Chatelain: What now, Huskers?

Saunders

Also, a new coach at this point will be instant revival....You come into a program after this dumpster fire and things can only go up. He wouldn't be in the shadows of seven consecutive 9 win seasons. He would be coming into a program that has lost its identity and is coming off a 3-9 season. You can only go up. Also, if he is younger, I would be more comfortable giving him some time to turn things around.

Nebraska was a consistent mid 20-30 recruiting class each year, they had 7 consecutive 9 win seasons...This 40+ year experiecne coach did not inherit a terrible team. He should have upgraded from what he had at Oregon State. But you look at OSU and see that after 10+ years of coaching there the guy has left the cupboard bare in Corvallis, and this new coach is geetting together a great recruiting class. Beaver fans, even with their terrible season have hope because of their new coach is showing improvements.

No excuse for Nebraska to be THIS bad. No excuse for a coach with this much experience to get completely outcoached in every loss.

Lets not forget we barely beat Southern Miss as well. This thing somehow could have been even worse.

Riley needs to go. Hope he retires since he is such a nice guy.

I';ve said it many times before. I dont see what is so wrong with coming out and publically admitting your mistake and bad hire, and move on. Looks better than trying to cover up this ugly mess and trying to ride it out hoping it gets better.

I am also sure there is some booster out there well ready to help contribute to the buyout of Riley if we need to go that way.

Obviously those aren't the two options. Chatelain, as usual, is a complete flipping moron.

Fire the AD. That must be done. He has zero credibility at this point. I don't see how he can function as a fundraiser at this point, for example. Bring in a guy who can run a fair assessment on the program.

However, if NU finishes 3-9, fire Riley immediately. Sort out the new hire during the missed bowl season.

Fool me once, shame on you, pull another Callahan "extension," shame on Husker Nation.

I've been mad as hell all season but I've tried to hold back on the fire the coaches talk. Today was the last straw however, Purdue scored more points than they have on their previous 4 conference games COMBINED! For all the people that say its on the players and that they're not giving it their all take a look at this coaching staff. The coaches have given up, just listen to the comments by langsdorf and cavanaugh lately, they refuse to look at what they're doing wrong and fix it, look at Riley's emotion on the sidelines they have all checked out. This job is a pay check to them and nothing else. It is horrible to fire a coach after one season and be paying off two coaches buyouts but you have to get rid of these coaches. Fire the AD fire the coaching staff and start over and get some people here who understand the culture of Nebraska football

A $1 million buyout is part of Mike Riley's contract as Nebraska head football coach.

Details of the five-year contract were obtained Wednesday.

Riley's base salary is set at $2.7 million, and will increase by $100,000 increments to $3.1 million over the course of five years.

If Riley takes another coaching job, Nebraska would be owed $1 million. Bo Pelini's buyout was $250,000.

If terminated, Riley will be guaranteed a monthly payment of $170,000 through the term of his contract (Pelini will get $150,000). Both amounts would be reduced should the coach find another job.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/riley-contract-includes-million-buyout/article_baf3a9d7-97c6-52aa-af24-96ec7457b6ec.html

Ow. Chewing on two big buyouts for a few years would hurt. I see a lot of people here who say to open up the checkbook; are they contributing? I'd be in favor of getting rid of Riley, but I ain't paying for it. You'd better have a big booster or two buying into that, and how many times can you go to that well?

Also not sure who you get if you send the signal that a bad start can end your job. Even if you are sure it is justified, a prospective coach may have second thoughts. On the other hand, the longer it stays bad, the tougher it is to recover.

A $1 million buyout is part of Mike Riley's contract as Nebraska head football coach.

Details of the five-year contract were obtained Wednesday.

Riley's base salary is set at $2.7 million, and will increase by $100,000 increments to $3.1 million over the course of five years.

If Riley takes another coaching job, Nebraska would be owed $1 million. Bo Pelini's buyout was $250,000.

If terminated, Riley will be guaranteed a monthly payment of $170,000 through the term of his contract (Pelini will get $150,000). Both amounts would be reduced should the coach find another job.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/riley-contract-includes-million-buyout/article_baf3a9d7-97c6-52aa-af24-96ec7457b6ec.html

Ow. Chewing on two big buyouts for a few years would hurt. I see a lot of people here who say to open up the checkbook; are they contributing? I'd be in favor of getting rid of Riley, but I ain't paying for it. You'd better have a big booster or two buying into that, and how many times can you go to that well?

Also not sure who you get if you send the signal that a bad start can end your job. Even if you are sure it is justified, a prospective coach may have second thoughts. On the other hand, the longer it stays bad, the tougher it is to recover.

the buyouts are expensive but I have a hard time believing the athletic department is hurting for cash. TV money is kicking in soon and when they renegotiate the deal it could mean as much as 40 million per team. Also how much money would they loose from missing bowl games? Or having a fan base that stops investing in the team?

When the levee breaks, you do something about it. You don't sit around and wait and hope things will get better on their own.

And as far a Nebraska football goes, the levee has broken, on Hurricane Katrina levels.

Riley has lost this team, and once that happens, it's nearly impossible for a coach to get them back. The spirit of this team has been amputated, and the only way to revive it is through CHANGE.

Everyone knows that I'm a huge fan of Mark Richt and Jim Tressel, but the more I read about Herman, the more I like him.

Houston vs. Vandy on ESPN2 after Clemson game. I think I've watched some of one Houston game this year. I'm going to start watching them more.

