zoogs

QB Recruiting - Past & Present

2009 we landed 4 star Texas QB Cody Green.

2010 we landed 4 star Florida QB Brion Carnes.

2011 we landed 4 star Texas QB Jamal Turner.

2012 we landed 4 star Texas QB Tommy Armstrong.

2013 we landed 4 star California QB Johnny Stanton.

2014 we landed 4 star California QB Zack Darlington

This stat alone should tell people all they need to know why the last staff is gone now.

It should also explain why Tommy has struggled so much....

• Upvote 1

With the other QBs that were recruited, many times they were the lone big QB recruit in a class or on even on campus. Putting all the hopes on that one player is going to back fire. However, when was the last time we had multiple QBs of this type and caliber on campus at the same time in consecutive classes.

2009 we landed 4 star Texas QB Cody Green. 4 star

2010 we landed 4 star Florida QB Brion Carnes. 3 star .8634 rating

2011 we landed 4 star Texas QB Jamal Turner. 4 star and yes, he did play QB in HS. But, I think we were one of the few recruiting him as a QB and he is even listed on 247 as a WR.

2012 we landed 4 star Texas QB Tommy Armstrong. 4 star

2013 we landed 4 star California QB Johnny Stanton. 4 star

2014 we landed 4 star California QB Zack Darlington and AJ Bush. Darlington 3 star .8737 AJ Bush 3 star .8044 (that's almost a 2 star)

Multiple QBs of this type? Never. But of this caliber? Well, we got highly rated quarterbacks that were at the top of our board pretty much every year.

Looking at 247.

So, from above, our recruiting has been at best spotty. The best situation we had in these years were Tommy and Johnny coming in consecutive years.

And, yes, the word "type" is important in my statement. Meaning, QBs that the rest of the world were all recruiting as top QBs and are well known for being able to deliver the ball accurately....etc.

I'm not really a follower of recruiting except for the Huskers, casually.

Is it normal to land 2 good QB recruits in the same year? You're implying that it is by saying the above is at best spotty. To me it looks pretty good.

Really???

Green - good

Cranes- not heavily recruited 3 star. Huskers got excited because of who his uncle was.

Turner- not heavily recruited as a QB

Armstrong -good

Stanton - good

Darlington and Bush - not impressive as QBs.

With the other QBs that were recruited, many times they were the lone big QB recruit in a class or on even on campus. Putting all the hopes on that one player is going to back fire. However, when was the last time we had multiple QBs of this type and caliber on campus at the same time in consecutive classes.

2009 we landed 4 star Texas QB Cody Green. 4 star

2010 we landed 4 star Florida QB Brion Carnes. 3 star .8634 rating

2011 we landed 4 star Texas QB Jamal Turner. 4 star and yes, he did play QB in HS. But, I think we were one of the few recruiting him as a QB and he is even listed on 247 as a WR.

2012 we landed 4 star Texas QB Tommy Armstrong. 4 star

2013 we landed 4 star California QB Johnny Stanton. 4 star

2014 we landed 4 star California QB Zack Darlington and AJ Bush. Darlington 3 star .8737 AJ Bush 3 star .8044 (that's almost a 2 star)

Multiple QBs of this type? Never. But of this caliber? Well, we got highly rated quarterbacks that were at the top of our board pretty much every year.

Looking at 247.

So, from above, our recruiting has been at best spotty. The best situation we had in these years were Tommy and Johnny coming in consecutive years.

And, yes, the word "type" is important in my statement. Meaning, QBs that the rest of the world were all recruiting as top QBs and are well known for being able to deliver the ball accurately....etc.

Most of Tommy's offers weren't at QB, he talked about it before the Southern Miss game.

I'm sorry but if anyone thinks Pelini's staff did a nice job recruiting QB's, they are crazy. Bo never recruited a QB. Always an athlete that he thought could throw.

Darlington was the best one by far and then he got concussion and wasn't the same.

I'm sorry but if anyone thinks Pelini's staff did a nice job recruiting QB's, they are crazy. Bo never recruited a QB. Always an athlete that he thought could throw.

Darlington was the best one by far and then he got concussion and wasn't the same.

If you look at numbers in high school, Darlington is actually one of Bo's worst quarterback recruits as far as throwing the ball versus running it.

If you look at numbers in high school, Darlington is actually one of Bo's worst quarterback recruits as far as throwing the ball versus running it.

