Spring Position Battles - Running Backs

Mavric

We know more about what Ozigbo brings to the table and he is a "decent back" according to you.

Mikale Wilbon's 2015 stats (after a quick google search): 9 attempts for 35 yards

Yet, if Wilbon isn't our starter in 2016 you won't be excited? Mmkay.....

• Fire 1

We know more about what Ozigbo brings to the table and he is a "decent back" according to you.

Mikale Wilbon's 2015 stats (after a quick google search): 9 attempts for 35 yards

Let it go dude. People have different opinions than you do. It's going to be o.k...

From Riley's past teams, unless there is an amazing player at RB (Steven Jackson) he tends to split carries at RB. He generally likes to have a smaller, quicker receiving threat at RB, and a bigger, power back.

Ozigbo seems like a natural choice as the power back going forward (replacing Cross). The kid is built very thick, and I like how he has more "moves" than Cross did. There were runs last year where the play design would be inside, and Ozigbo was able to bounce it outside for nice gains. That is something that Cross really couldn't do (I'm not trying to criticize Cross).

The coaches like Newby because of his versatility and pass-blocking ability. I hope Newby has a great year, but he concerns me. He rarely gets more out of the play than is blocked, and sometimes he makes a bad cut and gets less than what is there. Wilbon is the wildcard. He looks good on the field, but he must be doing something wrong in practice or in the classroom to never see the field.

• Fire 1

OK we are going to play a little game regarding elite players, pantheons and such. If we start with a pool of elite players, and want to replace one with another on a " first team" it shouldn't matter very much who we switch out for a half, after all it's one elite for another correct?

OK lets start with DT. We have Suh and Parrella in the game, and on the bench we have Rich Glover. OK when we sub Glover in for Suh, not a big deal, right?

OK lets look at Elite Running Back. We have Rozier, Phillips, Calvin Jones, Ahman Green. Which one are you going to be OK taking out and putting Burkhead in for a half?

If you are like me, the answer is NONE.

Burkhead could replace and do well any of the said backs for a half. Is he as good as Rozier? No. Phillips? No. Green? No. Jones? in the ballpark.

The point is the team would have been quite successful with Burkhead carrying the ball. No, he was not elite but certainly would have been in the depth chart. Burkhead would have been a tremendous LB in my view.

I stand corrected in earlier comment where I said David Horne instead. I believe we already had Horne and didn't feel we needed Woodhead. However, perhaps it was Cory Ross who he recruited instead of Danny. I do recall specifically the point was that Woodhead was just too slow and too small for D1 (lol - then Frank recruits Ross - go figure. Ross was much slower and smaller than Woodhead btw. My point remains and still stands. And, as for the Reggie Bush info - I personally knew the hotel manager fo the Lincoln motel where Bush stayed (on both times btw) when he traveled to Lincoln on his own dime to visit and sought a scholarship to play I Back. Both times he was told he could play Safety but just didn't see a scholarship as available for RB spot. So I believe I am correct on this. Of course, Bush would have never admitted it as he had a little self esteem would not have wanted to admit he had been turned down twice. These are my recollections from the time. And finally, Rozier ran 4.45 in the 40 and was in fact the slowest of the starting backfield in '83 with FB Mark Schellen actually the fast in both the 10 and 40s. He certainly was faster than a 4.6.

Let it go dude. People have different opinions than you do. It's going to be o.k...

Ironic advice

• Fire 2

Ironic advice

Lulz. Someone got their panties in a wad when someone expressed an opinion that they didn't like. You won't find me upset about the state of Nebraska football or even by just reading someone's opinion that maybe doesn't jive with mine. I can't say the same for others however...

Likewise

I think wilbon is the best guy we have right now. The reason he isn't playing is two fold. (1) he couldn't learn the offense last year. Never got it down and never knew the assignments like he should. (2) he sucked at pass protection, and you have to have that in this offense.

Isn't that #2 & #3 after off the field issues?

I'm all for him being the starter if he wins it, but that's all on him.

Well his favorite players seem to be backups who don't get much, if any, playing time, so...

Ironic advice

Lulz. Someone got their panties in a wad when someone expressed an opinion that they didn't like. You won't find me upset about the state of Nebraska football or even by just reading someone's opinion that maybe doesn't jive with mine. I can't say the same for others however...

You are acting like a moron.

Classy. State an opinion that isn't popular on here. Simply saying I wasn't stoked by Newby and Ozigbo. Then sit back and watch people lose it. Classic HB sometimes smh.

I think people are confused how you can't be excited about a guy like Ozigbo (who showed a lot of promise for a true freshman) but you can be excited about a guy that was behind him on the depth chart.....

• Fire 2

Ironic advice

You are acting like a moron.

Classy. State an opinion that isn't popular on here. Simply saying I wasn't stoked by Newby and Ozigbo. Then sit back and watch people lose it. Classic HB sometimes smh.

I think people are confused how you can't be excited about a guy like Ozigbo (who showed a lot of promise for a true freshman) but you can be excited about a guy that was behind him on the depth chart.....

I guess I am under the sense that you or whomever are free to like and prefer whomever you want. It's super super simple really.

Based on what we've seen so far from the various RBs in the committee, I'd say there is a good chance the committee approach may continue, unless Ozigbo assumes control and gets the nod as the primary ball carrier. He looked very good in the bowl game and showed he can get some yards in traffic and push the pile. That last yard or even two makes a great deal of difference when it comes to sustaining drives and moving the chains. We need to be able to feel comfortable in getting 4 or 5 yars and not the 2 or 3 we saw too often last year. Being confident that we get effective yardage and create pressure on the defense to bring up the extra defender(s) to stop the runs is the key. If we do, in my view, the passing gets better and we have the offense that Riley is trying to find. Tommy Armstrong can run this offense at a winning level but the question will remain as to whether he can reduce the turnovers and critical mistakes. Interceptions are momentum killers and often spark the opponent and keep them believing they can play with us. We don't have the swagger nor do we instill the fear in our opponents. We can win 11 games this year, in my view, if we find a couple backs that can and do catch several passes per game out of the back, with our starter averaging over 125 yards per game and 6 yards per carry or more, provided the QB completes 55% or better for 200 yards per game with no more than about 1 int every other game. We need our QB to make good decisions and get the ball in the hands of the playmakers and if they are not wide open or in excellent position, then to keep it himself and get positive results. Nothing Earth shattering here, just be a good game manager as we've said and avoid the disaterous 4 plays per game or so that put us in a hole in field position or cost us points.