Secondary play...

BIG ERN

Davie (Sr) Started all 13 games last year
Cockrell (Sr) Played in all 13 games, started 6
Gerry (Jr) Started all 13 games

Kalu (So) Played in all 13 games, started 2

This group was #4 IN THE NATION in passing defense last season. I am tired of hearing how much talent we don't have back there. This 'scheme' and coaching is not working for this group.

• #1 overall in opponent's QB completion %
  • Only allowed 168 yards passing/game

I get that we couldn't stop the run game last season, but this isn't the point I am making. We act like we have all 4 new starters as DBs when this clearly isn't the case. 4 games now and nothing has changed yet.

• Fire 7

This group was #4 IN THE NATION in passing defense last season. I am tired of hearing how much talent we don't have back there. This 'scheme' and coaching is not working for this group.

With Randy Gregory pressuring QBs.

Let's say you've been driving a big ol' Harley around for 7 years. One day, someone comes and swaps it out for a crotchrocket. I bet it'd take a little bit of time to adjust.

With Randy Gregory pressuring QBs.

Let's say you've been driving a big ol' Harley around for 7 years. One day, someone comes and swaps it out for a crotchrocket. I bet it'd take a little bit of time to adjust.

I don't see Michgan having any problems adjusting. I get that we wouldn't look sharp, but this is down right terrible. Making QBs look like Tom Brady

IF you cannot get pressure you have to have help over the top. Common sense football. Adjust is apart of coaching.

• Fire 1

We now have the worst secondary in the country. Indiana was 128th last week, but since they held Wake Forest to 245 yards, we passed them.

We are giving up 380 passing yards per game.
Worst in the nation. We're worst in the nation at plays over 20 yards passing (hint, not the LB's).

But please, tell me how it's not the scheme, and it's the players.

• Fire 5

That also gave up the most pass plays of 20+ yards in the Big 10 last year. I feel our pass defense would've been a lot worse last year if teams couldn't run at will against us

I am not saying we need Bo back, but if he did one thing great - he almost always stopped QBs. It was the RBs he struggled with.

Maybe we don't have the horses to run Banker's scheme, and if that's the case, Banker needs to adjust the scheme to better fit his players. Something that Riley said they were going to do when they came here. Something that we've seen from the offense, but have yet to see from the defense.

Now, we're going into B1G play which has more teams who are comfortable running the football; teams who have offensive philosophies that play into the strength of our defense. That doesn't mean they're going to not throw and I don't doubt many of these teams are looking at Nebraska film and saying "We should throw it more, our running game be damned."

Sadly there really is not excuse for the awful secondary play by NU. We can again say the run defense was good but really how much did SO.MISS try to run. We seem to say to every offense we line up against: "Ok, let's see if you can pass it for over 400 yards again this week?" Dare ya! Double dare ya! Triple dare ya! Uh! Well, bet you can't do that again?! Hmm. Guess you did. Well, we are going to just keep playing the odds you will eventually drop the balls or they will be overthrown. It is funny that a Head Coach who so strongly believes in the passing game and the gaining of 'chunks' of yards 15 to 25 yards at a time, is so willing to gamble that his opponent can't do exactly what he wants to do.

You also would think that with as much passing as we do ourselves, we would have plenty of opportunities to practice pass defense. We are being killed by the very same plays that we are hurting our opponents with. Penalties anyone? If the rest of the season plays out as these first four games, we will set all sorts of NCAA penalty records by our team and our opponent! Why?

What are you going to do, defend the pass or defend the run? I wish we could do both.

Gave up 11 yards on the ground today and got a few sacks. Dialed up some corner blitzes.

But 450 yards in the air is 100 too, too much. Even against a team like USM that has a pretty good passing game.