This team seems soft

Questfor6

I like it. Less laying on the field = victories.

You couldn't say it better.. I understand I'm new to this board, but I'm just stating an opinion

I'm interested in what Riley can do with this offense, plenty of times coaches get too pretty (jet sweep) but i love what i saw in his first game..

I'm just tired of this team laying eggs in big time games.. hope he can change that

I see your point. NU of late, Bo (save SUH) and Cally's squads didn't play with a mean streak. They don't play with a chip on their shoulder. When Sutton got taken out, NU of old would have exploded the next series. The D would have been head hunting and the O would have ridden #20 into the ground on every play. Now, not so much. Having a rep of a mea, nasty and borderline "dirty" can win some games before you even step on the field.

I remember when Martinez got pile driven by Borland several years ago. I don't even remember Huskers getting in his face or even helping Martinez up. Josh Mitchell was one of the few in recent memory who had "that attitude" to get in a guys face, push and shove and defend the honor of NU.

Mental and physical toughness do, per the eyeball test, seems less than some other teams...

One of the OL came running up, but that was about it, but you are right, not much defending went down. That meanstreak (not shady cheap shop) is missing.

I think they're mentality soft in the fact that they can't put teams away yet. They have struggled with tightening the grip around the throat and killing the opponent. They had opportunities to put BYU away and they failed. The defense had opportunities to shut them down, but lacked consistent playmaking. Not saying it can't change, but that confidence of going in KNOWING you're walking out with a win isn't there.

With all the suspensions and the players leaving/booted off team, the culture Riley is creating is a work in progress.

You couldn't say it better.. I understand I'm new to this board, but I'm just stating an opinion

I'm interested in what Riley can do with this offense, plenty of times coaches get too pretty (jet sweep) but i love what i saw in his first game..

I'm just tired of this team laying eggs in big time games.. hope he can change that

We're really to the point of calling getting beat by a Hail Mary "laying an egg"?

I see your point. NU of late, Bo (save SUH) and Cally's squads didn't play with a mean streak. They don't play with a chip on their shoulder. When Sutton got taken out, NU of old would have exploded the next series. The D would have been head hunting and the O would have ridden #20 into the ground on every play. Now, not so much. Having a rep of a mea, nasty and borderline "dirty" can win some games before you even step on the field.

I remember when Martinez got pile driven by Borland several years ago. I don't even remember Huskers getting in his face or even helping Martinez up. Josh Mitchell was one of the few in recent memory who had "that attitude" to get in a guys face, push and shove and defend the honor of NU.

Mental and physical toughness do, per the eyeball test, seems less than some other teams...

One of the OL came running up, but that was about it, but you are right, not much defending went down. That meanstreak (not shady cheap shop) is missing.

I think they're mentality soft in the fact that they can't put teams away yet. They have struggled with tightening the grip around the throat and killing the opponent. They had opportunities to put BYU away and they failed. The defense had opportunities to shut them down, but lacked consistent playmaking. Not saying it can't change, but that confidence of going in KNOWING you're walking out with a win isn't there.

With all the suspensions and the players leaving/booted off team, the culture Riley is creating is a work in progress.

Agreed. I really think they're getting there with Riley.

I don't know that they'll ever be mean, nasty sumbitches ready to crack skulls under Riley, but I think it's equally obvious we NEVER would have under Bo. His teams were extremely mentally fragile, and he was petulant moreso than funneling his passion into anything useful.

Agreed. I really think they're getting there with Riley.

I don't know that they'll ever be mean, nasty sumbitches ready to crack skulls under Riley, but I think it's equally obvious we NEVER would have under Bo. His teams were extremely mentally fragile, and he was petulant moreso than funneling his passion into anything useful.

One game in, and losing at home, on the opener, with the streak on the line this team didn't crack. That's a plus. Under Bo, most losses were predicated with some kick in the nuts shot that sent them spiraling down.

IIRC, Collins after the game was asked how the staff was on the sidelines and he said "composed". When asked if that was different than under the previous staff, he said he wasn't going to answer. Now composed doesn't mean tough, but you can't be tough if you are freaking out. Bo had 7 years. Riley deserves his time as well.

• Fire 1

Bo's players, I think played scared that they would make a mistake. I didn't see any of the young men getting berated on the sidelines, Saturday. It looks like the players were even showing support to each other, when they got beat on a play. Something's changing.

Miami game will show what type of team we really have. So far I like the way this team seems, to have no quit in it. I see nothing [soft] about this team.

GBR!!!

Any questions of toughness on this team, of which there are many, can be directed to Mark "Bo" Pelini c/o Youngstown State Athletic Department and his patty cake defensive style and "run in front of them and try to stay in their way long enough for our AMAZING backs to get by you" OL technique.

Toughness must be built, and it won't happen in one game. I think Banker's defense is going to be tough as nails, I hope Cav can get the lineman there. A nasty streak, as we have called it, starts in the offensive line. Those guys have to be mean as hell.

I guess i dont see the point in questioning every poster who questions what happened in the last game. Even if we would of won there would of been questions. They did look weaker, they still drew a ton of penalties, Tommy still looks frazzled in the pocket under pressure. There are alot of questions out there and your right they cant be answered after one game. But to be dickbags to the people asking those questions is pretty stupid to me.

• Fire 1

I guess Riley's personality leads me to believe it will be hard to develop a team with a real nastiness to it, but perhaps that's a misconception. If it instead has more to do with the sum of the parts of the coaching staff, we're in pretty good shape.

Cav is a hardass. Banker and Hughes both seem like to the point, no-nonsense guys. Bray brings tons of energy- dude could probably suit up and play. Ditto with Williams.

Lots of energy and loads of experience, this staff has. Riley doesn't seem the type to micromanage either. Perhaps we'll see the influence of those positions coaches show through with time.