Riley's Take on Our Offense Going Forward

Riley indicates few changes to the running back or wideout positions other than what fans already know. Mikale Wilbon emerged this spring to become a third I-back Nebraska will use, joining Terrell Newby and Devine Ozigbo. Three players — Graham Nabity, Harrison Jordan and Luke McNitt — will combine to fill Andy Janovich’s role from last season. The wideouts may be the team’s best position group.

How does Riley incorporate all these weapons without weighing down the offense? He’s given the example of a chain restaurant with a giant menu, compared to a restaurant with a small one.

“In-N-Out,” Riley says about the latter. “There’s only three things on it.”

Q: So which menu will your offense in 2016 be closer to?

A: I think we’d take that Cheesecake Factory menu and pare it down. I put the graduate assistants on it yesterday — I want them to make me a video of it, a snapshot of our offense coming out of spring. And I’ll work with (offensive coordinator) Danny Langsdorf and I’ll pare that thing back. My goal was not to have an overabundance of offense in the spring. Frankly, I think our variety can come from our play-action passes and our screen passes. But what we do in the dropback game — that menu’s gotta be pared down.

Q: Was your menu too big last year?

A: Yeah, probably.

Q: But I’m guessing you’ve had menus that were much bigger than last year, right?

A: Yes. Older quarterbacks. When you have Matt Moore, or Sean Mannion, who had been playing since he was a freshman, you didn’t worry about adding anything. He had such a good handle on what you were already doing that you weren’t going to blow a gasket.

But, Riley said, an offensive mind has to be thoughtful with quarterbacks. He uses a word: “careful.” Nebraska’s offense, while often explosive last season, was not always careful with the ball. That’ll need to change in 2016.

“We’ve always been thoughtful about that,” Riley said of not overloading the offense. “And heading into this year, we really have to be really, really careful."

OWH

• Fire 2

Hurting on both lines more than I realized. Scary stuff.

However it's refreshing to get an honest take on it, directly address weaknesses and hear players names of who could step up and who looks like they're progressing.

Good work w men outside the coaching circle to evaluate team cohesion and leadership. Seems like there's a good grip on the short as well as long term plans.

Hopefully guys can step up and get some chemistry during summer and fall camp.

In-n-Out has big menu, albeit a poorly kept secret one.

Damn Oregan people. Trying to connect with Californians and failing miserably. Hopefully this doesn't hurt recruiting.

Are you trying to be funny?

I think he's trying to possibly self-defecate deprecate

• Fire 2

I thought the article / interview was very well done, got into the 'meat' of the matter and Riley was very frank, honest and informative without a bunch of coach BS generalities. I was not discouraged and found the overall impression of the team's possiblities to be positive for the fall.

Mike expects NU to be good this year.

Mike likes the team attitude and camaraderie.

NU interceptions thrown this year is going down.

NU's run game will be better this year.

NU's big play defense will be much improved.

Pretty sure that's what Mike said.