No more Husker players' numbers on fan jerseys

So just advertise a #00 jersey and have the user select which number they want. Can't control what numbers are bought then and your not advertising any player past or present.

Or just sell blank jerseys and let the buyer put whatever name/number they want on the back. There are lots of places that will customize the name/number for a few bucks. :lol:

The Huskers official shop is still selling customized replicas. Just FYI.

http://shop.huskers.com/COLLEGE_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_Jerseys/adidas_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_Team_Color_Replica_Football_Jersey_-_Scarlet

Will this still be allowed?

No. I'm guessing it will change as soon as the 2015 stock arrives.

I could see it going either way with the customized jersey. They are marketing it as a personalized jersey with "your" name on it. It's just a coincidence that there are so many 'Fraziers' in the state who really like #15. I would guess that this is still safe since they aren't mass producing a single number and it's something that you can just buy off the rack.

Edit: There is this disclaimer on the website:

• NCAA rules prohibit us from customizing a product with the name and number of a current

The sale of jerseys need to stop to anyone over 18 years old. A grown man wearing a jersey of someone half their age is ridiculous.

I'm in my mid 30s and I still plan on wearing a Husker jersey on Saturdays, don't really care what you think.

Also, it is very common in South Louisiana to see older people wearing jerseys.

It was very common to see people dressed like this once:

tumblr_l2bjs4eE151qaxk1co1_400.jpg

Are you hating on my Bell-bottoms and rhinestone jacket?

You can hurt my pride but you will never kill disco man, never :wasted

Don't really see the issue with jerseys but I understand the NCAA/schools wanting to protect themselves

Do you guys not understand that this is the university protecting itself? It's not like they think it's morally pure or anything; it's a no brainer with the way the climate is changing in cfb.

Everyone understands the university is protecting itself - the circumstances surrounding their decision are what's stupid, imho. Three years from now is not a long time - I would argue if you went to average Joe Husker fan on the street in 2018, showed them a #18 jersey, and ask them "what does this represent?" they will say Berringer. It's an association that's already been created and, in my opinion, limiting the year you can access the jersey doesn't change the association. Hence my argument to just give college athletes a share of the profits and be done with it...

If they're not considered amateurs and part of the student body, then whats the point? Why would I care about another semi-pro team in Nebraska? I'd like to see the think trend more towards how we can get back to a closer 50/50 ratio between student and athlete versus "F#%k it, just make them pros" attitude.

The chances of this happening are slim to none. The profits for the universities and the media revenues are so lucrative that, if anything, it's just going to get even more ridiculous with time. Everything about what these guys do screams professionalism, only they're hidden behind the "student athlete" moniker like that somehow changes the situation, like they're some amateurs. Do amateur athletes workout, study film and practice for 30-40 hours a week, or more? Do amateur athletes make constant media appearances? Do amateur athletes follow fairly strict diet regimens? Do amateur athletes constantly have their every move analyzed? Do amateur athletes have tens of thousands of Twitter followers?

I could go on, but, I'll spare you. The point is these athletes are not amateur. Yes, they do receive full ride scholarships, and I'm not suggesting someone like Kenny Bell should've been getting tens of thousands of dollars off jersey sales. But, I do think they're somewhat owed for their likeness generating tens of millions of dollars in revenues. Courts felt EA was doing it, and there's plenty of evidence to suggest universities are getting away with the same type of profiting.

It's like when people get mad at a player for transferring to another school for better opportunities. If you want to walk-on at Nebraska - fine. If you want to go to a lower division school so you can actually play and see the field - fine. Sometimes, you gotta look out for yourself.

Do amateur athletes workout, study film and practice for 30-40 hours a week, or more? Do amateur athletes make constant media appearances? Do amateur athletes follow fairly strict diet regimens? Do amateur athletes constantly have their every move analyzed? Do amateur athletes have tens of thousands of Twitter followers?

Have you ever watched the Olympics?

• Fire 2

Aren't there sites that will allow you to pick the number that you want and ship it to you? I know for the NHL, there are sites that allow you to pick the number and name you want on the back. I can see sites doing the same thing with college jerseys if they aren't already doing it now.

Do amateur athletes workout, study film and practice for 30-40 hours a week, or more? Do amateur athletes make constant media appearances? Do amateur athletes follow fairly strict diet regimens? Do amateur athletes constantly have their every move analyzed? Do amateur athletes have tens of thousands of Twitter followers?

Have you ever watched the Olympics?

I'm not sure I follow you. Olympic athletes receive a stipend and have the ability to make money from advertising revenues.

If they're not considered amateurs and part of the student body, then whats the point? Why would I care about another semi-pro team in Nebraska? I'd like to see the think trend more towards how we can get back to a closer 50/50 ratio between student and athlete versus "F#%k it, just make them pros" attitude.

The chances of this happening are slim to none. The profits for the universities and the media revenues are so lucrative that, if anything, it's just going to get even more ridiculous with time. Everything about what these guys do screams professionalism, only they're hidden behind the "student athlete" moniker like that somehow changes the situation, like they're some amateurs. Do amateur athletes workout, study film and practice for 30-40 hours a week, or more? Do amateur athletes make constant media appearances? Do amateur athletes follow fairly strict diet regimens? Do amateur athletes constantly have their every move analyzed? Do amateur athletes have tens of thousands of Twitter followers?

I could go on, but, I'll spare you. The point is these athletes are not amateur. Yes, they do receive full ride scholarships, and I'm not suggesting someone like Kenny Bell should've been getting tens of thousands of dollars off jersey sales. But, I do think they're somewhat owed for their likeness generating tens of millions of dollars in revenues. Courts felt EA was doing it, and there's plenty of evidence to suggest universities are getting away with the same type of profiting.

It's like when people get mad at a player for transferring to another school for better opportunities. If you want to walk-on at Nebraska - fine. If you want to go to a lower division school so you can actually play and see the field - fine. Sometimes, you gotta look out for yourself.

I appreciate the response. I don't necessarily disagree with you on feeling like they're already pros in every way except for the recepit of a pay stub. Maybe its just old guy syndrom, but there are still enough rules in place to allow me to naively buy into the student athlete notion. Would the youth be okay with rooting for a team simply because they reside in the state and are paid employees of the state university? Perhaps if this is what they're accustomed. For me, what litte donating I do will certainly dry up.

More to the topic though, I do think the university trying to protect itself in this way is silly. IMO, 99%+ of college players are perfectly fine with allowing "their" jersey number being sold without any promise of compensation. Perhaps I don't know all the details, but without last names on the jerseys, this seems like a reach that it would fall under the same premise of the EA sports argument.

I think it's a sign that fans should no longer where players' jerseys after they reach the age of 13

I think it's a sign that fans should no longer where players' jerseys after they reach the age of 13

I'm more concerned about people over the age of 13 that don't know the difference between 'where' and 'wear'.

I +1'd both of you...

I'm indecisive.

• Fire 1