He damn near missed his entire senior season! You know, the season you usually show the most impressive numbers...most recruiting analysts say he would've undoubtedly been a big time recruit had that not happened. The concussion that is.

Really???

Green - good

Cranes- not heavily recruited 3 star. Huskers got excited because of who his uncle was.

Armstrong -good

Stanton - good

I think Turner was a top 10 mobile QB recruit. I looked it up a couple years ago. I remember being excited about Darlington.

You didn't answer my question.

Really???

Green - good

Armstrong -good

Stanton - good

I think Turner was a top 10 mobile QB recruit. I looked it up a couple years ago. I remember being excited about Darlington.

I don't expect to get two in one class. Not sure what your pint is with the question.

Some years we didn't even get one.

Just a personal opinion here, but a guy like Gebbia is going to be more of a fine tune his skills at QB vs a guy like Tommy who was a project at QB.

Rileys staff finds a guy they like, and shapes him into a better player. Bo's staff found an athlete and spent the entire time trying to mold and shaoe and influence and change them into what they wanted.

I like the direction we are headed with POB and Gebbia.

• Upvote 1

Just a personal opinion here, but a guy like Gebbia is going to be more of a fine tune his skills at QB vs a guy like Tommy who was a project at QB.

Rileys staff finds a guy they like, and shapes him into a better player. Bo's staff found an athlete and spent the entire time trying to mold and shaoe and influence and change them into what they wanted.

Completely agree

Completely agree

Exactly the point I was trying to make, I'm just not as smaht as you is.

When I watch POB's film I think he's about 3 years away from being NFL ready.

With Gebbia I think he's about 5 years away. Not as polished as O'Brien, but still a probable Pro prospect.

Outside of maybe Cody Green, I never thought any of that with any of Bo's QBs. Green's develepment was just pretty much non-existant. I know Riley and Langsdorf can develop QBs.

• Upvote 1

When I watch POB's film I think he's about 3 years away from being NFL ready.

With Gebbia I think he's about 5 years away. Not as polished as O'Brien, but still a probable Pro prospect.

Outside of maybe Cody Green, I never thought any of that with any of Bo's QBs. Green's develepment was just pretty much non-existant. I know Riley and Langsdorf can develop QBs.

In fairness, Gebbia is a junior whereas POB was a senior. High school boys change physically and mentally a great deal as they age. One year of aging in the teenage years is about like two years once you are in your twenties, in my opinion.

The last staff did fine with landing solid-rated QB recruits, but BRB points out some legitimate issues. There were misses, decommits, injuries, etc. The biggest recruiting win of the Bo era at QB played baseball instead. Others like Stanton or Green didn't really pan out.

All of those things could continue to happen, but one thing I'm really happy about is that they're going after guys with maybe more of a pass focus, and they're really intent on coaching them up as QBs, not as runners. That seems like a better idea and should offer some protection against an offense where a QB is an exciting runner but limits what the offense can do.

• Upvote 1

The last staff did fine with landing solid-rated QB recruits, but BRB points out some legitimate issues. There were misses, decommits, injuries, etc. The biggest recruiting win of the Bo era at QB played baseball instead. Others like Stanton or Green didn't really pan out.

All of those things could continue to happen, but one thing I'm really happy about is that they're going after guys with maybe more of a pass focus, and they're really intent on coaching them up as QBs, not as runners. That seems like a better idea and should offer some protection against an offense where a QB is an exciting runner but limits what the offense can do.

Spot on. The previous staff's failing was in not developing quarterbacks well, and possibly/probably also in focusing on project athletes over throwers. My only point is that their failing was not in recruiting good, highly rated quarterbacks that they wanted.

• Upvote 1

What years are those?

Carnes

Turner ( may have been great but have my doubts )

Darlington Bush

I'm not sure how you can say those years we landed a really good QB recruit.

From a pure recruiting standpoint...

Carnes: That year we got a recruiting win in Tyler Gabbert, who (stunningly....) gave us the short shrift late in the game. Watson did a good job scrambling late; the Huskers closed in quickly on a few solid late options, including I believe Kain Colter. Carnes himself was a good pull.

Turner: That year Turner was one of two big-time recruits we had at the position. But Starling chose baseball, and Turner was moved immediately to WR. Watson was also fired.

