Camping Out: Running Backs

Makes sense that Stephenson wouldn't be in as good as shape as everyone else that was training in Lincoln over the summer. Hopefully he can acclimate quickly.

There was no one stopping him from working out on his own. Just saying.

He wouldn't have had the same resources but I agree. Thought that was weird too.

Makes sense that Stephenson wouldn't be in as good as shape as everyone else that was training in Lincoln over the summer. Hopefully he can acclimate quickly.

He wouldn't have had the same resources but I agree. Thought that was weird too.
You have a group of guys working out with a team, in a world class weight room, with a professional S&C coach, or you have an 18 year old kid, not knowing where he will end up going to college, working out on his own. Which one do you think will have better results?

The guy is in his 2nd day with the team. Give him a couple weeks to catch his breath and he will be fine.

• Fire 1

You have a group of guys working out with a team, in a world class weight room, with a professional S&C coach, or you have an 18 year old kid, not knowing where he will end up going to college, working out on his own. Which one do you think will have better results?

The guy is in his 2nd day with the team. Give him a couple weeks to catch his breath and he will be fine.

It was strongly implied he wasn't working out on his own.

• Fire 1

Nyatawa had some great points about using DPE on jet-sweep action the same way Oregon State used James Rodgers. Oregon State would use Rodgers 3 or 4 different ways coming off jet-sweep action. That will be cool to see.

Pretty sure this has been the plan ever since Riley watched DPE vs USC. I could see Jordan Stevenson play the same role this year.

"Game" conditioning will take 2 weeks. We are talking about an elite athlete not one of us.

Secondly, this is just a guess, but he is so amped up right now that he probably goes balls out on every drill, so a few minutes into it he looks ragged...think of the first time you had sex...you think you can give it your all but you find out that you can last about a minute and are totally out of breath...and crying.

The crying is the best part

• Fire 2

Come BYU time, My bet is on Adam Taylor taking the most snaps next to Newby. I will like to see Wilbon get some plays. I like Cross near the goal line, although I think Taylor can do the job too. Stevenson will likely battle Wilbon, and that should be a chore in itself.

I'm always excited to see who the next great Husker back will be. I'd like to think that, by the time we are through with the Miami game, we all will agree on "Yep, he's the one, that's our guy".

My guess is that Newby and Taylor will be used alot like Riley used Storm Woods and Terran Ward in 2013. Except I expect to see more than 240 carries between the two.

Mannion had 600 attempts throwing the ball. I don't anticipate Armstrong having that many attempts

Have to agree with you there.

I think Imani gets dished into irrelevancy because of his body type and previous contributions. He got somewhat looked over at times in previous seasons, a lot of that was due to AA's talent, but also Cross' abilities, IMHO. Combine that with what people THINK Riley will run this year, in terms of the type of offense, and Cross may just not be the guy needed on most downs.

I also heard from two people who watched practice yesterday that Cross didn't look good catching passes in the backfield. In fact, he dropped four of them in the first hour. That said, I heard quite a few people had problems yesterday. First day of practice so shouldn't read too much into it, though. Just observations from yesterday.

His contribution? He's been steadily more productive as time has went on through his career with both ypc and tds where he got quite a few (10?) Last year.

He has not been steadily more productive through his career. Cross' contributions WERE increasing until 2014, when he dropped off in every major category - attempts, YPC, total yards and TD's, compared to 2013. Now, as I stated, a lot of that was because AA was just so good, AA needed to be on the field. But, that's also because I just don't think Cross is a guy they want in there on most downs. He only had 5 TD's in 2014, btw. He had 10 in 2013.

Cross and Newby had only had about an 8 carry difference in 2014 with a similar number of touchdowns. Cross had more YPC and more total yards. You'd think Cross would have seen more carries and opportunities by this point if that's what the coaches wanted. Instead, he split them almost identically with Newby.

Cross also has a grand total of 4 career catches for 14 yards, and RB catching ability will likely be more necessary under Riley, though not guaranteed. I'm not trying to insult Cross - just stating facts.

• Fire 1

Thought I already posted on this?? I thought Wilbon looked the best, but I haven't seen all of them enough to know. Still , gut says Wilbon. It also depends if the back is a straight Osborne style runner or a flanker type. I wouldn't call Mr. Wilbon a prototypical flanker....that would be Mr. Pierson-El.

• Fire 1

I think Imani gets dished into irrelevancy because of his body type and previous contributions. He got somewhat looked over at times in previous seasons, a lot of that was due to AA's talent, but also Cross' abilities, IMHO. Combine that with what people THINK Riley will run this year, in terms of the type of offense, and Cross may just not be the guy needed on most downs.

I also heard from two people who watched practice yesterday that Cross didn't look good catching passes in the backfield. In fact, he dropped four of them in the first hour. That said, I heard quite a few people had problems yesterday. First day of practice so shouldn't read too much into it, though. Just observations from yesterday.

His contribution? He's been steadily more productive as time has went on through his career with both ypc and tds where he got quite a few (10?) Last year.

He has not been steadily more productive through his career. Cross' contributions WERE increasing until 2014, when he dropped off in every major category - attempts, YPC, total yards and TD's, compared to 2013. Now, as I stated, a lot of that was because AA was just so good, AA needed to be on the field. But, that's also because I just don't think Cross is a guy they want in there on most downs. He only had 5 TD's in 2014, btw. He had 10 in 2013.

Cross and Newby had only had about an 8 carry difference in 2014 with a similar number of touchdowns. Cross had more YPC and more total yards. You'd think Cross would have seen more carries and opportunities by this point if that's what the coaches wanted. Instead, he split them almost identically with Newby.

Cross also has a grand total of 4 career catches for 14 yards, and RB catching ability will likely be more necessary under Riley, though not guaranteed. I'm not trying to insult Cross - just stating facts.

Newby has significantly fewer towndowns had Cross, but I don't fault Newby for this. Cross gets the benefits of carries when it is short and goal. Except last season where Bo gave many of these carries to AA on account of his Heisman campaign.

But given that Cross has a higher percentage of short yardage situations, it is pretty amazing that he averaged more yards per carry than Newby, in an offense tailored for AA, which also should favor Terrell.

I think the are both great backs to have. What I don't understand are the posts that salivate over Newby, Stevenson, Wilbon, Taylor and diss Cross. Don't understand that, and I am not even his mom.

• Fire 1