Brandon Reilly DUI

Glad he didn't hurt himself or someone else. Anyone have a guess as to what his punishment will be?

Reilly and Armstrong connected on some nice passes last year. Again though glad he didn't hurt anyone including himself.

Be interesting to see. Riley doesn't appear to mind suspending guys. At least that's what it looked like last year. I imagine that Riley might wait to see if he is convicted. Or Riley might have an offense chart and punishment on file.

knapplc, on 18 Mar 2016 - 8:39 PM, said:

There's "mistakes kids make" and there's "actions that can kill a handful of people."

This isn't forgetting his homework, or choosing the wrong turn off the interstate. It's 2016, and there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for driving drunk today. There have been DECADES of information drummed into our heads about driving after drinking.

I'm not writing Reilly off and I'm not going to advocate more than a few games' suspension, but this is 100% ignorant, inexcusable, and anyone who even remotely attempts to poo-poo this needs to have their head examined.

He's lucky he didn't kill someone.

This.

• Fire 1

Is there uber in Lincoln yet? In today's world there's no reason to you should ever be in this position.

Yes, the problem is surge-pricing. 10-15 min. rides that may cost $10 at 2:00 p.m. cost $80 at 2:00 a.m. So, it's not the most reasonable option, even though it is certainly (and obviously) better than getting a DUI.
There is Happy Cab which is a free cab service for UNL students.

There's "mistakes kids make" and there's "actions that can kill a handful of people."

This isn't forgetting his homework, or choosing the wrong turn off the interstate. It's 2016, and there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for driving drunk today. There have been DECADES of information drummed into our heads about driving after drinking.

I'm not writing Reilly off and I'm not going to advocate more than a few games' suspension, but this is 100% ignorant, inexcusable, and anyone who even remotely attempts to poo-poo this needs to have their head examined.

He's lucky he didn't kill someone.

Absolutely correct.

and it wont happen again.

Everybody dodged the bullet on this, so that's a positive and the biggest takeaway as far as I am concerned.

Every day I walk to work past a tree with some bark healing over from where a 17 year old kid planted his mom's Chrysler 300. He was trying to get away from a party that was being busted, doing well over 60 mph down a residential street. As the old drinking/driving poster used to say, "If you drive drunk, you will be lucky if it's only a cop that stops you." Surprisingly, that tree which stopped the kid and the Chrysler wasn't much bigger than an apple tree, and it wore a couple of ribbons for a year. It must have been some solid wood.

My friend who I do chapel with at the homeless shelter was the guy the cops picked up to go help break the news to his family. The mom said it couldn't be her son, because he had come home and went straight to bed. Then my friend had to listen to her go from room to room, calling for her son, and each time she entered a different room, her voice got louder and more panicky until after the second time through each room in the house she let out a scream and broke down. Pretty hard for the cops and my friend to witness that, knowing how that Mom's search for her son was going to end.

But as Red_October said, in most cases "it won't happen again"...although in this particular case, why "it won't happen again" is pretty brutal.

We have lots of places like that around Columbus I can point out. The farm gate to the pasture where a kid rolled his car into a bonfire and burned himself up, the intersection with a dip in it where another kid flipped his car and killed his twin brother, the still remaining skid mark on the median that the kid hit and put his three friends and himself at the bottom of Wagner's Lake for almost a month, the cross at the bottom of the hill that the mother religiously changes decorations each and every month for the last four or five years...all places where "it won't happen again", because it can't.

They should take local high school kids on tours of places like those and have them hear from law enforcement about what happened and then from the family members and friends of those who died. Maybe that would make the kids feel less bulletproof and invincible and save some lives.
  • Fire 1

and it wont happen again.

Everybody dodged the bullet on this, so that's a positive and the biggest takeaway as far as I am concerned.

Every day I walk to work past a tree with some bark healing over from where a 17 year old kid planted his mom's Chrysler 300. He was trying to get away from a party that was being busted, doing well over 60 mph down a residential street. As the old drinking/driving poster used to say, "If you drive drunk, you will be lucky if it's only a cop that stops you." Surprisingly, that tree which stopped the kid and the Chrysler wasn't much bigger than an apple tree, and it wore a couple of ribbons for a year. It must have been some solid wood.

My friend who I do chapel with at the homeless shelter was the guy the cops picked up to go help break the news to his family. The mom said it couldn't be her son, because he had come home and went straight to bed. Then my friend had to listen to her go from room to room, calling for her son, and each time she entered a different room, her voice got louder and more panicky until after the second time through each room in the house she let out a scream and broke down. Pretty hard for the cops and my friend to witness that, knowing how that Mom's search for her son was going to end.

But as Red_October said, in most cases "it won't happen again"...although in this particular case, why "it won't happen again" is pretty brutal.

We have lots of places like that around Columbus I can point out. The farm gate to the pasture where a kid rolled his car into a bonfire and burned himself up, the intersection with a dip in it where another kid flipped his car and killed his twin brother, the still remaining skid mark on the median that the kid hit and put his three friends and himself at the bottom of Wagner's Lake for almost a month, the cross at the bottom of the hill that the mother religiously changes decorations each and every month for the last four or five years...all places where "it won't happen again", because it can't.

You're from Columbus as well? Definitely had a lot of very sad situations in town over the last 20 years related to drinking and driving... Doesn't help that Platte County has one of the highest binge drinking rates in the country per capita... but this is a different discussion, I suppose.

Hopefully someone can make Reilly understand what he was risking here. A potential NFL career aside, he could have significantly damaged the lives of many here. Glad nobody was hurt, now learn from it.

I'm sure sober Brandon Reilly fully understands this. You can't use normal reasoning on drunk people. Drunk people are inherently stupid. That's why there's still drunk drivers in 2016 and there will be drunk drivers in 2026. It's not a good reason, but it's the reason.