Darlington: Wasn't he also a pretty significant recruit? He just got that injury.

I think it does show some disconnect in what the staff was going for though. High profile recruits that many schools were projecting at other positions...Green, Turner, Starling, Dillman. Carnes and Darlington themselves ended up at WR. Somehow we recruited a bunch of nicely rated QBs while also possibly not really filling the QB room with QBs at all. And that's clearly changing with Lee, POB, and Gebbia since Riley took over.

From a pure recruiting standpoint...

Carnes: That year we got a recruiting win in Tyler Gabbert, who (stunningly....) gave us the short shrift late in the game. Watson did a good job scrambling late; the Huskers closed in quickly on a few solid late options, including I believe Kain Colter. Carnes himself was a good pull.

Turner: That year Turner was one of two big-time recruits we had at the position. But Starling chose baseball, and Turner was moved immediately to WR. Watson was also fired.

Darlington: Wasn't he also a pretty significant recruit? He just got that injury.

I think it does show some disconnect in what the staff was going for though. High profile recruits that many schools were projecting at other positions...Green, Turner, Starling, Dillman. Carnes and Darlington themselves ended up at WR. Somehow we recruited a bunch of nicely rated QBs while also possibly not really filling the QB room with QBs at all. And that's clearly changing with Lee, POB, and Gebbia since Riley took over.

When Darlington committed he was a big get over tOSU. That was pre-concussion. Carnes was also fairly highly rated as a 4 star on a few services. He was committed early to USF and then decommited after they fired their coach IIRC, but that was late in the cycle and many teams had a QB already.

Tommy does not limit the offense with his ability, just his decision making.

I would agree that Tommy has adequate throwing and running ability to be a tremendous QB but his decision making (which is part of both running and passing ability in my opinion) has often been lacking. There are always things a QB can do better - even the best of them should admit that - but Tommy has been average as a thrower and well above average as a runner. He has NOT been good enough to win a championship YET. Admittedly he has not been on a championship caliber team yet. This fall may see that change as I believe there will be, with lots of good luck and very little bad luck, a chance this fall to make a run at the Big Ten championship. The title game will be exceedingly difficult, particularly if we play the Buckeyes (we have about a one in six chance in that matchup). But I believe strongly we can get to the game provided we play our best ball at the most critical times. We have to win the turnover margin this year and reduce penalties about a third.

Tommy is terrific, for sure. I don't think he really limits what the offense can do (although it's not a crazy idea that Nebraska is better off to run 60+% of the time with him at the helm), but I guess what I mean is his physical gifts outstrip his command of QBing. In his case, I think it could be a different story if the staff had gotten more time with him, whereas some of the other guys would've been real projects. Including their final QB commit, Dillman.

Really???

Green - good

Armstrong -good

Stanton - good

I don't expect to get two in one class. Not sure what your pint is with the question.

There wasn't a point to the question besides wanting to know the answer to it. The reason I wanted an answer to the question is because I thought you were implying in the quote below that it's normal for teams to land 2 QBs.

I disagree with that somewhat. I think his limitations as a passer, including his difficulty with short passes and low completion percentage are ability issues. He's a great athlete with a good arm, but he's not a natural quarterback.

• Upvote 2

Ok, let us put this Pelini QB dilemma to bed already. The problem with the last regime was the inability to develop, and properly assess quarterbacks. The best QB they had was not even considered a qb when he was recruited, that alone is telling on the overall assessment of who they were going after in qb recruits. Green was awful and looked like a deer in head lights every time he took a snap. Lee, was not even suppose to be a starter. I want to know why on earth did the last staff not even consider recruiting a kid who was a natural passer? we had a running game, all we needed was someone to manage the offense and not put us in terrible situations like T magic.

I disagree with that somewhat. I think his limitations as a passer, including his difficulty with short passes and low completion percentage are ability issues. He's a great athlete with a good arm, but he's not a natural quarterback.

Really? When you watch him throw multiple passes per game that could be considered 50:50 balls or into double- or triple-coverage, you think that is on his physical ability? I am not talking sole about his intercepts. In fact, there are times throwout each game that a receiver will make a great catch to make up for an extremely poor decision by Tommy (e.g., DPE's TD vs Minnesota, Moore's TD vs Rutgers). The throws look catchable for the receiver, so you can't say Tommy did not have the arm talent to make those throws. Still, you have to question why he throws into coverage to begin with.

