Random meeting with Coach Mike Riley.

QMany

Did he ask you on your take on the team from a fans perspective or did you talk the teams struggles at all?

I would assume you didnt but very unique take on the real guy that is Mike Riley.

We didn't really address that at all. We mentioned the great win against MSU, but didn't touch on the losses or our take at all. He talked more about where the recruiting trail had taken him that week than the current team or season. I enjoyed the conversation we were having and didn't want to press too hard. We told him we would be at the Iowa game and wished him luck!

Surprised that a coach would stay to watch that much of a game but if that's what it takes to recruit a player.

He had just flown in from Illinois, so I was really surprised he was staying as late as he did. The worst part was that he missed Simmons' two amazing TD receptions!

Did he share anything about how recruiting was going or who the silent commit is?

Patrick O'Brien had signed that day, so he was only candid about him when mentioned. "You're really going to like him in Lincoln." That was about it. I didn't want to pry too much and delve into football, recruiting, or the season. I just let the conversation go where he was comfortable talking and enjoyed.

Good on you, I hate when fans have chance convos with the coaches and try and talk football/get a scoop.

I would have been the same as Q. Kind of hard not to talk something football related with a head football coach though. I just thought he might have let something slip out but didn't necessarily expect Q to share anything that he picked up on regarding specific recruits. More of a TIC question on my part since the silent commit is kind of a mystery.

Recruiting is the name of the game. Him being there, in the rain, staying till the last dog died, is echoing in Simmons's head. He knows he was there for the whole game, took time out of one of the busiest schedules imaginable.

I have never met him, but this is what you hear from anyone that has. Not intimidating, just truly friendly and interested.

Your a lucky man Qmanny. When he gets this thing going, this day will be ten times better.

Thank you for sharing it with the board. I truly want Coach Riley to succeed for Nebraska, but more and more each day for Mike Riley.

• Fire 2

Putting the "hip" in "hip hip hooray!"

I had a pretty awesome first meeting with Coach Riley myself, so I hope you don't mind me horning in (that's a very appropriate pun for this story).

I was in Lincoln to take in another spring practice, but this week there was a coaches' clinic. There must've been 500 coaches from Nebraska and all the surrounding areas there. There was a really cool vibe. You could just sense that there was a passion for and knowledge of the game in the air. I spoke with some of the support staff who are equally as impressive as any coach. If you get a chance to talk to Ryan Gunderson or Andy Vaughn, do it.

The lead speaker was none other than Mack Brown. I knew this day was going to be one to remember. Naturally there was some good-natured ribbing about his presence (one second, everybody chuckles, etc.). Coach Brown comes off as very humble and charismatic guy. He talked for 30 minutes or so about coaching and how Vince Young almost became a "never-was" instead of a guy who trotted Texas to a national title. After he was done, I realized the opportunity I had in front of me and I had to take it.

Riley and Brown were both chatting like old war buddies and I kinda gauged the situation. You know how you don't want to interrupt a conversation so you wait for that lull? I nailed the lull. Fortunate enough to say I spoke to both for a little while and caught up with Riley again as practice winded down. One of the easiest people to talk to who genuinely takes an interest in who you are. Actually made an effort to remember my name (we'll see how long it sticks).

• Fire 4

Great story Q. Thanks for sharing - gives us all insight into MR the man. As frustrating as this year has been and as surprised all of us were on his hiring, I believe all of us want him to succeed and take us back to the top of the pack.

Did you ask or did he mention any surprises during the season - from fan support and NU culture to the differences between Pac 12 and Big 10?