Spring Position Battles - Running Backs

Mavric

I expect all of our running backs to play better than last year and it seems very likely that Ozigbo will get a good chunk of the duty as he has the kind of skills, size, power, block and break etc that Riley would like on the field. I expect Wilbon will be the 'scat back' and if he has the hands to catch some balls out of the back field (screens, swings, etc) he can be dangerous and a difficult guy to tackle one on one. He can make a couple guys miss and turn a 3 yard gain into 20 easily.

Newbs will be fine and seems the general (all arounder) purpose guy that does things OK and if he is getting a bit better at reading the holes and cutting and getting his head and shoulders down and forward and heading up field (not dancing), then he will get his carries. I believe Tre Bryant is going to have the whole package as well and it will be a matter of time (likely a redshirt year unless we see a couple injuries happen) before he become 'the man' and will fill that second spot next to Ozigbo.

This is a little off topic, but I'llpost it up anyway and get ready for the beat down ... again. Last year I posted a video of a Jr High player that was about to enroll at Katy. I was rudly accused of "pimping him out" ... but I was trying to give you guys a heads-up on him. He was brought up to varsity and put on the field when featured RB Kyle Porter (committed to u. of Texas ... yuck) was injured and out for 5 games. Here is how that turned out.

A freshman and he already has offers from Tennessee, Florida and Arkansas

Deondrick also plays wide-out and QB and most likely fits the Mike Riley template for a RB.

Another heads up ... we have another RB the runs a 4.26 40 yd. Timed electronically at the US Army combine in San Antonio last year. Didn't get to play last year ... was a transfer and had to sit out a year and play JV

• Fire 1

This is a little off topic, but I'llpost it up anyway and get ready for the beat down ... again. Last year I posted a video of a Jr High player that was about to enroll at Katy. I was rudly accused of "pimping him out" ... but I was trying to give you guys a heads-up on him. He was brought up to varsity and put on the field when featured RB Kyle Porter (committed to u. of Texas ... yuck) was injured and out for 5 games. Here is how that turned out.

Deondrick also plays wide-out and QB and most likely fits the Mike Riley template for a RB.

Another heads up ... we have another RB the runs a 4.26 40 yd. Timed electronically at the US Army combine in San Antonio last year. Didn't get to play last year ... was a transfer and had to sit out a year and play JV

Seems like a good fit for Washington, since that's where you think Adam Taylor should go. I don't know why you would want Deondrick to come here, I mean Nebraska is where great talent goes to die. Especially with the way our idiot head coach Mike Riley has treated Adam.

http://www.katytrain.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/33300/#Comment_33300

http://www.katytrain.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1832/2016-tigers/p5

• Fire 8

Seems like a good fit for Washington, since that's where you think Adam Taylor should go. I don't know why you would want Deondrick to come here, I mean Nebraska is where great talent goes to die. Especially with the way our idiot head coach Mike Riley has treated Adam.

http://www.katytrain.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/33300/#Comment_33300

http://www.katytrain.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1832/2016-tigers/p5

Dang, some super detective work there. And in response to the Katy fan, who knows with Adam Taylor. None of us have seen a practice so we do not know what is going on. Before jumping to conclusions and kind of sounding like an a**hole, look at it in another perspective. He has been injured a lot of us have suspected it has hampered him, who knows. Maybe, he is just lazy and doesn't put enough effort in for practice I don't know. We all want every player on our team to succeed, but sometimes there are things that hold you back from being the best that you just can't control. Sounds to me like AT is a team player and will do anything the coaches ask for him. That's called a team player right there, I hope he can get rid of his injuries and see the field playing runningback, but lets be real nobody knows besides the coaches as to why he isn't playing. If Riley and company thought he was better he would be playing. It's hard to understand as a fan, but if you saw in practice what they see you would be quick to agree.

• Fire 2

To this point Taylor has failed to crack the 3-deep after 2 different coaching staffs have evaluated him. That seems like an Adam Taylor issue. And the idea that Riley has no use for a power back might seem kind of silly to guys like Imani Cross, Andy Janovich, and likely starter for the 2016 season Devine Ozigbo.

• Fire 4

To this point Taylor has failed to crack the 3-deep after 2 different coaching staffs have evaluated him. That seems like an Adam Taylor issue. And the idea that Riley has no use for a power back might seem kind of silly to guys like Imani Cross, Andy Janovich, and likely starter for the 2016 season Devine Ozigbo.

I'm just glad that Adam Taylor seems to be handling his situation with a bit more maturity than some people on a message board.

• Fire 4

Uhh...

Riley had no use for a power RB and was trying to use a "west coast offense" and Adam got very few meaningful reps in practice and he didn't fit in the box of what Riley wanted in a RB.

Imani Cross: 112 Carries, 451 yards, 6 TD's

Andy Janovich: 42 Carries, 265 yards, 3TD's

Devine Ozigbo: 38 carries, 209 yards, 1TD

Mmmkkkkaayyyyy.

• Fire 2