A couple of thoughts.

Aren't Darlington and Bush from Florida? Because that is what it says on 247.

Nebraska got the #3 and #1 QB from the state of California in consecutive years. That is very badass.

A couple of thoughts.

Nebraska got the #3 and #1 QB from the state of California in consecutive years. That is very badass.

Darlington, yes. Bush, no. AJ is from Georgia.

• Upvote 1

A couple of thoughts.

Darlington, yes. Bush, no. AJ is from Georgia.

Yeah. I knew AJ Bush was from GA. I didn't edit my post when i was typing it.

Bubba Starling, by all reports, was likely the best QB recruit Nebraska has had in decades. Of course, we were likely the only top program to offer seriously as almost everyone, including I am fairly sure, Nebraska people, KNEW he was going to play baseball so his offer and signing should not be counted. The only way we were likely to actually get him is if he somehow was badly hurt in some fashion that ruined his baseball prospects but not his football (not sure outside of some kind of eye injury making his depth perception so poor he could not possibly hit a pitch with a tennis racket or something.

Tommy Armstrong and Taylor Martinez were obviously the best QB recruits before POB since at least Callahan and maybe longer. (In my opinion). We had decent QBs as well but athletically they are the best. Neither, even after having huge statistical careers as QBs in Lincoln, would be considered a great QB recruit even after their careers. That tells a great deal about the lack of QB recruiting. Time will tell but I think POB and Gebbia will prove to be fine quarterbacks (being players clearly playing in the right position for their skill sets).

Starling I think was another one who was a physical talent but a passing project. IIRC, the comaprisons were to Jake Locker -- really strong and fast, and Locker was even a first round pick! But far lesser athletes than Locker were crisper college QBs, IMO.

Taylor Martinez was an ATH/DB recruit.

I think Tommy, Johnny, Zack Darlington -- those three guys in I believe consecutive years were a real high point in QB recruiting. And Tommy has panned out quite well.

Bubba Starling, by all reports, was likely the best QB recruit Nebraska has had in decades.

He may have been the highest rated QB recruit in a while, but he was a run first QB who struggled throwing. He would have had to put a lot of work in to become a competent passer in college. And looking at how our QBs developed throwing the ball under Beck/Ganz, I wouldn't have had a lot of confidence in that happening.

His combined Jr/Sr HS stats (22 games) were

Passing: 54.9% comp 101.2 ypg 27 tds 11 int

Rushing: 12.7 ypc 154.6 ypg 44 tds

And I'm being fair to him including his Jr stats. His Sr year he had a 47% comp, threw for 70 ypg and a 7/5 td/int ratio.

I'm not even sure why people even bring up recruits like Starling. The chance of him ever coming to Nebraska were so small he might as well have committed to somewhere else. The guy is an amazing athlete and I would have loved to have him on our team. But, to include him in discussions about recruiting success is kind of meaningless.

I'm not even sure why people even bring up recruits like Starling. The chance of him ever coming to Nebraska were so small he might as well have committed to somewhere else. The guy is an amazing athlete and I would have loved to have him on our team. But, to include him in discussions about recruiting success is kind of meaningless.

I don't think it is meaningless. we are talking about the ability of the coaches to get players to commit. And then how it panned out.

I don't think it is meaningless. we are talking about the ability of the coaches to get players to commit. And then how it panned out.

OK....but is it really meaningful to include someone who was never going to come here to begin with?

By including him, you put his recruitment on the same level as POB and Gebbia. I'm just not feeling that his influence on the program is anywhere close to those two. But.....he did commit....I'll give you that.

What years are those?

It looks like Burrow is #2 QB at OSU and had a good spring game. At least we'll get to see him play the next few years... against us. :steam

I believe if Starling had come to Lincoln, he would have been a GREAT QB and would have led us to championship games with his outstanding athleticism. He may not have been a great passer (perhaps at best 'average' for Nebraska as a passer) but he would have been a superb QB in a run and option oriented attack. Of course, as I said, his signing is NOT an indication of the high level of QB recruiting because he was not really serious as a commit. He used his scholarship offer from Nebraska to negotiate a little bit higher baseball paycheck but he was bound to be a KC Royal. I believe other schools recognized this. No doubt the Kansas and Missouri schools would have liked to have him but recognized there was not realistic hope. Nebraska was his "Plan D" option only. Wish he would have come and I think I would have made the offer and stuck with him simply because he was such an outstanding athlete and in my view could have been a real difference maker to Nebraska (more so than anywhere else).

