He went ahead and did that anyway. Now, if I'm a potential employer, that's a red flag. What else am I going to tell him to do or not to do and he's not going to give a sh#t about and ignore me.

I have no clue if that's really what caused him to fall so far. I have to believe there was something else in the meetings with the teams that he revealed that was an even bigger red flag. But, it all goes towards if someone is going to take a risk on him.

I put this in the other Randy thread, but incase you didn't see it:

Deadspin on Randy's reported issues, but no one will say what they are.

By every account Nebraska pass rusher Randy Gregory is an NFL talent, and based on football skills alone, deserves to go early in tomorrow’s first round. But reports citing multiple scouts and team executives indicate he’s rapidly sliding down draft boards, with some teams prepared to pass on him altogether. The strange part is that no one will say exactly why.

Gregory has failed a few tests for marijuana, most recently at the combine. He’s also slightly undersized to play defensive end, which is where he likely projects (he did play a lot of linebacker in college). But apparently, there’s more than that.

Today comes a very odd report from NFL.com on Gregory, and on teams worries about what they might get from him. Pay very close attention to the wording throughout, because it’s maddeningly nonspecific and just begging you to read between the lines.

What is this “off-the-field stuff” that could torpedo Gregory’s NFL career? Why do scouts and the NFL.com reporters repeatedly go out of their way to emphasize that these problems are “no fault of his own?” Mike Florio’s baffled, and damned if this report—and others referring to Gregory’s “other issues”—isn’t specifically obfuscating the actual issue at hand.

The caution may stem from potential medical privacy issues, as well as workplace discrimination laws. There are rumors, confined to social media and message boards, that Gregory may suffer from depression and/or anxiety. (He himself has said he first started smoking marijuana to deal with anxiety, though it’s not clear if he was using the term in its clinical sense.)

It’s not clear whether the teams are reacting to the rumors, or whether they’re acting on information that’s behind the rumors, but it would absolutely explain this weird pre-draft farrago. As much as the players have collectively bargained away medical privacy, no team or reporter would want to speak publicly about a kid’s mental health status—or admit that they’d deny him employment because of it. At the same time, it would be a very real concern for teams gambling a first-round pick. Just ask the Houston Rockets, who took Royce White 16th overall, knowing his struggles with obsessive-compulsive disorder and anxiety disorder, and never got a single game from him.

If there’s truth to this, it’s telling that the NFL doesn’t have the vocabulary to differentiate mental health from “mental toughness.” It’s a cold business, and anything that gets in the way of an athlete’s ability to stay on the field will necessarily take precedence.

That statement was a contrived piece of crap written by his agent that saw a hefty payday go out the window.

Best of Luck to RG but despite where others went in the draft with "character issues", these GM's thought you were worse. Maybe instead of calling out whatever teams that will pass on you with you chip on the shoulder, you should just be quiet and humble and go to work.

• Fire 3