All of these people ranting and raving about the checkbook need to get a clue. This is a major D-1 university with plenty of $$. Other similar schools are able to pay big-name coaches, so why can't we?

One thing is for sure: SOMEONE is going to give Herman a big-$ deal after this season. If we want him, we better strike while the seat... errrr iron... is hot.

All of these people ranting and raving about the checkbook need to get a clue. This is a major D-1 university with plenty of $$. Other similar schools are able to pay big-name coaches, so why can't we?

One thing is for sure: SOMEONE is going to give Herman a big-$ deal after this season. If we want him, we better strike while the seat... errrr iron... is hot.

Watched Clemson tonight. Announcers talking at Venables possibly getting some big time offers. He said he has it great at Clemson. Great program and gets paid WELL.

NU needs to get a clue. You want to win, you pay big money.

I don't see a point in giving Riley a pass even if he cleans house. He's the problem. These are "his guys." He hired them and he's not known to fire assistants. Continuity is great when your program is winning.

I kind of agree, I don't really buy into the idea of purging assistants and keeping the head man. He's the Captain, it's his ship. If you want wholesale changes, why not just get rid of the hand man too?

I say get rid of MR now. Miami fired Golden. This is unacceptable. Name an interim HC, and get a great HC as soon as possible. Send SE the door at the same time if he made this hire. I still don't understand how SE is allowed to choose the HC without input from others.

NU doesn't need a name or a "CEO type."

NU needs a Briles type. An innovator. Recruiting is recruiting. NU will recruit about the same no matter what. We need a coach who is dynamic to win.

Say what you will about Bo, but he knew D. Was he perfect? Of course not. No coach ever is. TO's offenses laid eggs on occasion. But it's about probabilities.

The situation is what it is. Sitting back and hoping it gets better won't make it better. As for those who say that "no coach will come here", you know that a good up and coming coach, Herman and/or Fuente, with the right pay and contract aren't turning NU down to stay at freaking Memphis or Houston. As I've stated many times, Mark Richt is likely looking for a fresh start at this point as well, and he's an excellent recruiter and championship-winning coach with Nebraska ties.

If Riley is fired, it will be hard to get a big name hired here. Several candidates that have been mentioned is unrealistic. The only people I see that the fan base could get behind are guys like Frost, Troy Calhoun, Ken Niumatalolo from Navy, etc. We just might have to settle on finding a guy that would be a lower pay grade, why not Lance Leipold? Current HC @ Buffalo. He did lead Wisconsin-Whitewater to 5 Division III championships and runners-up in 2008. Since 2007, Leipold has been the most successful coach statistically than any other coach today.

• Reached 100 victories faster than any coach in NCAA history. The previous mark of 108 games was set by Gil Dobie in 1921
  • Won NCAA Division III National Football Championship in 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, and 2014 and were runners-up in 2008
  • A .921 career winning percentage prior to accepting HC job at Buffalo
  • Boasts a 34-1 career Division III playoff record

He is known as a rising star in the coaching ranks with an overall record of 113-10.

Coaching career:

1987 Wisconsin-Whitewater (QB)

1988 Wisconsin-Whitewater (WR)

1989 Doane (assistant)

1990 Wisconsin-Whitewater (assistant)

1991-1993 Wisconsin (GA)

1994-2000 Nebraska-Omaha (assistant)

2001-2003 Nebraska (assistant)

2004-2006 Nebraska-Omaha (AHC/OC)

2007-2014 Wisconsin-Whitewater (HC)

2015 Buffalo (HC)

WHAT DO YOU DO?

Nebraska basically has two options: Fire the athletic director now, then the coach at the end of the season, as it did in 2007. Or ride this thing out. Those are the options.

Your heart says clean house, right? Start over. You can’t stand another Saturday like this. I don’t blame you one bit.

But what does your head say? Practically speaking, Nebraska has no choice but to endure this disaster for three more weeks. Hope like heck that Riley can make the proper offseason decisions to turn it around in 2016.

That means a significant roster purge. That means a hard look at his closest assistant coaches. That means stricter discipline.

What about Shawn Eichorst? I can’t imagine his email feedback will be “90 percent positive,” as he insisted a few weeks ago. The A.D. is on thinner ice than Riley, no doubt. He better schmooze every booster he can find, millionaire or not.

What about the fan base? Nebraska's national reputation is stained too deep to clean. Memorial Stadium could be a zombie-zone in the second half against Michigan State and Iowa.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mad-chatter-what-now-huskers/article_6e73530a-800e-11e5-9e23-4fde294409e9.html

Those aren't the only options. Fire the AD now and have the new one tell the coach what kind of assistants he needs to look for before the start of next season.........i.e...new OL coach, new DC, new OC, new DB coach, etc...

You know I am not a huge Dirk fan, but at this point he is right. Does anyone think MR might say at the end of the season, " I am not up to this" and he will resign if they give him a decent buy out. The fire isn't there, he is just not up to it. Retire hang out with the grand kids and call it a bad dream.

Then Fire SE that lawyer prick

the first part at least gave me a laugh. there is no way in hell that riley quits and sez "I am not up to this" and resigns if they give him a decent buy out. he would never think this about himself, his agent would never let him do something so stupid, and you can bet his wife wouldn't let him. it is a simple calculation. Riley knows that if if he stays and makes them eventually fire him, he gets to throw more money on the pile. riley's health is good so there won't be a jerry kill repeat. he will stay as long as the administration (along with the boosters) want him to. these are the people stuck with the bill.