Do We Have The Most Talent Ever?

• 3 weeks later...

Our basketball team is going to have more talent next year than our football team. Probably the first time that has happened before.

Interesting way of looking at it.

If you extrapolate these 13 players out to compare it to 85 on the football team,

It would be similar to

6 :star:star:star:star:star

30 :star:star:star:star

49 :star:star:star or lower

We would probably be very happy with that on the football team.

However, the question is (when comparing the two sports) which do you think will be closer to playing for a conference championship next year?

Our basketball team is going to have more talent next year than our football team. Probably the first time that has happened before.

If you extrapolate these 13 players out to compare it to 85 on the football team,

It would be similar to

However, the question is (when comparing the two sports) which do you think will be closer to playing for a conference championship next year?

I'd give the football team the edge due to the division set up. If the football team was in the east division, I'd definitely give the basketball team the edge. If we were to look at how both finish overall in conference power rankings/standings I'd probably project a similar finish for both but even there the football team is aided by how top heavy the conference is right now.

Well, one thing that taints my comparison is that the BB team has one 5*. That one 5* could be amazing or he could be totally washed out especially with his bad back. But, that appears to be the same as 6 5*s on the football team for which you would have a much bigger chance of a few of them being stud contributors. So, it's hard to give much cred to the 6 5*s for the football team.

So, then looking at 4*s, we will probably have 2-25 4*s on campus next year.

So, yes, I would give the concentration of talent nod to the BB team.

But, as of now, I would say the football team has a bigger chance of playing for the conference title next year.

It would be similar to

The obvious answer is the football team, because we're in the forever-winnable B1G West.... It would of been less obvious next year if Webster would of redshirted as a frosh, and was returning next year:

Webster

Watson

Copeland

Morrow

Jacobson

Roby

Horne

Taylor (Who I predict will have a monster '17-'18 season)

That'd be pretty damn formidable, probably going to be formidable even without Webster.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Didn't want to derail the other tread.

I see a lot of claims that we now have the most talent ever. I say we probably have the most talent in the last 20 years - for sure at the 1-3 spots - but I don't think we really have the most talent ever.

As an exercise, given these two starting lineups, which players would you choose off of each team to make your own starting five? And who would win between these two teams?

95-96

PG - Tyronn Lue - 6-0 - 8.5 ppg, 4.1 apg, 1.4 spg

SG - Erick Strickland - 6-3 - 14.7 ppg, 3.4 apg, 1.7 spg

SF - Jaron Boone - 6-6 - 13.8 ppg, 3.8 apg

PF - Bernard Garner - 6-7 - 10.7 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 0.6 bpg

C - Mikki Moore - 6-11 - 9.0 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 2.0 bpg

Three of these guys played quite awhile in the NBA

15-16

PG - Glynn Watson - 6-0 - 8.6 ppg, 2.4 apg, 1.2 spg

SG - Anton Gill - 6-3 - 2.5 ppg, 0.7 rpg (two years ago at Louisville)

SF - Andrew White - 6-7 - 16.6 ppg, 0.6 apg, 1.1 spg

PF - Michael Jacobson - 6-8 - 4.7 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 0.8 bpg

C - Jordy Tshimanga - 6-11 - Freshman

How the tide has changed for many posters...

I still think we are pretty talented. (Watson, Gill, McVeigh, Jacobson, Tshimanga, Roby, Copeland, Palmer, Taylor & Akenten + any transfers or new recruits fill open spots)

Will still have a pretty solid 2 deep.

I see a lot of claims that we now have the most talent ever. I say we probably have the most talent in the last 20 years - for sure at the 1-3 spots - but I don't think we really have the most talent ever.

As an exercise, given these two starting lineups, which players would you choose off of each team to make your own starting five? And who would win between these two teams?

95-96

15-16

I still think we are pretty talented. (Watson, Gill, McVeigh, Jacobson, Tshimanga, Roby, Copeland, Palmer, Taylor & Akenten + any transfers or new recruits fill open spots)

Yea, they may win a game or two at the rec center. Attrition isn't done, either.

95-96

15-16

Yea, they may win a game or two at the rec center. Attrition isn't done, either.

I'm not as excited about Akenten as everyone else. Rated a decent amount lower that Ed Chang here in state (.8628 for Akenten and .8876 for Chang). He could be very good, but would love to get Chang on board and snag a guy that Creighton usually turns into a success.

Certainly have the space for him at this point.

95-96

15-16

I'm not as excited about Akenten as everyone else. Rated a decent amount lower that Ed Chang here in state (.8628 for Akenten and .8876 for Chang). He could be very good, but would love to get Chang on board and snag a guy that Creighton usually turns into a success.

Rivals still has one more update to their rankings that will be coming out soon. Washut implied Nana could see a nice jump in the rankings.

95-96

15-16

Rivals still has one more update to their rankings that will be coming out soon. Washut implied Nana could see a nice jump in the rankings.

He might...rankings for BBall don't usually change all that much once AAU is done but there are always a few players that rise/fall.