I believe if Starling had come to Lincoln, he would have been a GREAT QB and would have led us to championship games with his outstanding athleticism. He may not have been a great passer (perhaps at best 'average' for Nebraska as a passer) but he would have been a superb QB in a run and option oriented attack. Of course, as I said, his signing is NOT an indication of the high level of QB recruiting because he was not really serious as a commit. He used his scholarship offer from Nebraska to negotiate a little bit higher baseball paycheck but he was bound to be a KC Royal. I believe other schools recognized this. No doubt the Kansas and Missouri schools would have liked to have him but recognized there was not realistic hope. Nebraska was his "Plan D" option only. Wish he would have come and I think I would have made the offer and stuck with him simply because he was such an outstanding athlete and in my view could have been a real difference maker to Nebraska (more so than anywhere else).

News flash. Bubba was about as raw as they come and probably wouldn't have fared any better than anybody we'd have now. Go ahead and look up his passing stats from high school.

Here's some context for QB recruiting in other places:

From 2012-15, SEC teams signed 31 four- or five-star quarterbacks, according to 247Sports. So far, only one of those recruits turned into a very important player who will finish his career at the same school: Tennessee's Joshua Dobbs. Highly recruited quarterbacks like Kyler Murray, Kyle Allen, Kenny Hill, Will Grier, Maty Mauk, Hayden Rettig and Zeke Pike have come and gone through the SEC.

Over the same period, ACC teams signed 16 four- or five-star quarterbacks. As of now, four of them look like they're elite and will stay at their school the entire time: Winston, Kaaya, Watson and Francois. Jackson was a three-star recruit. Another top ACC quarterback recruit, Chad Kelly, started at Clemson and now is at Ole Miss after going to junior college.

The hit-rate scoreboard on these quarterback recruits: 25 percent for the ACC, 6 percent for the SEC.

Link

Also, in this past NFL draft the top three QBs taken were from North Dakota State, Cal and Memphis.

In 2014, the first five draft picks were from Central Florida, Louisville, Fresno State, Eastern Illinois and Manziel.

Recruiting, developing and evaluating QBs is a pretty inexact science.

• Upvote 1

News flash. Bubba was about as raw as they come and probably wouldn't have fared any better than anybody we'd have now. Go ahead and look up his passing stats from high school.

You can believe Bubba would've been the savior in one hand, and crap in the other. Let me know which hand fills up faster.

Also, in this past NFL draft the top three QBs taken were from North Dakota State, Cal and Memphis.

In 2014, the five draft picks were from Central Florida, Louisville, Fresno State and Manziel.

YOU HAVE TO DEVELOP YOUR QBS. You can't just recruit fast guys with cannons for arms. You have to redshirt them, teach them, coach them. (Memo to Tim Beck)

I believe those teams know how to do it.

In 2014, the five draft picks were from Central Florida, Louisville, Fresno State and Manziel.

YOU HAVE TO DEVELOP YOUR QBS. You can't just recruit fast guys with cannons for arms. You have to redshirt them, teach them, coach them. (Memo to Tim Beck)

The point is where are Alabama, LSU, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida, USC, UCLA, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas, etc.? All the places that get the top-rated HS recruits? I don't think it's as easy as some like to make it seem.

Also, how has our current QB guru been at developing TA in the year-and-a-half since he's been here?

yeah....that works until that hot shot 5 star QB quits and leaves after the first year because you made him redshirt and he didn't win the job immediately.

Not a lot of time to develop.

• Upvote 1

I think mattyice hit it on the head. You have to redshirt them and get them into the system and start to coach them early - give them some things to start thinking about before they even get on campus. By the middle of their sophomore year you start to see what you have created. They should be quality starting material by their junior year.

When you take a junior that is already starting and has his foundation in place - it is hard to change a whole lot. Kinda just have to tweak small things and go with what you have.

It is very similar to a college or high school golf team. You want to get a hold of these kids when they are in 7th and 8th grade and give them a strong foundation. When they get to be a starter in HS or college the coach doesn't want to mess with too much - At that point they need them to score.